Substitution for Crocheter's Bag

Just the other day I was wondering through Wal-Mart thinking about how badly I wanted some sort of a tote to carry around my...well, everything crochet. So, I walked over to the purses and backpacks to look. Blah! Everything was either too small, not my style, or there just wasn't enough pockets. That's when I started thinking...where on earth could I get something that I like. DIAPER BAG!!! They have tons of pockets, room, and you can get really cool looking ones online, but...I want it now. So I walk back into the baby stuff and found on that's exactly what I wanted. It's striped with green, pink, red and black. Plus, it's got enough room to hold everything. Some other pros: it comes with a roll out changing mat that--if you want it to match your bag--can have pockets sewn onto it to create a needle/hook/scissors/everything holder. I thought it was neat. Here's a really cool site to check out. Some are expensive, but there's some cool cheap ones out there too--you just gotta look. Mine at Wal-Mart was only $15.97.

www.diaperbags.com

www.diaperbagboutique.com

Daiper bags can work. And that one sounds nice!

I have zipper bags (weekenders, etc) that I keep my supply of yarn in.

I made my 8 pocket tote for holding WIPs in. Well started it. I have all pieces made just need to put it together. One day...

But I do use my Waves of Color tote I made to carry some crochet (and other things) to work. It's the perfect size for a skien fo yarn. Actually I could get 2 and squeeze in 3 RH SS WW yarn in there.

Debbi

Eight-pocket Tote CAL

Shade of Waves.......CAL

I have a couple Lands End totes and they are perfect! I have a medium for small/ medium projects ($19.50) and a large for large projects ($22.00). They come in several colors.

They have pockets on the inside! On one side is a big pocket, perfect for a book or magazine; On the opposite side there 3 small pockets, I have scissors in one, hooks in another, and usually a small tape measure in the last one. Oh!, and there's a small pocket on the outside too! I keep business cards it that pocket. ;)

They are very heavy duty and the way that they are made, they ALWAYS stand up!!! You can also get them with a zipper across the top for a couple extra dollars. AND, you can get them embroidered for an extra fee too.

I really can't say enough about the totes! I love them in every way and they have been a real investment that I will never regret!

Thanks for giving me a great idea for my son's diaper bag. I bought us a great Land's End bag when he was born, but I hardly ever used it. It will make a wonderful crochet bag. This bag is styled after the old doctor's bags that open into a big rectangle so you can see everything. Plus it's lined in light blue to make seeing things even easier. There are tons of pockets. Land's End products hold up so well, too. THANKS!

I second the diaper bag notion. I had a Lands' End diaper bag I used for my DD (who is now 11)....it was in perfect condition. When we went to Salt Lake City last year I used it as my carry-on, to take my crocheting along. Lots of pockets, zippered sections, etc, to put all the little stuff in, and it held lots of yarn!

Great idea! I saw one diaper bag that had the bottle carrier thing (separate from the bag itself) that would be great for holding hooks. All of my canvas totes are getting worn out so this is perfect.

I've been using a diaper bag that I got at a thrift store two years ago

its aqua and white and says Tampa Childbirth Center

it has three pockets outside and two on the inside,I can get 3 skeins of yarn in it,

I've considered using a diaper bag, but at the moment, my fighter pilot's helmet bag is working fine! Doesn't have as many pockets, but it holds a lot and stands up well.

Check out thrift stores and yard sales. I have a couple totes and a couple backpacks I use. They were only a dollar or 2 at thrift stores.

That's a good idea. I didn't think about that and I like to go to find books or crochet magazines from thrift stores. I was looking at bags for purse handles (someone here suggested that, if they have a ring or clip you can cut them off and use them on a crochet purse). So now I have another reason to browse the bag/purse section.

Debbi

I just came from Babies R Us at lunch time. I had to shop for a shower gift. I had received a 15% coupon in the mail plus all their diaper bags are 20% off right now! They really had some awesome ones that would work beautiful! I actually had an Eddie Bauer one in my hand that I MADE myself put back...don't REALLY need it (but I sure do want it)!

i had this mentioned to me before. I have two or three of my son's (now 4) diaperbags around here still. (Don't ask how we got so many.) I haven't used them yet as I also have way to many bags. My dh things i have a thing for bags. hehe But now that I think of it I just saw one while out shopping that was really cute....hmmmmm

What a great idea!!!! I use a tote I got at Michaels for 20 bucks. It works great until afgans get too big! Right now I'm just using a big canvas bag, no pockets or anything, to take my afghan places, and just stick the hook and scissors in my purse.

Hi! That's a neat idea! I use our diaper bag so much though, that we'll probably need a new one by the time the second baby comes along. But... Last summer, I found these really big bags at Wal-Mart for $5 each. I think they were called beach bags, but they were not holey. They had an outside pocket, and one inside pocket, and big straps. Just a basic bag. They had great stripey colors too. I picked up 2, to give one away, but kept both lol.

Victoria

Oh! One other suggestion, is to look during "Back to school" time, for a messenger bag. I got one at a thrift store, but it has "pencil" pockets in the front that are PERFECT for crochet hooks. I don't know if someone else might have suggested that too, but I LOVE mine. It's not quiet big enough, but for a small project, it really is just fine.

Victoria

Archived