String and Twine project from "Simple Crochet"

faithdarling

That is so much fun! I've been considering making a bag based on a store-bought (crocheted) bag my mom has, which would look great in exactly the same materials - natural cotton string and twine. Now I know it can be done, so I may try it!

By the way, the twine being hard on one's hands occured to me. I thought a pair of rubber kitchen gloves might help, or maybe even latex gloves if you could get your doctor to give you a pair or something.

...the twine being hard on one's hands occured to me. I thought a pair of rubber kitchen gloves might help, or maybe even latex gloves if you could get your doctor to give you a pair or something.

That's a good idea, but I'm not sure if I'd still be able to grip the string that way. If it would slow me down any, it would probaby cause me to stop the project alltogether because I'm impatient like that. :blush And now I have a callous, so I can crochet with anything!! :lol

• 2 months later...

They're very striking. I've always had baskets in the back of my mind to do but wasn't sure if I could find sturdy enough yarn. Now I know what to buy.

Here is a project that I did, inspired by/loose pattern from Erika Knight's book Simple Crochet. The material I used was natural colored kitchen string, and %100 Jute garden twine. The twine, especially, was pretty hard on my hands, but I feel like it was worth it for the textural aspect. The Jute looks like hemp, but is way cheaper -- a little over a dollar per ball at a hardware store (Home Depot). The dark brown stripes at the top of the one bottle and the middle of the other are a bit of yarn left over from another project that I used for added contrast.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y257/faithdarling/Fiber%20Art/DSCF0655.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y257/faithdarling/Fiber%20Art/DSCF0656.jpg

Archived