C'Ville Bad Influence

Those of you across the pond are probably not aware of the fact that the European Soccer Championships are taking place in Austria and Switzerland at the moment. And it is A Big Deal. Especially because Germany has just qualified for the semi-finals, beating one of the favourites, Portugal.

Last night bf and I sat down to watch the match. Actually, I just sat down beside him because I needed his head. You see, I'm trying to learn how to crochet a hat, which everyone says is easy, but it's not. I'm on my fifth attempt and I needed a head model. So this is what it looked like:

BF: Come ON, MOVE! The referee is BLIND! That was OFFSIDE, for crying out -

I'd lean over and plop a half-made hat on his head, peer into his face to see how well it sat, remove it, continue crocheting -

BF: "What on earth was that? Do you call that a PASS? Are they even AWAKE? Where's the referee now? That was a foul, a FOUL, that WAS A FOUL - "

I leaned over again, plopped it on his head again, while he tried to brush me away and remove woolly hat.

BF: "He deserves a YELLOW card, you blind FOOL! This is FOOTBALL, not HANDBALL! Get the ball up the field, UP THE FIELD! What are they..."

And I'd lean in again and throw the hat on to his head. Small tussle ensued as he tried to fob me off, remove hat, shout at TV screen to impart his superior football wisdom to the German national football team. So I finally got up, checked the patterns on the 'Ville, check pictures of other people's hats, sat back down and kept going.

After 45 mins, in half-time, he said - half-seriously - "Those women are a bad influence on you."

"Which women?"

"Those crochet women. You're always making stuff. And sending parcels. And getting boxes full of wool in the mail. And writing emails. And you're on that forum twenty times a day - what happens in the world of crochet that's so urgent, you have to check it up every hour?"

:lol

He's right, you know! You're a bad influence on me!

Do any other DHs, FHs of BFs agree?

Thank you for the smile and chuckle :)

I dragged my mannequin out of storage the other day because I

have hopes of getting her sold. Then I used her to try on a poncho

I am trying to make. Makes it a lot easier to get more ideas that way.

I think the husband would have a cow, if I tried it on him so I could

step back and view it better.

I think you got me beat about checking into this forum though.

I only do it like 5 or 6 times a week.

:lol:rofl My husband says the same thing! He thinks I'm obsessed! Which I guess probably I am! I check in on this forum probably at least 5x's per day, more if I have time! I like to look at the older posts too! But he doesn't care much, he just rolls his eyes at me and he likes to know that he isn't the only husband married to a crocheting obsessed woman! He loves it when I read what other women post about their husbands doing something, like modeling creations or helping sew things, or finding yarn in weird places, etc. because then he knows he isn't alone and they have this "secret society" :lol So tell him he's part of a new elite "club"!!!:lol

My husband feels the same way at times.....especially when certain chores around the house are not getting done:blush.....but you guys are the only ones who understand why crocheting is so important to me! It seems to me that Miss Crochet's BF is a bit involved with football! Now see......I just DON'T get THAT!:lol

My husband says, "Imagine how much more crocheting and of course other things you'd get done if you weren't checking online and oohing and aaahing over patterns."

He does have a point....oh well.

My husband says, "Imagine how much more crocheting and of course other things you'd get done if you weren't checking online and oohing and aaahing over patterns."

He does have a point....oh well.

That's what mine says too. Men, they just don't know how to set priorities ;)

When I told mine, he wanted to know what it was, who was on it, what we talk about, why I like it. Well, I told him that we like crocheting, we help each other with life's problems: some small and some not so small. He looked as tho' he was trying to keep from laughing. I asked him what the chuckling was about. He said, "It sounds like you have found a nice place. I'm glad for you." He'd never heard of people looking for a sewing guild on the web.

He's requested a couple of times that I post a question on C'ville to find out what you all think about various matters. He agrees with me that having so many different ways of looking at something can give you choices and feedback you wouldn't have if you only asked folks who look at life the way you do. Or if you only ask someone who disagrees with you.

Now, about those spectator sports. I've never understood the desire to watch someone else do something, out there in the weather, or on the tv. Crochet gives lots of symbols of love, and creature comfort, to boot!

Well, I think that crocheting and checking the 'Ville is a lot more sane than watching people get a ball, run two feet and then fall down. That seems to be what most sports are and so many men go crazy for it. I guess I'm lucky that my DH would rather watch Star Trek or play video games...

:lol HI am Sheila and I am a crochetville addict:lol

My addiction started when I happen to hop around and found this place.. then one post started then another and another.

My computer is in the best location for hopping around on here its in my living room!So when doing house work I just plop down and have a looky then hop back then on then back.:lol

Could that be considered as a little part of a workout?:lol

Now, about those spectator sports. I've never understood the desire to watch someone else do something, out there in the weather, or on the tv. Crochet gives lots of symbols of love, and creature comfort, to boot!

Okay, I have to admit it...my husband is a "NASCAR & Football" widower! :yes Now I'm not obsessed, but I do enjoy watching NASCAR and I always watch the Green Bay Packers when they're on locally (I'm in Texas). But, he does understand my crocheting habit. He likes to draw and enjoys woodworking, too. So, if we go to Hobby Lobby, he sometimes spends more than I do! :)

Poor BF. He only watches football every two YEARS - the European Championship and the World Cup. He - like every other red-blooded German male (and a great many German females) - has been swept along by Germany's unexpected success. So I don't mind him yelling at the screen - and he good-naturedly allows me to use him as a hat model. Actually, I just sneaked up on him from behind while he was on the computer and tried out my first beanie on him. His only comment was that I must be mad to be making woolly hats in 30°C heat... :lol Yes, I am.

Those of you across the pond are probably not aware of the fact that the European Soccer Championships are taking place in Austria and Switzerland at the moment. And it is A Big Deal. Especially because Germany has just qualified for the semi-finals, beating one of the favourites, Portugal.

Last night bf and I sat down to watch the match. Actually, I just sat down beside him because I needed his head. You see, I'm trying to learn how to crochet a hat, which everyone says is easy, but it's not. I'm on my fifth attempt and I needed a head model. So this is what it looked like:

BF: Come ON, MOVE! The referee is BLIND! That was OFFSIDE, for crying out -

I'd lean over and plop a half-made hat on his head, peer into his face to see how well it sat, remove it, continue crocheting -

BF: "What on earth was that? Do you call that a PASS? Are they even AWAKE? Where's the referee now? That was a foul, a FOUL, that WAS A FOUL - "

I leaned over again, plopped it on his head again, while he tried to brush me away and remove woolly hat.

BF: "He deserves a YELLOW card, you blind FOOL! This is FOOTBALL, not HANDBALL! Get the ball up the field, UP THE FIELD! What are they..."

And I'd lean in again and throw the hat on to his head. Small tussle ensued as he tried to fob me off, remove hat, shout at TV screen to impart his superior football wisdom to the German national football team. So I finally got up, checked the patterns on the 'Ville, check pictures of other people's hats, sat back down and kept going.

After 45 mins, in half-time, he said - half-seriously - "Those women are a bad influence on you."

"Which women?"

"Those crochet women. You're always making stuff. And sending parcels. And getting boxes full of wool in the mail. And writing emails. And you're on that forum twenty times a day - what happens in the world of crochet that's so urgent, you have to check it up every hour?"

:lol

He's right, you know! You're a bad influence on me!

Do any other DHs, FHs of BFs agree?

It was sheer craziness over here when Germany won last night...DH didn't expect Germany to win (he was happy they did though) It was a good hour before the horn honking stopped.

And I have to laugh that your DH tells you this place is a bad influence, whereas soccor obviously isn't a bad influence on him????

I take it he was rooting for Germany?

Oh am I thankful, my hubby has never said anything even remotely negative about the amt of time I spend on the Ville or any other crochet sites I am on, LOL and this thing abt yelling at the TV, sorry but I am one of them who yells at the TV during NASCAR, NFL and NBA, LOL

I'm told at times I am worse than the guys, LOL....I know they can't hear me but I'm rooting on my team/driver.......heck, when you're at the game/race they can't hear you there either so what the heck!!! :cheer:clap:yay:cheer:clap

I like to be a spectator of sports, but not play sports, mainly because I'm just not coordinated enough to be even half way decent at it...I get the yelling and what not...I get the whole "getting wrapped up in the passion of it..."

Besides, while the game is on, I can crochet...

And we don't yell at Crochetville, we just "Ooh!" and "Aah!". I send links to my favorite show-and-tell photos to my mother. She admires them, too. And I know she doesn't shout at the photos.

I don't go online when my husband is home too often and only for a short moment if that. He doesn't say anything about my crocheting either. And he better not because he's on the computer almost all his free time! Which ironically is probably why I don't use it when he's home. lol

There's something to be said for having more than one computer in the house. It's one of the reasons I bought a laptop and have this go-anywhere internet connection. I only watch about an hour of tv a month, but those visits to C'ville....

I watch wrestling (yes i am that kind of chick), however I have no idea about any other sport & refuse to let it be watched in my house. But to be able to pay attention to my wrestling I need to crochet. Otherwise I will have no idea what happens 10 mins after the show is over. But it is hilarious to see my kids yell at the 'bad' wrestlers that cheat. My husband gets annoyed with me for making 'holey' blankets. I reply saying, "At least the holes where supposed to be that way. Where as when you try something it is holey because you screwed up." He turns to walk away looking like he is going to pout. It is hilarious when we have this discussion.

These matches start after midnight as far as Indian time is concerned. Being European matches they do not concern India in any way, and India is a country which has no presence in international football in any case. This does not prevent my husband, my son, and a few thousand other Indian males from sitting up at night to watch, to shout, and cheer, and the next morning they get up and go to work/college to discuss the matches. They even choose teams to support, on what basis I don't know.

Compared to that my once-a-day visit to Crochetville is the height of sanity.

Archived