Scrap yarn is driving me crazy!

Today I took a fancy look at my room and realized I have too many bits of scrap yarn that I don't know what to do with them. I hate to break open a skein of yarn knowing that there will be some left over. And I have this annoying habit of using everything I have, every single inch of yarn I'm telling you :yes

So now I have a mini bin of yarn that's filled with scrap. So please help me! :help That's how I feel right now, being buried in scrap yarn :eek If you have any suggestions on how to finish my scrap, I would be very thankful. Most of them are worsted and bulky weight yarn.

:ty for reading and double thanks for giving me suggestion.

You could make a bunch of granny squares and connect them together to make an afghan. Or one time I saw an afghan that was a bunch of hexagons put together. Those would be easy to make, and it made a really nice blanket.

I am the same way and have the same problem. I have been making the Circles of hope with mine. Its a great way to thin it out and it is a worthy cause. They are also great for finger puppets for the kiddies.

I always make the left over yarn into grannys....just use up what you have and add the next color to it...I make mine about 5/6 rounds and join them together, makes a very pretty/mixed colored lapghan which I donate to charity..

let's see, theres the circle of hopes that angelfire collects (someone else posted a link so I wont repeat that part), theres snuggles for the spca, there 2 or 3 strand ugly blankets (is a thread about them on here also), could do an afghan where each row is a different color, the granny squares, a scarf (i've seen patterns where it's rows of flowers) so that each flower is a different color, could make small gift bags for holidays. theres a few small snowflakes that use ww yarn rather than thread, etc

I'm sure crochetpatterncentral would have some more ideas also. :)

Sandy

just checked out Annies free pattern of the day (march 10th) and its a way to use up scraps.....a "patchwork garden" afghan..... do the centers diff colors....and depend on how large some scraps are, use them for the part behind flowers or the plain alt squares. :)

Sandy

Thanks ladies for all the advice. I would probably make the daisy chain blanket because I like the "join as you go" idea. Once I made a blanket out of squares that had hundreds of ends to weave in. So anything that avoids weaving in loose ends is perfect!

Do you have any other ideas beside blanket?

Just pick up a scrap and start a round ripple ghan. Keep adding, don't pay attention to what color and keep going. Stop when it is big enough for you.

You could do a scarf with different colors that rotate...i had a really cool scarf that was very colorful and could go with everything!! You could choose however many colors you want and then just tie of at the end of every row and have a cool stripe pattern....I like to use scrap yarns for charity types of things a lot of the time, like if somebody on here needs squares or anything. I'm trying to get going on doing local charity work too....you could do lapghans for a nursing home, or hats for preemies, make items of all kinds for women/children who have been abused. Lots of good uses for your yarn scraps!

Make a Wonder Ball. Tie all your scraps (don't worry about colors) together to make a big ball. You can use this to make an Ugli-ghan (or scarf). When crocheting with a Wonder Ball, work over the loose ends so you don't have to weave later. If you want a Hairy-ghan, leave the ends out, but make sure they are all on one side of the afghan. I hope this helps. Good luck.

Ellie 13

this is a pretty scarf that uses the ends for fringe http://crochet.about.com/library/weekly/n050407.htm The way the stitches combine to blend the colors is unusual and pretty, i think.

I bookmarked the pattern after it was on a thread here, posted by Darski originally I think.

With mine, I make grocery store bags. I try to stick with only one variegated mixed in with whatever else I am using, but I go with one til it's gone, then move on to the next. I don't want to keep collecting plastic grocery bags (they take 500 years to break down in a landfill), and I'm not into seeing trees cut down just so I can grocery shop. I have found this is an excellent way to use up the extras I always have.

Blessed Be.

2295891998_63281690a3.jpg?v=0

Another idea is to save it for "stress squares" these are squares you do when you're stressed and need to relax. Some people put them in a box and save them for when someone needs charity squares. This way you could do whatever squares you want, in whatever color and yarn. Then put them in a box. If you have enough you could even put them together and make an afghan to give away.

Another idea is to save it for "stress squares" these are squares you do when you're stressed and need to relax. Some people put them in a box and save them for when someone needs charity squares. This way you could do whatever squares you want, in whatever color and yarn. Then put them in a box. If you have enough you could even put them together and make an afghan to give away.

That's a great idea! When stressed, my tension goes all "wonky" anyways...crochet until it is a size you like and then stop.

Funny! I was just thinking the same thing about scraps when I saw this pattern yesterday that gave me an idea. I bought drk brown RH yarn. Using two strands and size P hook im making a beautiful afghan. One strand is brown the other is my scrap color. Chain 100 and just double crochet to the end and switch to another scrap color but continue with the brown. Each row has been a different color ......I dont know what it is but the afghan is beautiful!!!! I will try to send a picture when Im finished.

Just start crocheting a giant granny square afghan and quit when it's a good size. Then donate to a charity. Twofold: you'll have helped someone stay warm and your stash will be reduced.

I am using my scraps with my spool knitter. Then, I am using a Q hook to dc a thick, comfy mat for my chis to sit on. They have several "spots" in the house they like to go so I am making them mats for each. This project takes a lot of yarn and it is coming along beautifully. I enjoy doing this when I feel in the mood for some "brainless" activity.

Archived