Big Lots Yarn

Real Deal

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Really? I tried to make a hat and it was a PITA to work with. The fleece bits covered up things, and I couldn't see where to increase. I've decided to try to make a blanket for Project Linus instead. Hopefully that will be easier to crochet.

Really? I tried to make a hat and it was a PITA to work with. The fleece bits covered up things' date=' and I couldn't see where to increase. I've decided to try to make a blanket for Project Linus instead. Hopefully that will be easier to crochet.[/quote']

I do better with the Be Mine if i knit with it.

After reading your post I looked up the ad for my area and yarn for $1 is featured as well, I already got yarn last week at a Dollar Tree and I'm broke but I'm SO tempted to go anyway :devil . Does anyone know if Yarnaholics Anonimous already exists? I think I need to join...:bang

lol, so i ended up going but i didn't get anything. they had this verigated yarn in pink and purple that was similar to patons "be mine." i was tempted to get some, but i don't know what to make with that color combo.

all the rest of the yarn was this fun fur that felt like tinsel, which i didn't like.

I too couldn't resist going to the Big Lots in my area, even though the round trip is about 22 mi. , but to justify myself I combined it with a visit to a Latin grocery store on the way back which I don't get to go to very often.

I was disappointed to see that they still had some ugly old stuff since the last time I was there in April (when I found a lot of nice yarn), a lot of rug yarn (who uses that anymore?) and not enough of what little nice was there. The only thing they seemed to have a lot of was LB Chenille in "Dusty Blue" and I bought 4 skeins to make my daughter a laptop cover. However, I had to frog twice (and very carefully) and it began coming apart, don't think the cover will last long once I get it done, read somewhere that someone made a beautiful throw and it started getting wholes in it very soon. This yarn's velvety appearance is very appealing but I don't think I'll ever buy it again, I would've expected it to be discontinued already because I can't imagine anyone wanting to pay full price for it, not even worth the $1.50 I paid IMHO! Ah, and they also had several rolls of #10 thread in "Hunter Green" which I almost bypassed until I figured that together with the white and red I already have will make nice Christmas decorations or doilies so I bought one too.

One mistake of mine was buying a skein of Patons Bohemian "Poetic Pinks", I was going to use it as the contrast for the laptop cover but the pattern calls for 3 and I didn't know and no way I'm going back there for more!

Well, not all of it. For instance, LB Chenille Thick & Quick is still being sold at their website for the hefty amount of $8.49 ea. :eek, personally I hardly think it's even worth the $1.50 I paid at Big Lots... Another example is Patons Bohemian which is still featured on their website.

Well, not all of it. For instance, LB Chenille Thick & Quick is still being sold at their website for the hefty amount of $8.49 ea. :eek, personally I hardly think it's even worth the $1.50 I paid at Big Lots... Another example is Patons Bohemian which is still featured on their website.

Not to mention the mohair. Maybe i'm being cheap, but almost $9 for the amount you get is crazy.

I wnr to BigLots this past weekend on long Island. The selection was very disappointing for the long trip I made. They did have some lion brand suede but a orange color. The rest was all fun fur. All I purchased was 3 skeins of a watercolor yarn. It is a wool blend. Should be good for a scarf.

I find better selections at the Dollar Tree.

• 1 month later...

DH and I went to Big Lots last week when I ran out of shampoo. I checked the yarn section and as usual it was nearly empty. They had 4 skeins of Lion Boucle (two skeins of two colors) and an 4 skeins of some off-brand in pale pink but all 4 were completely unraveled and lying in a heap.

I have so many projects still to make so I don't understand why I feel "yarn hunger" again... This past week I went hunting for yarn at a couple of thrift stores and all I saw was several skeins of an unappetizing shade of green acrylic and, yep, the dregs of fun fur at a Dollar Tree. I also was at Wal-mart and left with no new yarn and none of the sales at any LYS appealed to me so I got :no. Never mind that I have no idea where I'd put more :yarn, I still feel "bombed", please tell me I'm not the only one like this...:2spin

I have so many projects still to make so I don't understand why I feel "yarn hunger" again... This past week I went hunting for yarn at a couple of thrift stores and all I saw was several skeins of an unappetizing shade of green acrylic and, yep, the dregs of fun fur at a Dollar Tree. I also was at Wal-mart and left with no new yarn and none of the sales at any LYS appealed to me so I got :no. Never mind that I have no idea where I'd put more :yarn, I still feel "bombed", please tell me I'm not the only one like this...:2spin

You are not alone! I think it may be a real sign of yarn addiction. I have not had much luck lately at my local Big Lots or Dollar Tree either, but I did get a yarn fix at Jo-Ann (a dozen skeins of Canditi yarn for $1 each)

Hi, my name is Yarnluver and I'm a yarnaholic! :P Yes, I've been aware of my addiction for a good while now, at first I thought it was "just me" but when I found C'ville I began feeling better. I do exercise some restraint and so far I've committed few yarn mistakes (buying some on impulse that I regret later...) and it's always been inexpensive stuff.

Guess what was the first thing I did today... I checked the new flier at Michael's (and I'm about to check Joann's) to see if there's something I couldn't resist!

Archived