Donation returned...now what?

Tia

I made a lapghan and a few hats and booties and sent it to a shelter in DC, which I found on the Lion Brand website in their charity section. It was returned and now I don't know where I can send these items.

I've looked all through these charity threads and my things don't seem to qualify for any of them. Does anyone have a suggestion?

Thanks.

Oh no ! they returened your items ....thats not very nice :angry alot of places would LOVE to have your donations :yes

if they are baby items im sure there is a hospital or somewhere that would take them and love them too :heart

Most hospitals take baby items to give to the newborns. I'm sure they can hand out the blankets to any of their other patients or as others suggested a nursing home or homeless shelter would love them.

Well I just wanted to say that i my self went today to the hospital where i see my new doctor and well went to front desk and i asked is there any one in charge of donations for baby booties and hats for new borns and they directed me to the person immediately.

So if i were you i'd go to your local hospital and ask for who is incharge of that and i know they will direct you fast.

As for the afghans if the hospital had a nursing home too then the same coordinator will take them too.

hugs

Lillibet

I guess local is the way to go but I live in a very small town and there is only one small hospital in the county. The few things I made for babies, are too big for newborns, more like 1-2 yrs. I don't know of any local charities. I was just wondering if someone knew of a large organization that accepted donations from all over.

I guess local is the way to go but I live in a very small town and there is only one small hospital in the county. The few things I made for babies, are too big for newborns, more like 1-2 yrs. I don't know of any local charities. I was just wondering if someone knew of a large organization that accepted donations from all over.

Don't know of any specific charities, but Frederick, MD isn't that far from you. I'm sure they have a hospital or Salvation Army. There is a Salvation Army shelter in Winchester which I know is quite a bit farther. However, occasional newspaper articles have indicated they are overcrowded so they may be able to use them.

Frederick may also have a shelter for abused women...Winchester does.

Beverly

Also check Social Services no matter how small a town is there is always a Social Service to help families. Or if you have one the local police department might take them as well. There are always stories about how the police need these types of donations when they go out on a domestic call.

You might try writing the local state American Red Cross. They know about lots of places that need things here in Dallas and "hooked" my group up. I've made so many baby hats, adult booties and lapghans that I have memorized the various patterns I use. Or pick a big city and write the chamber of commerce. I bet they know who needs help and can give you who to talk to.

Don't know of any specific charities, but Frederick, MD isn't that far from you. I'm sure they have a hospital or Salvation Army. There is a Salvation Army shelter in Winchester which I know is quite a bit farther. However, occasional newspaper articles have indicated they are overcrowded so they may be able to use them.

Frederick may also have a shelter for abused women...Winchester does.

Beverly

Actually Frederick and Winchester are both exactly 45 min. away from me. (I'm not within the city limits of Harpers Ferry, but away a bit up on the mountain.) A shelter would be a great place for my items, do you know the name of the shelter? I don't have a Winchester phone book, but if you can give me their name, I can probably find them via Google.

I want to say THANK YOU :hug to everyone for all your wonderful suggestions. I wouldn't have thought of many like social services, police etc. You've given me some wonderful leads on who I might call or ask.

As for a local church, I head the knitting/crocheting group at my church so I know my pastor, and many others, would let me know if they knew of a need. But it's a very small church. I could call around to some others though!

Again, thanks...:manyheart

I would suggest local/county social services. Especially in the winter, the children services people are always in need of hats, etc. If you want to send it somewhere, try Pretty Bird Woman House. It's a domestic violence shelter on the Standing Rock Indian Reservation that has gone through some very serious hardships in the last year. They lost their shelter because of vandalism and were short on the money they needed to purchase a new house before their grant was withdrawn. They finally raised enough money (via some really awesome internet fundraising) and an ordinance was passed about shelters in their community because of a different shelter and is now hindering them from setting up their new shelter.

Long story short, it's a worthy cause that could always use crocheted items.

Ronald McDonald Houses take all kinds of donations and give them to families in need.

It's my favorite charity, but I'm bias since we stayed at one while my boys were in the NICU and we were 2 hours away from home. ;) We were given crocheted baby bankets and hats.

I sure you can get addresses on their website.

Hi tia, we are right down the road from each other:)

our charity for feb is going to be helping pine ridge and I know they can use them.

:hug,

sissie

I was at that thread about pine ridge and tried the email and it was undeliverable. I posted the problem I was having getting in touch with somebody, but no answer as of yet. Can you tell me who I can email so I can get an address, please?

You can pm me. Thanks!

When my daughter was in the children's ward of the hospital, ALL the kids got blankets (she got a lovely quiltly-type blanket), not just the newborns, so don't worry about anything being too big.

For anything adult-sized, try a local rehab center/nursing home/long-term care center type place, or the women's shelters, as stated above.

We had to spend some time in a shelter when I was a kid, and we got some old gold blankets like from a hotel and I think we *just* tossed them like 2 years ago. I turned 33 yesterday, lol! We dragged those things around forever, even though they were just used hotel blankets. If they'd been handmade afghans, I'd never had thrown them away! Even if they DID have holes in them!

There just isn't anything like a blanket when you've got nothing else to cling to...

Actually Frederick and Winchester are both exactly 45 min. away from me. (I'm not within the city limits of Harpers Ferry, but away a bit up on the mountain.) A shelter would be a great place for my items, do you know the name of the shelter? I don't have a Winchester phone book, but if you can give me their name, I can probably find them via Google.

The name is Shelter for Abused Women. There isn't an address for it in the telephone book, but the phone number is 540 667-6466. They also have a web site http://shelterforabusedwomen.org/pages.cfm?Page=home and it posts a Wish List of items needed.

Another place that may take the smaller blankets is the Briggs Animal Adoption Center Briggs Animal Adoption Center in Charlestown. That's where we got our last dog. That would be closer to you.

Beverly

Regarding the Salvation Army, I know they do pick ups. Is it possible to stockpile a bunch from your knit/crochet group and then do a clothing drive with the members of the church and have the Salvation Army come pick it all up?

I have finally decided (and have an address for) Pine Ridge and will send the box to them this week.

Thanks sooo much for everyone's help and suggestions. I will jot down all the names and places and suggestions for future reference. I really appreciate how you all jumped up to help...this is a great forum and you all are wonderful people...so willing to give. (I'm tearing up now :cry, but they are tears of joy.)

:hug:hug:hug

• 1 month later...

Archived