Amazon Parrot

cbaj26

I grew up with a Blue-fronted Amazon parrot named Skipper, and this is my yarn version of him.

This is by far the hardest crochet design project I've tackled. After 2 months spent thinking, re-thinking, trying, un-doing, re-trying, etc., it's finally done. Phew! :hook The yarn version has a hollow beak, and wings that can lift up just like the real thing. I tried to make it as real as possible.

Thanks for looking!

Before:

skipper-excite.jpg

After:

DSC00945.JPG

..and with my son (he can't hug the real thing!)...

DSC00931.JPG

AmazonParrot02#5242948904756943778

That's really cool!! My friend has a bird (it is a Quaker, though). It's name is 'Sweet Pea' (because it is *not* sweet, at all....) :P Anyway great job on your parrot!

Tina

I grew up raising birds, we had an african grey, an amazon, and I can't remember the name of the other two. Plus all the other smaller birds. I hated it, had to clean cages, plus feeding and watering, the smell was horrid until dad moved them outside. But your bird is outstanding, looks so real. Great Job!!!

Thanks for all the nice comments! I think the hardest part was getting the shaping the beak and getting all the proportions to come out just right.

As for the pattern, it is still in chicken scratch form on various sheets of paper right now, it'll probably be another month or so before it's tested and ready to go. When it's done, I'll put it on my site, cbcrochet.com.

Archived