Do you also Knit?

Jempast

Do you also knit?  

97 members have voted

1. 1. Do you also knit?

• Yes
    • No

I learned to crochet in 2005 and knit in 2007 I like both. I have found myself knitting mostly. No wearables yet. Just dishcloths, scarves, and hat's. I would love to learn how to knit socks and learn to use double pointed and cable needles also circulars. :crocheting

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I learned to knit almost 4 years ago, and then I taught myself to crochet, about four months ago with a book/kit my Grandmother(who also crochets) got me for my 16th birthday; the kit came with 50 yards of pea green yarn, a plastic hook, and a yarn needle, It took me less than a half hour to master all the stiches for flat crocheting, after that I was hooked!

I learned to knit long before I learned to crochet. After I learned to crochet in college, I didn't knit for years. Then I started knitting almost exclusively about 5 years ago - making socks. Now I am doing both about equally.

I just found out the the first thing I crocheted - a frog for my bed in the dorm - has been with my college roommate all these years. She is going to find it and give it back for my grandson. :clap

I do both but lately prefer knitting more, it's easier to read a knitting pattern for me. The only crochet patterns I can read are lion brands and some of theirs are so 80's looking. Crochet is my make up and go along thing. Of course I've never crocheted anything that complex, purses, scarves, potholders.

I do 'em both and enjoy 'em both about equally I would say. Since knitting is newer to me I've probably spent more time in the past few years knitting. Each is amazing in its own way. Who'd have thought with hooks sticks and strings that such lovely items could come to life?!

Learned how to knit first. Infact, that is all I did till 1991, when I needed a bride doll for my nephew's wedding.

Sent a Bride doll and 2 champagne glasses with their names and wedding date etched on them.

Once I crocheted the bride doll, I was hooked. No pun intended.:hook

Mary Jo - what is a "bride doll" , do you have any pics of one?? Now you have me curious :) I bet they were beautiful especially with the fancy etched glasses you gave!

I can cast on, make a reasonable garter stitch, MAYBE purl but I really have 2 left thumbs that get all tangled in the yarn when I knit. I'll stick with crocheting. The world is safer. But some knit things are just so darn pretty I wish I could make them.........

Yes, I knit and crochet both. I learned to knit before learning crocheting. One of my aunts taught me how to knit when I was about 8 or 9 yrs. old. I taught myself how to crochet when I was a teenager. I like doing both depending on what I'm making and my mood. :lol:hook

I like to do both. I find I usually have at least one knitting WIP and one crochet WIP going.

The thing I marvel at is how people who start out life crocheting are open-minded to the idea of learning how to knit. I haven't found the same to be true of knitters who start out knitting first...I'm so tired of some knitters acting like you've somehow "graduated" because you've learned how to knit--like you were somehow in kindergarten before when you were "just crocheting."

I just recently taught myself how to knit...haven't actually completed anything yet. My grandmother taught me to crochet when I was about 10 or 11 and I'm 46 now...so of course I'm much more comfortable crocheting but every now and then I'll pick up those knitting needles and try knitting but it seems to take too long that coupled with the fact that I'm such a beginner.

njackson

The thing that's unfair is that when you screw up a crocheting project, you can usually fudge it well enough so that no one will notice. Also, people are not as familiar with crocheting, so you can always tell people it's a "design element." However, if you screw up with knitting, it's GLARINGLY obvious to all.

Archived