Keeping Track of Rows

How do you keep track of your rows/rounds when crocheting? For knitting, I use a barrel row counter which I can attach to my needles. Is there a similar gadget-thingy for crochet? I know I can use paper and pen but it's kind of inconvenient when I'm crocheting on my commute to and from work.

I use a pegged row counter. It is actually for knitting but I like it for crocheting also. You can see what I am talking about here.

I use it for the rows and also sections of pattern repeats.

Hope this helps,

Toni

I use an aluminum stitch holder, the smallest size I have, used for knitting when I am crocheting. A picture is here: http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog.jsp?CATID=cat2874&PRODID=prd2740

And I just move it up as I go along. If I forget what row I am on I just start at the stitch holder and count each row underneath it. I don't know if this is an accurate way but it helps me.

I have also read on here that some people make their own stitch markers. Just do a search here and see what you run across. I am sure others will be along soon to give you some better tips.

I use one of those knitting row counters that you hang from a circular needle, only I attach a safety pin and pin it to the end of the row. Each time I finish a row, I increase the counter, and repin the pin to the next row. Either that, or you could just tie it to the tail from your starting chain.

I use the starting tail and just put it across the row when I start the second round. Then I know to reset it when I get back around to it. This also helps keep track of where the round changes because the tail gives you a straight line from the center to the outer edge where you're working.

I'm afraid I just use plain safety pins to mark the rounds & use the new "super sticky" post-it notes attached to the pattern or next to me & mark them off as I go.

I tried the little gauge things, but I found that I would get distracted & forget to move the counter....

I take a small stitch holder, and put a barrel stitch counter on it. If the project is heavy enough, I will put the stitch holder on the project. If not, I keep it with the project. I also use Lion Brand stitch markers. I'll take 4 of one color, and a bunch of another color. On every row I'll put one of the 4, and when I've done the next row after that, I'll put one of the other color, and remove the 4 markers from the previous rows. Thus, every 5th round/row is marked. I do not remove those until I finish the project. It also makes it easy to count the rounds/rows if I forget where I am in the scheme of things. I also have a small notebook I use on certain projects, and will check off rows as I go along. Some projects I use all three methods on. I hope this makes sense.

I have a little box of these plastic ring things that pop open easily that I use for stitch markers because I don't have "official" stitch markers. And as far as keeping track of my rows, I do it the old fashioned way - I write down the number of the row I just did on a piece of paper. That way when I go back to working on whatever it is, I know that the last number written on the paper is the last completed row. It works for me. I think if I tried to keep track on an actual clicker counter I'd get messed up because I'd inevitably get an extra click in there somewhere. I wouldn't mean to do it, but I know me, and I know it would happen. :lol

I've thought of sliding the barrel counter onto my hook but most of my hooks have handle grips which are too thick for the counter.

I'm mostly looking for ways or counters that can be attached to the project or myself so that I won't drop it on the bus/train.

There're many good ideas here. Please keep them coming. Thanks! :)

Sometimes I do tally marks on a piece of paper. Another way is to take a piece of scrap yarn and tie a knot into it for every row you do. Then you can tie it to a safety pin and keep it hooked to the bottom/edge of your project. I tend to use this method if I know I'm going to have to end up not working on it for a while and would lose a sheet of tallies.

I have seen (but never used) bracelet row counters. It's a bracelet with 2 sets of different colored beads that you pass through a ring on the bracelet as you complete rows.

I googled "bracelet row counter" and came up with several sites that sell these and give instructions on how to make your own. I think something like this would be ideal for crocheting while commuting.

I like to use the soft plastic stitch markers by Boye on afghans. I connect one for every ten rows (all on the same side) and leave them in until finished.

For doilies, I also make a copy of the pattern and check off each row completed as I go. ;)

for rows I just post it notes and tic marks, for rounds, especialy with animal legs and arms, if the row has 10 stitches and you need to do 10 rows I crochet 100 stitches. I never mark the beginning of each row.

I use saftey pins and my brain... which is not a fool proof method, especially when someone tries to talk to me!!

I have never seen those counters, I would like to invest in one someday soon and save my sanity!

Archived