Marilyn Monroe - Warhol Style - Afghan

Becks

Despite having a horrible migraine for the past two days, I still wanted to get this posted so here goes....

My Marilyn Monroe afghan a la Andy Warhol! :yay

th_DSC00002-18.jpgth_DSC00001-18.jpg

It's 85 inches tall and 65 inches wide.

I stood on a bench and still couldn't manage to get the whole afghan into one shot. Sorry about that. :P

It is crocheted tunisian style, (that is; using the afghan stitch), with a size J cabled afghan hook. It's not a particularly long cable on the hook either. Only 15 inches of cable.

So, I made the blanket in three panels. Going across. The top three Marilyns are one panel. The middle three another panel. And the bottom three the last panel.

th_DSC00003-20.jpg

Here's a slightly closer-up picture.

I wanted the afghan to look like the pop-artist Andy Warhol's "Marilyn" artwork from 1967

It's certainly not an exact reproduction by any means. I just wanted to make it as close to his "style" as I could.

I decided on the colors by using all left-over yarns I had from previous crochet projects. (Except for black. I am always running out of black.)

Anyway, for example the bottom middle Marilyn is done in all the left-over colors from my Partridge/Mondrian afghan I finished last. The middle Marilyn, which I thought would look the neatest, is made with almost all "Wiggle" brand yarn. That's why she looks sort of "dotted" with colors. Those are actually the "wiggles" found in the yarn. I thought it looked kinda like newspaper print.

th_DSC00008-15.jpg

Here's the back. It was difficult to try and hide the weaving of the yarns because sometimes there wasn't enough of that color close by to match the loose end woven into it. But I did my best.

Once the panels were done, I single crocheted around each of them twice.

Then I joined the top panel to the middle and the middle to the bottom by single crocheting ,(front loops only), completely around the whole piece, (front-to-back) until I was back where I started. This leaves a line or seam going horizontally between those panels but I don't mind it. I wanted to make sure the whole thing was put together good and won't ever come undone.

Then, I crocheted around the entire afghan twice. It still wants to curl slightly but I'm hoping with time that will relax.

th_DSC00004-18.jpg

This took about a month to complete. Sorry you haven't heard much from me. When I get involved in a complicated project I kind of disconnect myself with people.

This was a lot of fun to make. I loved picking out the colors for each Marilyn.

Next I think I will work on something a little easier so I don't have to think for a while. (My head is just killing me!) :headache:bang

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am totally speechless... wow that is awesome.... Love the colors and all and yes it looks like from a comic book page... Wow...

I pray your headache goes aways...

Sending hugs your way

Archived