String and Twine project from "Simple Crochet"

faithdarling

Here is a project that I did, inspired by/loose pattern from Erika Knight's book Simple Crochet. The material I used was natural colored kitchen string, and %100 Jute garden twine. The twine, especially, was pretty hard on my hands, but I feel like it was worth it for the textural aspect. The Jute looks like hemp, but is way cheaper -- a little over a dollar per ball at a hardware store (Home Depot). The dark brown stripes at the top of the one bottle and the middle of the other are a bit of yarn left over from another project that I used for added contrast.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y257/faithdarling/Fiber%20Art/DSCF0655.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y257/faithdarling/Fiber%20Art/DSCF0656.jpg

How cool! I found an old book at a yard sale that has patterns for bowls, etc from different materials (jute, etc). I wondered about making them, but now you've inspired me! And the price at Home Depot-must check it out.

Wonderful job!

The twine, especially, was pretty hard on my hands, but I feel like it was worth it for the textural aspect. The Jute looks like hemp, but is way cheaper -- a little over a dollar per ball at a hardware store (Home Depot).

They are great!:)

I've been thinking about using jute. How is it to work with? (must be tough on the hand)

Great job! Is the basket quite firm? It looks like it would be. Do the bottles cozies go over top of a bottle? :manyheart

The basket is kind of "free form". Firm enough to stand up on it's own, as you can see, but kind of more like a free standing sack of sorts.

The bottle cozies are pictured pulled over wine bottles. I made the cozies to fit those bottles specifically.

Really, the patterns for both are loosely based on the ones found in Simple Crochet, and I think that's how Erika meant for it to be. If you check out the book, you'll see what I mean.

Working with jute was hard on the hands, but I just worked with a band-aid over the blister that formed, and it was okay.

This project was so simple because the whole thing is in single crochet, although a working knowledge of increasing and decreasing is needed, as well as working in the round and adding colors.

In order for the color changes to happen smoothely, I slip-stitched at the end of whatever chunk of color I was doing to even it out, and then added the next color. Then when I wove in the ends, I wove them in such a way that it evened it out a little more.

Thanks for all the complements -- I am really happy with the way they turned out too. :)

Those are very cool. Maybe wearing some fitted gloves would be good since the twine is rough on the hands. Great job!

Bec

unreal banana peel, I have thought about doing something with string, but I think I would have troubles with my hands as I suffer from dry hands

Fantastic job

Archived