Does hook Brand really matter?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Absolutely!

Boye and Bates have completely different shaped heads. Boye has a big fat hook and Bates is an 'inline' (same size as the shaft). It's just a matter of personal preference.

When I started learning I couldn't use a Bates to save my life. After a few years of crocheting I tried it again and I never want to go back!

When I start teaching DD's friends to crochet I always give them a Boye - it's just easier for them to use.

To me, it's mostly about materials and the shape of the point and throat. For instance, Boye hooks tend to be rougher aluminum than the Bates hooks. In addition, the point is very rounded, while I prefer the sharper point of the Bates hook to ease insertion into stitches. And the throat on the Boye hooks is much shallower than the Bates hooks. I like a deep trough so I don't drop my yarn off the hook as much and it's much easier when working with multiple strands. So there you have it.

Some people also have a preference regarding other things such as plastic/aluminum/rosewood/bamboo, large round handles, soft handles (like the Clover SoftTouch), or just plain handles. It's just about personal preference.

I would recommend, however, that you get a few different hooks in the same size from different brands and try them all out with different textures of yarn. I used Boye for so long because that was the first set I bought and I didn't know any different. When I finally bought a Bates Silvalume hook and tried it, I found it soooo much more enjoyable to use and much easier (I didn't slip my yarn nearly as much and could easily insert into even the tightest stitches). Later on, I tried wood (hated it), bamboo (hated it), plastic (useful for some yarns), and soft touch (which has the same rounded and rough point as Boye, so didn't like that either). But definitely broaden your hook horizons. :plane:D

To me it isn't the brand name. It is the shape of the hook and the proportions, and the material from which the hook is made. I like inline hooks. The main manufacturer of inline hooks in the US is Coats and Clark which has the Susan Bates line. There are also other inline hooks in the States, but the other brands I know of only come in plastic. I'm fond of metal hooks and the occasional wooden one.

Some folks prefer a hook which isn't inline. The main brand which is easy to find is Boye.

It's really just a matter of preference. Some like slicker hooks, some with a bit of drag. Some like to hold the hook up close to the hook itself, others farther back. Some like a thumb rest, some don't. Some want them padded, with thick grips. Some want decorations on the tip of the shaft. Some want to be able to hold the whole hook within the palm of the hand.

I like lightweight, smooth, not too short and not too long. I like to hold the hook up close to the hook itself. I keep mine waxed and smooth. I prefer my vintage, made-in-the-USA, Bates hooks and my new Bates Quicksilvers to the made-in-other-places Bates. I'll use the new Silvalumes, though. I have an old bone hook I like, but it's tricky to use as the throat is tapered. I gave all my non-inline hooks away, save one, just to show folks the difference.

There are probably as many kinds and sorts of preferences as there are crocheters, or as Jimbo would say, crochetiers.

This is an interesting topic and I've been wondering about buying new hooks.

The ones I have are Boye and they just happened to be what WalMart sold in pack of 7 hooks. I never gave it much thought. I have one inline hook that might be a Bates I guess, which was given to me when I was just starting up and I do prefer it. I seem to be able to crochet faster with it.

Thanks for all the replies....this is very interesting to see everyone's like/dislikes. I have only used the Boye hooks so far, I think I am going to stop on the way home and get a set of Bates to try.

Also Gran mentioned keeping her hooks waxed and smooth? What do you use to wax hooks?

I secretly wish I had my Grandmother's crochet hooks. It would have made her happy to see I finally got the hang of it.

I just use wax paper because it's inexpensive and handy. Hooklady recommended Renaissance wax which is a furniture wax. I've used it on wood and it makes it nice and slick. Costs quite a bit though. Katchkan might know more about this.

I have a neighbor who prefers Lion plastic hooks. I told her about filing the rough places with an emery board and she's happy as a clam with them.

I recently got the packet of Bates Crystallites (pretty sure that's what they're called) because I wanted L, M, and N and figured it can't hurt to have extras of G-K and P :lol. I noticed some have a rough spot as well up towards the hook part. I did the same thing you suggested, pulled out an emery board, filed and then used the finer side to smooth.

This is one of those times Mom was right ~ Susan Bates hooks are better. The throat is deeper so it catches and holds the yarn better.

I much prefer Bates over Boye. I have a couple Boye for back-up but rarely use them. I recently bought my first wooden hook, an L made in forest palmwood. It's so smooth and flows easily, I wish I had a whole set of them. I also just bought a set of Clover Soft-Touch and over the week of adjusting, they are fabulous.

I only use Susan Bates because of the inline shape. I tried Boye but it kept splitting the yarn.

It really is a personal preference. There are those who swear by Boye, others who swear by Susan Bates.

I'd suggest you try both and see what works best for you.

:cheerI am not even sure what brand of hooks I use because the packaging is well and truely gone and most of them do not have a brand on them, just the size.

My preference is for a hook that is the right size, feels good and does the job.

:eekI certainly do not like the thought of the hooks with the bobbles, lights and fancy do-dads on them.

Give me a plain old normal hook any day.

Have fun.

Colleen:hug

I don't like Boye at all. I have trouble using them, takes me forever to crochet even a simple wash cloth. Love bates and clover. Funny thing is I'm the same way with knitting needles, just don't like the feel of Boye.

I've also noticed Boye hooks are larger and throw off my gauge so I have to experiment more.

I prefer boye hooks to bates, I have a few bates and I just can't seem to use them. I also prefer metal to plastic, I bought some large hooks from Annies Attic and I just can't use them at all, don't like the shape and the yarn doesn't move well on them.

Put me down for Boye. I just gave away my last Bates hook. I just don't like the inline head.

For bigger hooks I have a crystalites N, and then the class blue plastic Q and grey plastic P. I am not fond of any of them. I have been begging my little brother to make me a few large hooks our of wood, but I haven't been sucessful so far. Maybe I'd best go strait to Grandpa, I bet I'd have better luck. Someday i am going to buy my very own Jimbo to.

I use Bates steel hooks for thread and Boye aluminum for all other yarn. Boye aluminum has a longer throat than Bates aluminum and I think that's why I prefer them. I have some plastic hooks (unknown brand) that I am forced to use because I can't get aluminum hooks in the really large sizes.

I received 3 Clover hooks and German made hook in a swap that I am dying to try out. I have some other projects that need to get finished first.

Sheryl

I'm another Bates fan and I really love using my Quicksilvers. I also have some beautiful cherry wood hooks (no idea who made them) that my husband bought me for Christmas a couple of years ago. I think they are wonderful and feel good in my hand, but they seem to be slower than my Quicksilvers and I never take them out of my house. Losing one would feel like a tragedy to me.

Archived