Bumpy Textured Dishcloth-Pattern Added to 1st Post!

I was looking for a dishcloth pattern that was more textured to make scrubbing 'stuck on gunk' easier to remove and wasn't happy with what I was finding. So I grabbed my trusty K hook and some cotton yarn and started piddling to see what I could come up with. It took a while, but I finally stumbled onto this. I like this one. I decided the K works well with this pattern so it won't be quite as dense of a fabric and will wring out easier and dry faster.

It is very easy to do. It is basically a sctog, but instead of actually decreasing, I started the sctog in the same stitch as the completed sctog just done. I hope that makes sense. I will try to get something written up a little better. I haven't written a pattern before.

th_BumpyTexturedDishcloth1.jpg th_BumpyTexturedDishcloth1a.jpg

click for bigger pictures This is a side view to see the texture.

Ok, here is the pattern. This is the first pattern I have written, so if it doesn't make sense or you have any questions, please let me know. It is really easy and they work up fairly quickly. I have made 4 tonight in varying sizes. To give you an idea of how much yarn is needed, I made 3 out of one 2 ounce skein of Sugar 'N Cream.....they are 7 1/2", 5" and 4". I had a tiny bit left over.

Here is a picture of the 3 dishcloths I made from 1 skein of S & C (2 ounce).

th_BumpyTexturedDishclothFadedDenim.jpg

clickable

Here we go:

BUMPY TEXTURED DISHCLOTH

Any Cotton yarn and hook size of your choice. I used a K hook so it wouldn’t be such a tight weave.

Make a chain the length you desire (it will be the width).

Row 1: SC in second chain from the hook and each chain across. Chain 1, turn.

Row 2: SC the first 2 stitches together. *Insert hook into the last stitch of the sctog stitch, yo and pull up a loop (2 loops on hook), insert hook into the next stitch, yo and pull up a loop (3 loops on hook), yo and pull hook through all 3 loops on hook. Repeat from * to the end of the row, sc in last stitch (there will be 2 stitches in the last sc). Chain 1, turn.

Repeat Row 2 until desired size is reached.

Last Row: sc in each stitch across.

If desired, you can put a sc border on all 4 sides, or any other border you choose. The sides are even with this pattern, so a border is not necessary unless that is your preference.

Created and Designed by

*Melanie Henderson*

Pattern may be copied for personal use, but is not to be sold!

Extra Note:

When I do my first row of sc, I like to go into the back bump of the chain. It gives the beginning edge a more finished look. Plus when you do the last row a sc row, the first row and last row matches. That way you don’t have to do an edging unless you want a more finished look. For my dishcloths, I don’t normally put an edging on mine, since it makes it easier to wring them out without one.

Thank you for the kind words!!

I just put this through the microwave clean up test. There was crusty spaghetti sauce stuck on the inside (had no idea DD didn't clean it up) and this dishcloth got it right off :clap:clap

I'm still working on writing up a pattern for it.

It is very easy to do. It is basically a sctog, but instead of actually decreasing, I started the sctog in the same stitch as the completed sctog just done. I hope that makes sense. I will try to get something written up a little better. I haven't written a pattern before.

Makes perfect sense to me and looks like a really practical dish cloth, good luck with writing your pattern, don't be afraid to ask for help with that.

So I grabbed my trusty K hook and some cotton yarn and started piddling to see what I could come up with.

Is piddling the word you meant to use? I would have said fiddling myself, in Aus piddling would suggest you're using the bathroom :lol Just a funny little quirk about languages huh!

Makes perfect sense to me and looks like a really practical dish cloth, good luck with writing your pattern, don't be afraid to ask for help with that.

Is piddling the word you meant to use? I would have said fiddling myself, in Aus piddling would suggest you're using the bathroom :lol Just a funny little quirk about languages huh!

I never thought about what it meant in different countries :blush

I'll have to remember that for the next time I pick up my hook and yarn and start uuummmmmm......creating :lol

I love the way the colors make a pattern what colorway did you use? Thanks for the pattern as well,now you get to have one of those little pattern icons right?:)

I love the way the colors make a pattern what colorway did you use? Thanks for the pattern as well,now you get to have one of those little pattern icons right?:)

Unfortunately I have no idea what colorway it is. It is yarn that was gifted to me with no wrapper. I am pretty sure I have used it before, so I will look through my crochet picture journal and see if I can find it.

I am working on a variation of the pattern right now. This one won't be quite as textured, but will still have some texture. I am having trouble keeping the edges straight, so I may have to put it down until tomorrow. I think my pain pills and muscle relaxer have kicked in and are making my head a tad fuzzy.

I hadn't even thought about one of the pattern icons :eek

Wow!! I like it!! I have some of that yarn and now I have pattern to use for it. Great job and keep up the good work :cheer:clap. Thanks for sharing!!

That's Sugar' n Cream Playtime

Very nice! I love making dishcloths, so this will definitely go on my to do list (which is growing ever longer, LOL).

Wow!! I like it!! I have some of that yarn and now I have pattern to use for it. Great job and keep up the good work :cheer:clap. Thanks for sharing!!

That's Sugar' n Cream Playtime

Thank you for letting us know it is Playtime.

I should have known that since I found it on clearancea few weeks ago at HL for $1.00 a skein and bought 10 skeins of it. My memory just isn't what it once was :lol

You are so very welcome!! I bought some, gosh who knows when, and I made some hats from a pattern I found at the sugar n cream website. I know exactly how you feel about the memory thing :lol!!!!

don't forget to start a new post for your pattern in the patterns section as it will get lost in show and tell forever (people don't look much at show n tell when they want to find a pattern is all)

Archived