Do you Remember...

I remember vividly. I was 12 at the time and my mom was teaching me (she is not the most patient person) to make a granny square blanket for a baby doll. I got to pick out the colors: chocolate brown and baby pink.

My mother would not lay off about holding the yarn right. :lol I still do not hold it right and if she sees me crocheting she is always saying something about it. :lol

I knew that I'd have to repeat the same thing a lot of times to get my tension to even out, so I made an afghan. It was supposed to be for my couch, but it ended up on my oldest son's bed. Then I had to make one for each of my other two children. Then my sister asked for one... SO I made an afghan a month for 4 months.

• 2 months later...

my very first crochet thing was a baby afghan for my daughter caus ei was pregnant with her... my friend that taught me was a new grand ma and she showed me a afghan and i natually wanted one and she said if u want to learn she would teach me... so i learned.. man it was so hard at first learning my chain and tentsion... once i got the tentsion down i took off... i would love to see her again to show her how much the craft she taught me has taken off..

the first thing that I managed to finish? An Amigurumi Pig, you can tell it was my first because it's knoted, and the stuffing is practicaly comeing out! I've come a long way from then!

• 2 weeks later...

My friend Alicia taught me how to sc once night in the eighth grade, and when she left the next morning, I tried to remember what she had tried to teach me.

Turns out, five hours later, I had a pair of booties that I proudly paraded all over town for the next week and a half. (Even though it was just a bunch of mismatched squares sewn together... LOL they look awful next to things I make now) I didn't follow a pattern or anything (I actually only learned how to READ patterns like, a month ago. haha) but I'm still in love almost five years later! :D

A giant granny square afghan for my grandma 30 years ago, that to this day is still in the lake cottage still in one piece. And that cottage gets rented out and its a miracle it is still there. It was so heavy and took forever to make the bigger it got:lol

Archived