Does anyone else have crochet burnout?

Nope--no crochet burnout for me!! I guess because I finished all of my crocheting a few day's before Christmas(whew)!! Which was a first for me!!:lol I will be crocheting like crazy in the next few days though. I gave my oldest daughter a RR, using RH black and camouflage and my youngest daughter went crazy over it. So now she wants one!! Her birthday is Jan. 6!!:eek I haven't been able to start on it because we have 7 of our 16 grandchildren staying here with us until Sunday(Dec. 30). I'm surprised I even have time to be here at the 'Ville!!:lol Oooops--gotta go!!:)

I'm a bit tired from crocheting and knitting with all the items I made for Christmas gifts.... dress and bear for my niece, sweater and caterpillar for my nephew, cardigan and bear for my daughter, Branching Out leaf scarf for my MIL (very tedious knitting project although it was beautiful!), socks for myself, dishcloths for my mom and MIL, and I'm sure a few other things. I recently started a knitted scarf for myself and it was going fine until today......I keep making mistakes in the pattern and don't realize it until a few rows later and then have to tink back all those rows to fix it. With all the yarn overs and sk2psso I'd never be able to unravel it and pick up correctly...so I think I'm a bit tired and burned out. Not to mention I have a 21 month old daughter who is going nuts with all her new toys and I am 30 weeks pregnant so I'm exhausted anyway, lol.

I think for the next few days I'm just going to focus on getting my house back to normal and instead of starting any new projects, I'll just work on organizing my stash and patterns. I've been winding up yarn cakes from half-used skeins and getting my patterns into sheet protectors and properly placed in my binders. I'm sure in a few days I'll come across a pattern or some yarn in my stash that will just call to me to be used.

I didn't do is much crocheting for Christmas as I wanted to. I decided to move in December :(. So moving and Christmas and life...crocheting took a backseat. I did a monkey for DS and was working on a bunny for DD. All I have left to do is the bunny's last leg and sew on her button eyes...well everytime I sit on the couch to do that I can not bring myself to pick it up. They did not get them for Christmas and I cant give him his without giving her hers. It will take me 30 mins...maybe and hour the most, but I just can't. They are away until the new year. Maybe then...

I don't get burn out so much, but I do get flair up's of my RSI in my wrists.

Sometimes I try to keep going, even though I am in tears and then end up with blisters from holding the hook differently - trying to avoid the pain. Not really worth it, but it drives me insane just sitting and watching TV and not being able to crochet.

I almost cried last night, because my youngest niece had been visiting for two days and I had brought her latest doll that she got for Christmas home to try measurements etc on - but I just COULDN"T crochet anything for her.

She turned around to Grandma this morning and said, "Do you think my new baby has some new clothes yet from Aunty Di?"

Mum just sat her down and told her that Aunty Di had very sore hands and couldn't make any clothes this time, but if she was a very good girl, she would be able to get something next time. I just wish so much that I could of made things for her as Santa didn't bring much this year (hair ties and undies)because of a huge rent increase and my sister having to finish work as she is due again in less than two months. By the time that she confided in Mum and I that this was happening - my wrists had flaired up and I couldn't make them anything. When she asked St Vincent's and a couple of other charities for help they said that everything had already been sent out earlier in the month and that they couldn't help her. (She had 5 girls and another due - the two youngest were hit the hardest with Santa being so poor - the two oldest girls understood and the smallest is to young to understand.)

Hopefully they will settle down soon - have been bad for nearly three weeks now.

After I made an afghan for my mom which must have had a thousand grannies, I stopped for a while.That was in July... My life got crazy with work, and I am in a doctoral program at a local university...my focus just went to other places. Around the end of November I picked up a hook and haven't put it down. For me I don't know if it is burnout or exhaustion, but I forgot how much it helps to relieve stress. I think when you don't feel like crocheting or whatever it is, it becomes work. That's when you need to take a break.

Gardnr

If I make a lot of one thing, then I get burned out. Then it takes me a while to either make another one, or find a project that's different to make.

I make a lot of hats, and after about 6, I need to work on an afghan or something that is different.

I have even gone a few weeks not wanting to crochet until I have found the "right" project. It can be a stressful time.

:manyheart

On Christmas Eve, I was crocheting right up until the last minute and my hands were really hurting and I was feeling some of that burnout. Then Christmas morning I got an edgerydoo and some new books :c9 and I was done there rummaging through my yarn bins in no time:hook! I occassionally feel weary, but all I have to do is log onto crochetville and see some great pattern someone has shared and I am running for my hooks again! :crocheting

BOY! Could I relate to this post! I am not burnt out so much as WORN out! From all the late nights crocheting and finding out another bday was coming and the like!

My friend has 10 kids and 7 of their bdays fall between Sept and Dec! I love them all and attend the parties ( some are combined) but the budget demands that homemade gifts are a part of this - so my hook was smokin'!

Anyways she and I have a knitting/crochet/craft/movie nite on Wednesdays and we do needlework while the families and us watch classic movies...She always would ask me "So watcha' workin' on???" and watched me pull out a dishcloth - so that is what she thought I did all season! When actually I had to fit in all the bday presents and the towel toppers around NOT bringing them to craft night! She was always amazed when I showed up for a bday and then on Christmas at my place - and would say ---- "Aha! So THAT's what you were workin' on!"

Her family loves homemade gifts so though I am tired from the bulk of it I am happy they are happy!

So with all those bdays, the charity event for ACS, Christmas stuff for everyone on my list and my own family, daughters formal and some WIPS here goes the tally - I hope I am remembering it all:(:(:(

*3 Angel Bears

*3 Seraphina Shawls

*3 Dishclothes

*1 big wool ribbon fringe scarf

*1 pineapple thread doily

*1 regular thread doily

*4 cross thread bookmarks

*24 - yes you read right! 24! Crocheted towel toppers with Mary Engelbright buttons - so cute

*1 cashmere filet fun fur poncho shawl for dd's formal finished on the way to the airport!

*6 crocheted edge fleece panels - 2 fall wildlife scenes, 1 winter wildlife scene, 1 "duckie" scene, 1 with a religious scene and the words to Amazing grace, 1 dolphin ocean scene - and the dolphin one I am currently on the last edge and it is a Christmas present for a niece I get to see TOMORROW! Hubby is laying bets that I will be finishing it off in the car on the way!:lol:lol:lol

*1 scrap fun fur poncho

*1 eyeglasses/sunglasses case

*1 C'Ville tote

I think that's it - now after New Years I am pulling out a pattern I got about 2 years back for an Aran Cardigan for myself! I special ordered the washable Blue Heather wool back then and it just hasn't been the time until now for "counting and cabling". My friend with the 10 kids has made tons of this type of sweater and is a wonderful coach so - it will be fun!

I also want to start another prayer shawl so I will have what I call a "mindless" no counting project going too!:)

I'm not at all burned out.;) I crocheted almost nonstop since July...right up until the last minute working on Christmas gifts. I haven't been able to crochet much a couple days now because I've been visiting family, but I've managed to squeeze in half of a hat during that time.:lol AND get a dishcloth otn. AND I'm creating my own round afghan pattern.

We went to Joanne's day before yesterday (my sister, my mom and I) and I bought 14 skeins of yarn!!...all on sale!!!! :cheerCan't wait to get started with those. Most will be an lacy afghan (thick and quick chenille...off white, browns, & black)...2 skeins microfiber black for knitting socks (just learning to knit) and 2 skeins Jiffy wool ease white with iridescent sparklies for the Cathedral window Cal (still haven't bought the pattern or other colors).

(hmmm....maybe I should start a crochet addiction support thread?:think)

Oh yeah, me too. I want to pick something up when I sit in front of the TV, but don't really feel like it. Then I sit there watching TV with nothing to do at the same time and it is driving me crazy!!!! I'm not much on granny squares, but I've been trying out one or two squares I saw in the most recent magazines.

I don't know if I ever really burn out, but there are times when my body burns out. LOL. I have to take a couple nights off from crocheting and just relax the body. Sometimes, I just get boredor stressed with a project. If that's the case, then I start on another one, and go back to the previous one after that is finished. I like working on several projects at once. If I'm in a slump and don't really feel inspired, then I just take a trip to the LYS so I can squeeze and feel on some skeins of yarn. After I bring some home, I feel much better and enthused to start on another project.

Yup, I'm definitely feeling burnout after making crochet gifts for Xmas and then just finished a sc shrug that didn't turn out the way I hoped (way too small!). I'm taking a few days off and then I know I'll be back to working on something!

Kim

I didn't do is much crocheting for Christmas as I wanted to. I decided to move in December :(. So moving and Christmas and life...crocheting took a backseat. I did a monkey for DS and was working on a bunny for DD. All I have left to do is the bunny's last leg and sew on her button eyes...well everytime I sit on the couch to do that I can not bring myself to pick it up. They did not get them for Christmas and I cant give him his without giving her hers. It will take me 30 mins...maybe and hour the most, but I just can't. They are away until the new year. Maybe then...

Funny thing quoting myself...

Anyway! I DID IT! I finished moving (not unpacking) so I sat down last night and forced myself to finish DDs bunny. It's done and now I think my burnout is gone! :clapI started on something for DH that I was meaningto do for him...we will see how long that lasts.

I'm not burnt out because crochet is keeping me sane right now. I have a horrid situation to deal with (25 yo daughter with brain injury and a 3 yo grandchild). The beauty of crochet about 15 minutes a day calms me and keeps me going. How relaxing it is to shop on websites for 15 minutes and dream about the next project.

I knit when I burnout on crochet, and crochet when I burnout on knitting. :hug I hope the burnout passes soon for you!:yes

Yup, crochet burnout for me...

I do the same. I'm on a knitting kick right now, instead. Here's what I typically do for burnout:

1) browse through the different patterns and completed items in Ravelry or just look at online patterns for inspiration. I always find something I'd like to add to my "wish list".

2) buy a really nice yarn (I just bought some sock yarn that I've always wanted)

3) make something for MYSELF. It's nice not having that pressure to finish something for someone else. That's why I chose socks, you can never have enough of them...

I'd love to "give crochet a rest" for a while but deep down I still have to do SOMETHING with my hands. Strange....

Cheryl.

• 12 years later...

Yes I do. I run a mini crochet business and I get multiple orders per day. I spend hours and hours crocheting trying to reach customer deadlines. I'm only 18 years old but in the 8 years I've been crocheting I found that my posture keeps getting worse and I suffer from constant back, neck and hip pain. I'm currently still in high school and juggling school work and my business has come with a lot of sacrifices.

The worst burnout I've ever experienced was caused by my lack of sleep (because of crochet deadlines) and emotional stress (family members passing due to the COVID-19). I didn't address those issues and I ended up having a breakdown/burn out at school. After getting help, I found that addressing my issues instead of distracting myself with crocheting is healthy and it's okay to take a break.