Special Olympics

StitchinCindi

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Does anyone know any retailers that sell the color Delft Blue? I've looked at Michaels and JoAnns and neither of them carry that color. I would like to try and make a few scarves?

I have a skein I would be willing to send to you if you pm me your address. I would like to see it used for this special project. I have already send a couple of scarves and I have some other projects I need to complete. I am leaving on vacation tomorrow 9/26 and back on the 7th.:) Linda

Ok, so the project that my sister and I are working on is well along in progress. You may remember, we're doing 20 scarves for her son's first grade class to decorate with drawings and notes of encouragement, pictures etc, as part of their school community service project. I've done 14 scarves. My 17 year old daughter is mostly done with one (it makes her crazy that I'm so much faster, but geez! I've been doing this a long time!) and my sister has made the rest. I got the fun fur edging put on all of them today. Now I just want to add a tag from us on them with our email address (I'm hoping some of the athletes or their families will let us know a little about the athlete the scarf ends up on) and I'll get them sent out to West Virginia for the first grade art. Hopefully get them in the mail by Friday.

I'm really tired of delft blue and white! I'm looking forward to getting back to my Cathedral Window behemoth. And I've got a commissioned ripple to do. Enough projects to get me through the winter, I think. Maybe not! :lol

Pictures soon!

:hookColleen

Well, i finished a 6th scarf today, but didn't take a picture of it yet. I think I'm done with this project for this year. I have too many others I need to get to. :hook

I noticed the new Crochet today Nov/Dec (I think that's the months, it's the most recent) has a 2 color scarf, which would work for this too. The scarf is worked in sports weight, but the guage swatch would be perfect for WW! It has the same stitch pattern and a perfect width, I would think. An actually it could be done in any amount of stitches, as it's done in a simple stitch pattern.

Debbi

I finally found some at walmart. Sold out deft blue first, then white (how do you sell out of 'white':think). Anyway, I started one last night and will make more as I go along until January. My next one will be Drew's Pattern, love that look.

Debbi

Can't wait to see your version! :clap

:ghug I'm so happy that everyone is helping out with this project! Crochetiers rock!!! :ghug

:bounce

They're next on my list after the items I'm making for my local library fundraiser. I know I have enough for at least 2 scarves, maybe 3 with the few skeins I managed to find. Then the crunch for Christmas presents. Figured those can be last. Family & friends are willing to wait. lol Gotta love them.

I'm mailing out 6 this week.....does anyone know if they have a running total anywhere?

A running total from Crochetville members would be nice, but I don't think there is one anywhere.

Does anyone have any suggestions on the note to put with the scarf? I have some ideas, but not sure. I know just about anything would be nice, but I would love to hear suggestions... TIA

Debbi

I didn't inlcude a message. My sister came back from winter olympics with so much stuff I opted to not include one. I'm not very good at sentimental stuff anyway.

Here are the 2 scarves I've made for the Special Olympics. The first one is the pattern from the Coats and Clark website. The second one is the "One Skein scarf" pattern from SnB.....I just modified it for my needs. I haven't written any notes for them, but I will........Pics should be clickable

th_SpecialOlympicScarf2.jpg

th_SpecialOlympicScarf1.jpg

Well, we boxed up 16 scarves to send to my sister in West Virginia for the first graders to decorate up with notes and pictures. She's made 4 more, so that covers the 20 students in the class. I don't think I ever want to see another skein of delft blue in this lifetime! :lol Here's a pic of my daughter with one of the scarves we made.

get-attachment.aspx?uid=1.22912788&folder=NewMail&partId=4

We edged them with Not-So-Fun-Fur which actually did look kind of cute.

So we're done here! How is everyone else doing with this project?

:hookColleen

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived