Karen C.

Favorite afghans to crochet  

92 members have voted

1. 1. Favorite afghans to crochet

• Multi colored squares
    • Strips a.k.a mile a minute
    • One piece
    • Join as you go

This is out of curiosity and to see if others feel as I do. I love the look of afghans done in squares and strips, but I have a hard, very hard, time sewing those together and finishing the afghan, not because it's difficult to do, but because I lose interest and hate to weave in a lot of ends. Do you prefer:

1. One piece, one color

2. Granny Squares with multi colors

3. Join as you go

4. Strips a.k.a. mile a minute

This is out of curiosity and to see if others feel as I do. I love the look of afghans done in squares and strips, but I have a hard, very hard, time sewing those together and finishing the afghan, not because it's difficult to do, but because I lose interest and hate to weave in a lot of ends. Do you prefer:

1. One piece, one color

3. Join as you go

I meant to put this in poll form but didn't know what I was doing:)

I went with "one piece", but I don't always necessarily mean one-color. I like ripples or just rows of different colors (though I made one with the colors changing every row - so many ends to weave in! Blech! I'll never make one like that again!). I actually haven't yet made a multi-piece afghan - like you, I'm hesitant about sewing all the pieces together! I think I might try it in a lapghan or baby-ghan size to see if I can do it.

I prefer one piece since they seem to work up in a jiffy. Second, I'd say motifs. I'm not crazy about mile a minute; they look to me like popsicle stick shapes joined together; at least the ones I'd gotten some patterns for (in bulk). Never tried a join as you go...but ya never know ;)

I really loved doing a mile-a-minute afghan, as I was able to take it along to do in public quite easily. However, I haven't seen any patterns recently that are good. Like someone said, I'm not fond of the popsicle stick shapes. I prefer the ones where the strips are rectangular or perhaps have a triangular shape on either end.

granny squares are my favoite i can make alot at one time

I truly admire anyone who can finish an afghan with squares, even if I get the squares done and the ends woven, I probably won't get them sewn together. :)

I voted for one piece (not one color though), but right now I'm doing my first join as you go with motifs. I have to say I'm not lovin the joining. I hope I love it in the end.

I haven't made a lot of afghan yet, but so far my favorite is the round ripple. I am stitching on number 11 right now. Other than the rr, I have done a checkerboard (my avatar) in strips, and one that was a motif style, diamonds sewn into strips and then strips connected together. I love the look of that one, like how easily it was to make a diamond, but didn't like sewing all those diamonds together. It was a great take along project, not to big or bulky. I can't imagine doing one with small squares but am in awe of those here who do that.

I like all but the MAM. I don't seem to be able to get my strips to come out the same lengths. I like all one piece but not necesarrily all one color, and I have made a granny square one for myself. It took me 9 years to complete...but I got it done and I love it!

One piece ghans are my favorite, but NOT one color. I need the color changes with some patterns to keep interested long enough to finish... the one I did for my MIL is a prime example. That pattern was drop dead boring to me after about the 10th row and if I didn't have to pay attention long enough to change colors, I'd never have finished. (The pattern was one you had to pay enough attention to to count right, but not so challenging as to require all your brain power... no crocheting on autopilot or being super challenged here)

My favorite is entrelac, so I'm not really sure where that fits into the poll. :lol

But if I had to pick one, I'd say a one piece blanket, with color changes, as opposed to sewing together strips or squares.

1. One piece, one color

3. Join as you go

totally agree with you...I lose interest if I have to do alot more than just crochet...lol! Love the look of the others and I have done some, but def. prefer one - piece!

I haven't done any afghans that require joining yet, mostly because I hate to sew and am afraid I would never finish it. I had a bag I made that sat in pieces in my sewing box for a year because I kept putting of sewing on the ribbon and the handles. Eventually I made myself sew on the handles but the ribbon ended up in my daughter's hair! I like afghans that change color, it helps me see progress being made. My attention span these days seems to be the same as the average preschooler!

I like a variety of afghan patterns so I picked one piece (like a ripple or v stitches or shells, or ones that have a definite pattern line by line). I also like giant four square granny afghans, never tried the mile a minute (yet) and have a book on join as you go but haven't done that either.

I don't mind doing it in one color, depending on the pattern and also the colors involved.

LI Roe

I'm a one piece person myself. I have been known to make granny square afghans, but I've also been known to turn the air blue while putting them together.

I prefer one piece but not one color. I do have a lot of squares done for different afghans but never put them together because I hate weaving in all the ends also. Mile a minute is not too bad, I've done several of those.

• 4 months later...

Archived