Lets talk RR's...anyne wanna share idea's??

Okay, I have AggieMay's, Colleen's, RR pattern, L-O-V-E it, and am working on one myself. Of course as you all say they ARE addicting!!

So here are some of the things I am wondering for my next one...lol

How BIG do you make it?

What is your favorite yarn to use?

How in the world do you figure out the color combos, I am VERY chalenged...lol..and how many rounds do you know to go before you change colors???

I am doing the RR for a five year old, with 2 Pounds of Love, one white, one pink, using an H hook, and am going to finish up when I am done with the pounds. I am changing color every three rounds, or as a "pattern" is done. It is simple, pink and white....

So do give ALL your secrets away here please :hook Pretty please :crocheting

Okay, I have AggieMay's, Colleen's, RR pattern, L-O-V-E it, and am working on one myself. Of course as you all say they ARE addicting!!

So here are some of the things I am wondering for my next one...lol

How BIG do you make it?

What is your favorite yarn to use?

How in the world do you figure out the color combos, I am VERY chalenged...lol..and how many rounds do you know to go before you change colors???

I am doing the RR for a five year old, with 2 Pounds of Love, one white, one pink, using an H hook, and am going to finish up when I am done with the pounds. I am changing color every three rounds, or as a "pattern" is done. It is simple, pink and white....

So do give ALL your secrets away here please :hook Pretty please :crocheting

For my adult sized RRs, I usually make about 40 to 45 rounds. For my baby sized, about 30 to 33 rows.

About 80% of the time I use Red Heart Super Saver. I've also used Caron's Perfect Match yarn which is very soft. Some people here love the Caron Simply Soft and that yarn has lots of color choices.

I use an H hook.

As for the color combinations, I like to use an ombre/variegated with a matching solid. Normally I would do six rows of the solid with three rows of the variegated. But that's just me. For starting out, I use the solid color for the first six rows, then begin the ombre/variegated for three rows, six solid, three ombre/variegated, etc. But again, that's just me. I'm a control freak and that works for me and creates a nice balance of color.

Lets see here... I've done two. One was Caron SS in white and Bernat Baby coordinates in the pink/purple colorway. I don't remember the row count for the colors, but it came out to about 32"? I still have a little of the pink/purple left, and I think I used almost 2 of the white. It was a Project Linus blankie, so I don't have it any more to check.

I made another one for my cousin's son who was born in September. This time I used Dark Horse acrylic (don't remember the yarn name, just the brand) in bright rainbow colors. I went from red to purple and then back again. I didn't do the same number of rows of each color, trying to make them look a little more "balanced". I think I did 6 for the 1st red, orange and yellow, 5 for the blue and green, 6 or 7 of purple and then 5 all the way back to red. I could be wrong, and again, I gave it away so I can't check.

the first one turned out better. I used a G with both of them, but the 1st one was much flatter, when you folded the other in half, you could tell it would cup. Maybe I didn't do the increases right or something, but I'm not sure. It was very neat at any rate.

I like the ones with a solid and a verigated. I like the ones all in one color. I like them in various other color combinations. What is nice sometimes is when there is a wide strip of a color and a narrow "line" of a contrasting color of only 1 or 2 rows...

I'm not sure there's a way to mess these up too badly... although I'm not too fond of the ones that the number of rows of color changes drastically. It worked for the rainbow because it looked even and I wasn't doing wide and narrow and the difference wasn't huge. :shrug Just my $0.02 worth :P

Just a quick question, what's an RR?

Round Ripple. There's a CAL for it with some beautiful FO's.

My first was Caron SS in light pink, light green and Lion (I think) in a baby fuzzy variegated. I did 6 pink, 5 green and 1 v. I wanted the v. on the shell round. Now I'm getting ready to start one as a wedding present, I was going to do a Double Wedding Ring and got tired of the inserts. I bought Caron pounds in light green (minty color), forest green and cream. I'm thinking with this one I'll do 3 rows cream and 6 each of the greens.

I've made several. I've used Caron SS in brites three times (per requests after the first one), six rounds per color. I used two strands for one of those since the recipient wanted to use it on the floor for the baby. I've used TLC Amore for a little girl who liked pink and white. That one was five rows of pink and three of white for the pattern. My daughter-in-law is working on a white, ice blue and soft brown one right now. It's her very first crochet project and I think she's doing five white, one brown, five blue, one brown, etc. I think that's right. I can't remember the others I've done at the moment, but it's one of my favorite patterns!

I have made several also, really should take pictures, but I always get them given away before I think of it... Anyway, I usually do a verg and matching solid...I did one that I did every other row, it looked two sided, very nice, then I just finished one that I did one row verg, one row solid, then two rows verg, two rows solid, then three/three, four/four, get the picture?? Finished with the oppisite I started the center with.... It came out very neat, looked kind of 3D... So it is up to you, just use what you have and experiment....I don't think you can make a RR that looks bad!!!

How large do you make the round ripples? great post on how big to make them. I read that when I was starting my first.

I don't know about color combinations either. On both (one finished, one WIP) I did 2 rounds of each color then changed. One I did black and white, one 3 colors. So not too hard.

The baby one I did, I did about 39", since that's what was suggested in the above link. The adult size, double strand one, I'm just going until I run out of yarn and it seems big enough. That was another suggestion in the link.

I hope there are more ideas here, I would love to hear them.

Debbi

oh boy is this a loaded question. but i think the short answer is there is no wrong way.

i have done several myself. some all solids - some solids and verigated. i started on where i did the same number of rows for each color and got bored very quickly - notice i said started its still not done. so all my other ones i vary the number of rows per color - some i have done "stained glass like"

the possibilites are endless with this pattern!

have fun with it!

kris

I think I am up to 10 or 11 rrs so far. When thinking about color, yarn, stripe pattern and size depends on a few things. Four were made for babies/children so they are smaller than the adult size. The babies were around 32-36 inches, the one for my niece who is 5 was around 4 feet. Two of the four I used rhss in pastel baby colors, 1 was caron ss in pink and white, and one was bernat softee baby her jeans ombre.

The adult size ghans (6 so far, getting ready to start 2 more) were all made with rh or bernat supervalue yarns. For those the colors were based on colors that I thought suited the people I was making them for. As for the stripe pattern, again I think it depends on the yarn how yarn goes together and the personality of the person the ghan is for. My sister saw the venom version of the spideyghan here and loved it so the ghan I did for her was black with white/silver rh holiday yarn and she loves it.

I am adding a link to my rr (I have several posts here, but most of them are here)http://s127.photobucket.com/albums/p122/mva5493/?action=view&current=b5910497.pbw

The link is a slideshow of some of my rrs, there is a second slideshow as well as the individual pics in the album (Some of the rrs are pictured at different stages of completion)

When I was making mine, I kept checking the size and when it got to be an inch or two taller than me then it was time for the edging. I figured that was good snuggling size.:U

Ya'all made some BEAUTIFUL RR's there!! Now I see, I am liking really liking the varigated idea, I never really use varigated, other than in thread, but I see, pick out a primary color in the varigated and go with it!!!

thank you all for sharing your all so kind!!!

I am off t work a couple rounds on the pink and white one, cause the breathing treatment has me all up and jittery, what else to do, crochet!! :crocheting

I have made some using a double strand of Baby Coordinates Sweet Stripes. They turn out really great. The self striping yarn makes them have a nice swirling effect as you go.

It makes it really neat without switching colors. I have made these for babies and they turn out beautiful.

Just an idea I wanted to share.

Plus, always use a bigger hook than you would normally use to help prevent curling up.

:manyheart

Here's a link to a page with links to round ripple patterns. The most commonly used is the sew on fire and lynnes round ripple patterns and Aggie May's, I hope this helps. http://www.tamemymind.com/blog/2007/03/19/round-afghan-blanket-patterns-crocheted-or-knitted.php

The sew on fire has a mistake in it on round 3, here is a link to chrome kittys correction.

http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=29245

For Aggie May's round ripple pattern just give her a pm.

I've done two--one with only a variegated RHSS, and the other with three recurring stripes of dark sage green, off-white, and buttery yellow. The second one was for my in-laws, and MIL picked out the colors. The first one was for my mom, and I also let her pick out the colors. I've seen some on the CAL thread with great ideas such as Spiderman red/black/blue for kids. There are so many beautiful ones done by the folks here that there really is no wrong way to do one! You could do a stash-buster with no repeated colors if you want. I did a large granny square that way with autumn tones, and it turned out wonderfully. You're sure to find a lot of inspiration on the CAL thread.

Archived