Do you Remember...

The first thing I attempted and the first thing I made are 2 different things. The first thing I attempted was a baby afghan that ended up more like a washcloth and I didn't crochet again for about 4 years but picked it up again and made a different baby afghan. Ok so I guess they are the same lol.

LOL I crocheted this really long thing with a P hook and many different colors with various two strands held together. It was going to be a seat cover for my car. It was horrible lol.

a 13" Bride doll for my nephew and his soon to be wife. I had the pattern on one side and a book of crochet stitches on the other.:lol

now who would have guessed that - LOL!! that is tooo funny!! would love to see a pic of that as i am sure it was beautiful - what a wonderful gift

i think mine was an afghan....no actually i think it was potholders and lots of them, then an afghan and lots of them - lol!!

my first knitting project is the funny one...it was to be a scarf for my mom (I think she still has it somewhere) but it had every color imaginable and i didnt know how to finish it off so it was like 20 ft long (not exaggerating - it was like the energizer bunny - it kept going and going and going - LOL) and it still has the needles hooked to it - that was like 20 yrs ago - now i cant get my hands to cooperate with my brain and cant knit to save my butt - lol!!

a long scarf with fringe made out of Red Heart Jeweltone. I was so proud of that scarf and wore it every day in the winter. Still have it. :hook

think it was scarf or potholder cant remember right now lol it was long time ago.. but my mom showed me how to crochet on driving vacation from calif to fla. lol tryin to keep me from driving my dad crazy!

I made a giant granny square blanket. I don't know if I ever finished it or what happened to it. The first thing I usually claim is a sampler afghan my gramma bought the yarn for in white, pink & green. It was pretty ambitious for a beginner. The squares are a multitude of sizes. I still don't really have gage down that well...:think

I was 8yr old when I learned how to crochet and I made a pink scarf to match my coat. I can remember working on it during a spelling lesson in second grade and my teacher took it away for a week. I was crushed. I finished it and was so proud. When I was in high school I found it in the back of my closet and thought "I was proud of this, What was I thinking?" The rows wern't even and there were a different number of stitches in each row. Thats ok I guess we all have to start somewhere.

• 2 weeks later...

The first thing I ever crocheted was a short white vest with long, long, white fringe. I actually wore it to a Saints game. It was in 1969.

The first thing I ever knitted was a strip...10 stitches, in garter stitch until the end. I wasn't taught at the time how to bind off, so I just ripped it out, rolled it into a ball, and started over again. great practice!

Placemats! I decided to learn how to crochet since I was running out of people to give cross stitch items to. So I went and bought the kit that has the book, some bobbins, some hooks and a counter (still not sure how to use that!) and the gage checker. I also got some holiday yarns. I decided a great way to practice, would be to make some placemats for mom for Christmas. I did my first one. And each of the remaining three I'd do the beginning chain then hold it up to the first one to see if it was the same size. Not one of those placemats is the same size! They're all different!

That same year I also did an afghan for Grandpa. I remembered the blue I used (an ombre) I ran out of, went to get more and the store didn't have the big skeins. So I got the little ones. Yeah, there's a different patterning in the middle of the afghan :lol

Archived