Big Lots Yarn

Real Deal

Hey everyone I just wanted to update that I went to Big Lots today, the one that is closer to my house although smaller and they had a TON of stuff. A lot of novelty type yarns, a ton of boucle all in this really pretty variegated color (but I didn't get it), a couple skeins of homespun in some ugly colors.

Then I found some Lion Brand Thick and Quick Chenille in this tan color that would go perfect in my living room so I think I'm going to make some sort of throw out of it. I got all they had of it 7 skeins @ $1.50 each so I thought that was a pretty good deal.

Now I'm off to the bigger big lots to see what they have. I could become addicted to this bargain hunting!

Do you think I could make a round ripple or a star blanket out of the thick and quick? If anyone has a good pattern that would work with super bulky yarn pm please because I can't wait to use it!! Either that I'm just going to make the throw that they show on the wrapper. It takes 7 skeins MC and 2 skeins CC so I only need 2 more skeins and a P sized hook and I will be all set.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Our Big Lots have gotten plenty of the LB Thick and quick Chenille in Tan, but not what i'm looking for.

Color Waves, great. I can pair it with a black. But i'll take all i can get of the Paton's Be Mine and Bernat's LuLu i can get for $1 a skein!

I bought 10 skeins of bernat's Lulu at the other big lots. The 2 colors they had were yo yo yellow and this sort of orangey color called peachy keen; so I think I'm going to put them together and make a baby blanket for another one of my regular customers who's having a baby and she doesn't know what she's going to have. She's pretty funky so I think she'll appreciate something a little different. Plus the blanket only takes 6 skeins (3 of each color) so maybe I will be able to make a sweater or something to go with it!

Finally, finally I scored! The box was not even opened yet!:D Last night I found LB Thick and quick Chenille in Tan and a pretty blue Midnight Mohair , 30 skeins for 45 bucks! I cleaned them out! SCORE!!!!!!!!! :clap Now what to make with it:think

I was in Big Lots around 11 this morning, and they've had another yarn delivery! Out of all that yarn, it's hard to believe, but they had nothing I wanted. The bins were all full, plus I found 2 full boxes under a table, so Auntie and I went through all of it. There wasn't anything that appealed to either one of us.

Before we left, I did finally find 1 skein of Bernat LuLu and 1 of Patons Be Mine, so I can use them for my baby work. Also 1 skein of Patons Cha Cha I'll use for doll hair. That was it.

I was at Big Lots yesterday and found some yarn, I was lucky enough to find Patons Lacette in Beautiful Blue for only $1. a skein, there was only 7 left so I purchased them all. Then I went to Joann's and saw it there for $6,49 a skein. I had my daughter with me and she could not beleive the difference in price. she actually said, Good Job Mom!!!!

I also found the Paton's Lacette in the pale blue--what a pretty color. I managed to snag 8 skeins and hope to turn it into a nice lacy prayer shawls.

Also bought 4 skeins of ChaCha in peach and 4 skeins in a pastel multicolor. Planning to use them to edge a baby blanket.

Rose in Altoona Pa

I was at Big Lots yesterday and found some yarn, I was lucky enough to find Patons Lacette in Beautiful Blue for only $1. a skein, there was only 7 left so I purchased them all. Then I went to Joann's and saw it there for $6,49 a skein. I had my daughter with me and she could not beleive the difference in price. she actually said, Good Job Mom!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

I dropped in to Big Lots yesterday, and they have eliminated ALL their yarn... no more sale bins, nothing. I was VERY disappointed and just left the store after buying nothing. Two weeks ago, they had quite a lot of sale yarn... all very cheap. Now... it's gone.

I finally did locate a LYS, spent an hour looking around.. it is actually a needlework store, there are other needlework items and thread there, too. But a very good selection of yarns, in brands you don't see anywhere like Michael's or Hobby Lobby. Sadly, most of it was too expensive, but I did buy a nice crochet hook made in Germany, with a soft handle, for $7... trying to get used to using it. But it doesn't make my hands sore... so it is worth the money.

But... I am disappointed that Big Lots did away with their yarn altogether. Our Dollar stores don't carry it, either. Our choices are so few around here.

Cherokee2 ~ Unless someone who works there said they have eliminated yarn, they are just out of stock for now. They don't have yarn deliveries every week and sometimes go a long time until all the yarn is sold or nearly all sold before more comes in. Keep checking back there.

• 3 weeks later...

On April 18th I decided to call the Big Lots in Lake Worth, a city south of W. Palm Beach and not too far from me, and a nice lady told me they indeed had yarn. I rarely drive more than 5-6 miles to do my shopping but I was on a mission: stash-building!!! So with anticipation I drove the 10 mi. or so there and even got lost when I was really near because it's behind a big CVS pharmacy - but I stopped somewhere and asked and finally made it there.

I thought I could find the yarn on my own and went through the whole store and nothing, but since I trusted the lady on the phone I sought out a clerk and she pointed me to it; it was in a little corner that I'd passed by but wouldn't have thought to look in (so it's important to ask!). Like almost everyone has said, what they had was mostly the "fun/fancy" yarns, some even very small, fuzzy and in loud colors (like neon orange). My best find was the only 3 skeins of Paton's Lacette in "Hint of Rose" and 3 in "Cream Caress", perfect for lace shawls I saw online so I snatched them right away. Also 1 Paton's Glittallic in "Blue Flash (that I think I regret getting), 3 LB Suede in "Seacrest Print", 2 "Universal" Reef #17- blue/black multi, 2 Universal Tracks (ribbon-like) #10-cream and 1 #9-beige (but really a lt. peach) and now I sort of wish hadn't gotten those either because I crocheted a small sample and have no idea what I could use them for. BUT it was such a HIGH to rifle through it, feel the yarn and know the highest price was $1.50. I was on :c9 because I really can't afford to spend much on yarn at all, so that was really "splurging"; after I got home I couldn't wait to open the bag and look at my 12 skeins again, aaah!:dance

I've started one shawl and love the feel of the yarn in my fingers but what drove nuts is that I made a significant mistake on the 3rd row that changed the shape of the shawl and trying to unravel Lacette is murder. I thought I could live with the altered shape but after like 10 more rows I finally decided I was not going to like it that way so I began to "frog" it and the thing tangles so awfully I nearly gave up ,but my persistent streak won and with the help of a widget (to sever the clinging fibers) I was able to unravel down to the mistake without really harming the yarn.

Before I went to BL I also went to a dollar store that had some yarn that was mostly boucle in bright neon-like solids or variegated colors I'd never use so I didn't get any; still it was good to think that maybe some other time I'll have better luck as last year I got several skeins of LB Incredible I love at a Dollar Tree.

• 3 weeks later...

It's been a while since I've found anything I've wanted at Big Lots ~ but I hit the jackpot last night (Friday night). I found A LOT all at $1 a skein.

I found a dozen skeins of Patons Be Mine in a pretty light blue. I gave them to a young woman I know who doesn't have much money ~ and she was worrying about what she would give her sister who just gave birth to a baby boy. Now she's going to make a baby blanket. My sister gave her a couple hooks that are big enough to use with the yarn.

Then I found 15 skeins of Patons Brilliant in Blue Shimmer. Oh is this pretty. I'll make myself a dressy top with this. And probably a dress purse too.

I'm not done! Then I got Patons Bohemian in Copper Chaos. I bought all they had. I gave 8 skeins to the above mentioned woman and kept 13 skeins to make something for my sister because she loves these colors. And I think that some of the suede I bought recently might go with it perfectly. I'll check that out.

I'm thrilled to have found so much!!!

I went on my Big Lots run last night.....after searching and finding nothing, I spotted new yarn on an end cap......I got Patons Bohemian and Brilliant in a beautiful burgundy color, came home with another 40 skeins to add to my stash, I am such a Yarnaholic, lol.

I cleaned out my Big Lots of their Patons Bohemian. Came home with 30 skeins for $1.00 each. My husband is already planning what he wants me to make him with it.

Didn't that feel great? And better yet that your husband wants his part of the "bounty", lol! :D

I should NOT be buying any more yarn since I'm going on a long trip and will have to leave most of it behind but yesterday I went to a dollar store which had a bin of Bernat's Matrix (apparently discontinued) and I just couldn't resist. It's a ribbon-like yarn, not continuous, very much like the Universal brand I got at Big Lots last month only narrower and variegated. The Universal sort of disappointed me because my thought was to use it as a trim but it looked a little too wide in the sample I crocheted but this one being narrower might be better as an edging or either by itself or with thread for a light envening shawl. I guess when I see stuff like that I just get excited about the possibilities...

A few days ago my Big Lots finally restocked the yarn after nothing for a couple months.

I bought 8 Paton's Brilliant in a pretty blue for a top, and 2 of Paton's Be Mine in light yellow.

Today I used 1/2 of one PBM to make a baby cap and matching booties for a friend's upcoming new arrival. This is the first time I've ever used this yarn and I knew instantly that I will never buy this again LOL. UGH! Thank goodness I only bought 2! But I'm excited about the Brilliant though.

• 1 month later...

this was Sat. 8/26 @ Big Lots

I found Paton's Glitter: black, a bunch of grey, a few bright greens and cobalt blue.

Also, some crochet thread in a dark green and a dark red. At the moment, I can't recall the brand of thread, but it said "classic crochet thread". They would be great for a Christmas project.

These were $1.50 each...seems I remember it being $1/each the last time I purchased from Big Lots. I dunno...been awhile.

They had some other stuff that has been there awhile, but this was the only new yarn that I noticed.

Sorry....correcting my post for the 3rd time! That is Caron's Glimmer.....there, I think I got it right this time. Oy!

• 2 months later...

I've never heard of it either, but as I drive by a Big Lots on my way home (OK, a different route home - same destination, right?) I think I'll check it out. Maybe they'll have it down here, too.

I got a couple of skeins of suede in Cape May NJ a few weeks ago at BL. Then on our way home we stopped at Christmas Tree shop in Albany NY and they had suede on sale fo 1.50. I only got 6 skeins, 2 blue, 2 hot pink and 2 tan. They had probably 100 skeins. I wish I had bought more tan but didn't. I haven't used any yet so I hope I like working with it.

Archived