What is the correct way to pronounce...picot?

Pea -Ko is the correct way as it is a French word and follows their pronunciation rules. (that final t is silent in Fr.)

[Pi -cot ...French, from Old French, from pic, point, from piquer, to prick; see pique.]

I also say pee-ko. Glad to know I'm right, thanks for asking.

Someone asked 'why does it matter to know'? Well not sure about why it matters to the original poster...but for me, when I'm reading, I 'hear' the words in my head as if I'm saying them out loud. So it's quite annoying to be reading and come across a word I don't know how to pronounce.

I also say pee-ko.

Someone asked 'why does it matter to know'?

The awful truth is that in today's less than civil society, if you mispronounce a word like this people will tend to sneer and snicker. (The current :knit vs. :crocheting is an indication of the "tolerance" :rolleyes we see today.

Obviously people are free to say words in any way that works for them but society is not so gentle about allowing this anymore. :sigh

Thanks for all the replies. I always pronounced it as pi-cot because I wasn't sure about the correct pronounciation.The more you repeat a word in different ways the more it doesn't seem like a word at all and I seemed to do that whenever following a pattern and run across that word. I hope that answers the question as to "why" would I want to know how to pronounce that word.

You go girl! A girl after my own heart. That's great that you looked up the word pronounciation and word derivation. Thanks! Cheer!

Pea -Ko is the correct way as it is a French word and follows their pronunciation rules. (that final t is silent in Fr.)

[Pi -cot ...French, from Old French, from pic, point, from piquer, to prick; see pique.]

why do you want to know how to pronounce it?

jaye

I don't know why the person who started this thread wanted to know, but for myself, I just like to know the correct way to pronounce things. To me, pronunciation and grammar have always been very important and I LOVE learning the origins of words. I figure if I can't be rich and wear expensive clothing, at least I can be "well-dressed" when it comes to my vocabulary. :)

Elle

I say pee-ko. But it is important to know how to pronounce a word. I read a lot, and occasionally run across words I can't pronounce... worries me, so I spend time trying to say it, and lose the train of thought at that particular point in the book. If you're reading a pattern, and can't pronounce the word... you might have a tougher time the next time you run across that same word in another pattern.

You go girl! A girl after my own heart. That's great that you looked up the word pronounciation and word derivation. Thanks! Cheer!

I knew all that about it but I needed an authority to prove it to others :rofl

i know how it's suppose to be said, but it just sounds wierd to me. I try to avoid speaking the word...lol which isn't hard because i'm the only one who crochet's around here.

I don't think it should matter why someone want's to know how to say a word, but to me i rather know how to say a word than say it wrong all the time, and like someone said i like to be well dressed in my vocabulary:D

I'm glad someone asked this question.....I've been wondering myself but for some reason never thought to ask. Probably because when I speak crochet, everyone else goes "huh??" So I just talk to myself where pronunciation doesn't matter:heehee

Archived