Big Lots Yarn

Real Deal

We've had enough interest in purchasing yarn at Big Lots, that I thought a continuing thread would be a good idea. I find posts in various places on Crochetville, so somewhere to consolidate our posts would be nice. The thread for Dollar Stores and Big Lots could be checked at the same time in this section.

If you know about a sale or new shipment, please let everyone know.

If you've found a nice selection, come tell us.

Are you having fun? :hook

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK, I'll start.

I went to Big Lots on Sunday morning. I just had that feel ~ you know the feel ~ that I should stop in at Big Lots. I walked over to the normal yarn section and there was no yarn. Clothes, towels, wraps, no yarn. How peculiar.

There had to be something I was going to want because I had that feel.

I walked down a couple aisles toward the wall where I found yarn left from a sale in the past, and voila! Bins of yarn! Most of it I would never use, but I did find ...

5 skeins of Lion Suede in fuchsia (it's really a wine color, and gorgeous) for $1.50, and

1 skein of Patons Bohemian in Indigo Indulgence ~ my first one ~ for $1.

The suede is absolutely luscious. The Bohemian I've never tried before, so now I get to try it out and not spend a fortune for it.

I'm very happy with this purchase.

Our Big Lots has a new shipment of yarn! Most of it is Moonlight Mohair, Lacette, Fun Fur and Boucle'. I didn't want any of those, but I did find one type I bought.

I found 5 skeins of Bohemian in Abstract Amber. I took one look at these and thought "Make legwarmers that look like catterpillars!"

My kick has been to be on the lookout for the Patons Be Mine and Bernat LuLu yarns, since i'm doing baby blankets for charity. I do my weekly trips to 3 Big Lots now, and maybe a 4th one occaisionally. I get all of the LuLu and Be Mine i can get since you never know when the bargain will stop. I've see lots of Suedes, and while the colors are pretty, i'm going more for wash and wear warmth for the hats and scarves that i'll start doing.

I went to Big Lots for the first time today with the hope of finding yarn. All they had though were two skeins of Lion's Landscapes in Deep Sea. There were two decent-sized shelves though that were basically empty, so I'm guessing I just had bad timing.

I wasn't so sure about the color scheme of Deep Sea but I bought them anyway for 1.50 each. I may use one for a pair of socks and the other for some felting experiments.

Monique ~ Yes, they do have yarn! The Big Lots closest to me mostly has novelty yarns, but just in the last couple of weeks I picked up 5 skeins of LB suede @ $1.50 and 6 skeins of Patons Bohemian @ $1. You can't beat that.

I inqured about deliveries and here's what I was told:

They have deliveries for the entire store every Thursday late. Do not come in and try to buy yarn then because they stock after the store is closed.

They do not get yarn in every shipment, and they don't know (unless it's an advertised special) what deliveries will have yarn.

Just keep checking back with them on a regular basis.

As I have said in the past I am so jealous of you all with the Big Lots -

I want one! Waaaaaahhhhh:rant:thair - Ok - breathe! LOLOL

But seriously though - I have a whole new appreciation for "bargain" yarn and the availability in general as I just returned from a trip overseas - and met a fellow 'Viller which I posted w/ pics in the Accessories show and tell section - Anyways - their yarn stores had only the small balls and skeins -nothing over 3 oz and usually all wool - no synthetic fibers at all anywhere and no fun fur that I could see either.

The yarn was pricey but I did pick up 4 skeins to make mittens with next winter. I did tell Susanne that even though we have large skeins of synthetic I am sure we produce a lot of pollution in it's process of manufacture compared with their pure woolen products - so the environmental trade off for our availability here is probably substantial.

But since that is mostly out of our control :sighI must say I DO love our bargain bins here in the states and that I don't have to dry clean or hand wash every thing I knit and crochet - that began to offer all big sizes of knitting needles and whole sets of metal crochet hooks for $1.99 and $2.99 - which is great!:cheer

:cheer

Shuttlebuggy ~ Wow, no synthetics! I'm glad I'm here then because I'm allergic to wool! Synthetics do have a place, and you can't beat using acrylic for afghans and blankets, so you can wash them.

With places like Big Lots and $ stores, it's possible to have a stash. I mean a substantial stash ~ and I love it. I've never been able to do this in the past. Today when I was at my Auntie's next door, we were doing our crochet together for a little while, and she showed me a new afghan she had started. I also noticed the colors she didn't have, so I just said "I'll be back in a minute. I think I've got a purple that will match with that variegated." Ha, ha, ha! I knew I had a purple, turquoise and blue that would be perfect, so I brought them all back with me. It felt so good to be able to provide her with the colors she needed.

:yay We went to our Big Lots yesterday (Friday) afternoon. This was a first. And there was yarn! Lots of it! 4 bins were filled to the top and 2 boxes (also filled to the top) were on the floor. Eeeeeeeeeeee!

My sister and I started going through it, because of course, it was all mixed up together. Oh why don't I remember to take an allergy pill before I do this?

There was lots of feathers, fun fur, and midnight mohair. Some lacette. Some boucle, but not the really pretty ones. A couple skeins of Lulu and another type I can't remember the name, but for babies.

I picked out the suede and chenille.

This time I was able to get 15 LB Suede in the Fuchsia, which is really a wine color.

Also 15 LB Thick & Quick in Khaki, which is really dark gold.

I am soooooooo happy! :c9

I don't know what is going on with the naming of the colors. This is not brown, beige or tan "khaki" ~ it's gold. Ever see real fuchsia flowers? This is not fuchsia. Maybe the company thinks these names have more appeal. I don't know.

What fun Real Deal!! My first Big Lots trip was this week as well but I didn't have nearly the finds you did! That is awesome! My store only had 2 skeins of LB Landscapes--though I was happy to get those LOL.

Yes, it seems Friday and Saturday is best. Just when I hate to go out in crowds of people, but this was the first time I saw a large amount of yarn I really liked at Big Lots.

The suede is so ... so ... gorgeous. And now I've got enough to make a coat, jacket, tunic, or something along those lines. And a matching tote or purse.

Craw ~ You know what? Go ask them at the desk if they carry yarn.

When I first found yarn at Big Lots, it was on a table in the middle of the store, and very obvious. And in a big crate type bin ~ the kind they fill up with pillows and such ~ so you couldn't miss it.

It's been moved to an end aisle facing the wall at the end of the stationery goods. If I didn't know it was there, I might not find it. It's got nothing to do with the items it's near, so it doesn't make sense to look there unless you know to do so.

I went back yesterday (I can't believe I went twice in one week LOL, I'm getting hooked) and the yarn area was FULL! Just Wednesday it basically only had the 2 skeins I bought. It was mostly bright orange though yesterday. They had a bit of Cosmos brand yarn in blues and some in purples. I picked up 2 skeins of the blues. I don't know the brand but it sure is a pretty color and super soft.

Wednesday had been my first trip there and I went through the whole store not finding the yarn. I finally asked for help and was shown there. Since they just had the 2 skeins that day it's no wonder I didn't find it on my own. They have a couple shelves of yarn in the scrapbooking aisle.

I checked Big Lots last week, and while ours had a lot of yarn, ( big cardboard boxes full sitting on the floor by the scrapbooking stuff), there wasn't a lot of nice stuff. I bought 4 skeins of Lion suede (all they had), in a variegated gray to make a purse, and they had some nice soft baby yarn, (off brand) but it was odd colors. I'm going to check again at the end of this week.

It's been moved to an end aisle facing the wall at the end of the stationery goods. If I didn't know it was there, I might not find it. It's got nothing to do with the items it's near, so it doesn't make sense to look there unless you know to do so.

Yeah but the good thing about that is that there's usually plenty because no one else knows it's there.:devil

Socksgirl ~ Absolutely check your 2 Big Lots and keep checking back with them. Here's why. Just the suede I bought this last time cost me $22.50 plus tax. That same amount of suede at a craft / yarn shop like Joann's or Michael's or Hobby Lobby would be just under $90 at the normal price. I'm not kidding. That's why we haunt places like Big Lots and the $ Stores.

You find junk, junk, junk, nothing, nothing, then bam, there's some really nice stuff.

I live on the WRONG coast..lol..I found some yarn at Big Lots 1 time..I keep checking but nothing..Maybe if I move to the East coast I'll find some..It ALL sounds WONDERFUL..I bought some of that pink suede I was thinking of making some roses with it maybe..But I can't find the fuzzy yarn in white..I HOPE we get a craft store here...

Archived