2008 Stashbusting CAL Game (winners posted #1835)

laughlovehook

What timezone are you in?  

429 members have voted

1. 1. What timezone are you in?

• Outside of the US
    • Eastern GMT -5
    • Central GMT -6
    • Mountain GMT -7
    • Pacific GMT -8
    • Alaska or Hawaii GMT -9 GMT -10

I have managed to go to ac moore and michaels 2-3 times each this weekend each time looking for something different and I didn't leave with any yarn. Although my b/f almost blew it he threw me a pounder of bright orange to make hunting stuff for him and his day for hunting season this year. I actually told him if you buy that i will lose points lol he looked at me like i was crazy. But I think tomorrow might be my downfall I have been searching for sock yarn and finally found a LYS that has some perty sock yarn so i'm gonna go look and I might buy 2 balls to try my first pair of socks. well see what happens.

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm late this week, but it was because I was teaching a friend to crochet! I gifted her a mill end skein of Red Heart SS, so there's one gone. I used up one myself making Hobo Bags (can you believe I got two out of one skein of that stuff? I was hoping to stashbust SO much more than that!). I used one ball finishing the handles on a FBB, and 2 skeins on my newest knitted keyhole scarf. However, I need to make my poor doggie a sweater and didn't have the right shade of pink yarn in the stash, so I went to the LYS and picked up one skein of Cascade 220.

So my total for the week:

WTD: +8

Yay! I'm in the positives! I always end up buying yarn earlier in the week, so this time I used up some late last night and then I'll buy the yarn tomorrow. I'll probably still end the week in the negatives, though. There are just too many good projects to make and they all need yarn.

Can somebody PM me some instructions on how to set up an Excel spreadsheet for this stashbusting? I know some of you have, and I'm trying to do it so that I get all my math right. :think I've got a good general idea of how to work Excel, I'm just trying to figure out how to get it to total everything up at the end of the week without having to type in a new code for each block... Is it possible? PM me if you can and please help me out! :hug

I didn't get to post on Saturday.. we had bad thunderstorms and had to unplug the computer. I'd rather my hd be safe from power surges .. but sorry I missed getting on the list again this week. The last time I posted was on Friday (post #557).

Oh well.. my time will come. For the record.. my score for this week was +8.

:help Im having the worst time trying to get something done today -- STARTED no less.:(. tried knitting an afghan with homespun - dumb idea considering Im a newbie knitter...so that ended in a hurry. To top it off I was using those fat speed stix AND 3 strands...what the heck was I thinking - UGH. apparently I WASN'T !! so I decided Id just use my P crochet hook and do the 4 1/2 hr afghan on the LB site, but now I don't think I like how the colors look and I'm probably going to frog the last 90 mins work I did. I think it may be time to just put the football game on and start a pot of sauce for dinner *heavy sigh* :)

well I went to a yarn store and found my sock yarn so of course I got 2 skeins *sighs* so -4 for the week so far but I should be able to make that up as I I have 2 skeins almost finished and I am going to do my sock this week so that is something at least my YTD is still positive

Okay, for the third week in a row, I'm starting in the negatives on the first day. I bought two pounders last night for my sister's comfortghan.

Can somebody PM me some instructions on how to set up an Excel spreadsheet for this stashbusting? I know some of you have, and I'm trying to do it so that I get all my math right. :think I've got a good general idea of how to work Excel, I'm just trying to figure out how to get it to total everything up at the end of the week without having to type in a new code for each block... Is it possible? PM me if you can and please help me out! :hug

Here's what I did

In the first column I put the week ending date. To not have to type it in, I just typed in the first one, and then in the next one down used =A1+7 for the formula and pasted that all the way down.

In the second column I put the total for WTD. The formula will make more sense when I tell you what the other columns are. It was

=(D1*2+E1)-(F1*2+G1)

The third colum was for YTD I started this formula on row 2, as for for row 1, it was the same as WTD. The formula for that one is:

=C1+B2

Columns D through G don't need formulas, this is where you enter your data.

The fourth column (D) is for skeins used in the week.

The fifth column (E) is for balls used.

F is for skeins purchased or aquired

G is for balls purchased or aquired

I also have a column set aside for the projects involved, but that's bonus.

I hope this helps. If not, let me know. I could probably just email you a copy of the one I set up.

Well I surprised myself and was able to use up one of the big skeins on my comfort shawl. +2, got the back and one wing done, just started on second wing.

For the person who asked about the wonder ball (sorry forgot to jot down your name), :blush from what I was told (I never made one) it is the scraps left from your skeins, tied together and rolled into a ball. It is used to make grannies or ripples. She called it an ugly afghan.

I make up a wonder ball after I have used any yarn to make yo -yo's or granny's daughters... I have used mine to make blankets for the cats... small throws for my kids to use on the ground or floor... my hubby has one in the trunk of his car for emergency purposes

Chris--I feel your pain. I started a baby afghan today, but my heart's not in it. I promised a lady at work I'd make one for her, but I'm just not in the mood for it. I just finished knitting a scarf with Homespun, and it really took some getting used to. I love the 4 1/2 hour pattern, though. I made several throws for Christmas presents, using a P hook and 3 strands of Simply Soft.

Made several charity squares today, but didn't finish up any skeins or balls. Maybe I'll have better luck tomorrow.

I haven't used anything up yet. I hopefully will soon since I'll be getting hit with a couple bags of yarn by Thursday :sigh

I'm making the magic/mystery ball too with my scraps. I did add a point to my score when it got to 4 oz but I'm going to start making something with it and then just start adding my scraps to the project as I go so I won't have the ball sitting around getting bigger anymore. :)

I used a skein yesterday finishing up some WUA rectangles. I have one skein left in the Caron SS stash I bought before I move onto some other projects.

Used up 2 full skeins & 5 partials on WUA pieces yesterday... and then started another RR. I didn't really want to, but the yarn & hook had other ideas! :crocheting

That WIP list will never get any shorter this way!! :lol

Archived