Does anyone else have crochet burnout?

Last night I got home from work and settled into my recliner for some quiet crochet time and did not feel like it.:eek I had stayed up until 1am christmas eve and then up at 5am and crocheted until noon just to finish gifts. Now I have no desire to work on any of the projects that i put aside to have time for gifts. DOes anyone else get this way? what do you do to get out of the funk?

Oh yeah I'm definetely burned out. I worked on presents christmas eve for 3 hours strait only to get home wrap and take to give to grandma, then christmas day crocheted a bookmark for a friends girlfriend. I'd been crocheting and looming for 2 months straight before all that!

Needless to say my sewing machine has been calling me for days!Anything other than crocheting. My ferrets do need some new snuggly beds so perhaps I"ll work on that. The worst part is My SIL's birthday is Sunday and I just don't feel like finishing her present! I"m going to have to just get off my butt and do it tomorrow or tonight but I really have no motivation.

I have decided that if i am given the choice I don't want to have any babies around Christmas. lol. I know can't really plan these things to much but still.

Oh MY, burnout?? I am so sorry, I hope you all get to feeling better soon. Nope I don't have it, but I didn't stay up all night and finish like you poor gals did.... I am glad you finished, take a few days off, you will be back to it soon. If not take a trip to a yarn store or go through your patterns, that will make you ready to go again.......hope you feel better soon!!

I had the same thing happen last year after Christmas. I just didn't feel like crocheting, looking at patterns or even looking at Crochetville. So, I just took a break from it all. I found other things to do (things that I had probably been neglecting far too long anyway!) until I felt like crocheting again. Like Eliea, I did get out my sewing machine and did some quilting and dress-making. But if you don't have another hobby that you already enjoy, now may be a good time to learn one. Don't worry...the crochet bug will bite again in no time! Just enjoy diversifying your free time for a while! It's good to take a creative break now and then!

My sister lilpug is in a burn out her arms are bothering her so she takes a few day off from it here and there. As for me nope Iam still going at it in the process of a hoodie now. :)

No burnout here.....but I don't make crocheting a chore or job....I consider it a hobby. Why burn myself out by forcing myself to crochet Christmas and birthday gifts for everyone and having to meet deadlines, etc. When it gets to that point it's no longer a hobby.

I think we all do, from pumping out the Christmas gifts and whatnot this time of year. I wouldn't be hard on yourself. Personally, I alternate between knitting and crocheting, to prevent burnout in one or the other.

When I burn out, I organize my patterns, knit a sweater or just crochet grannies (use up my partial skeins - someday I'll have a very colorfull blankie!). If I simply can't handle yarn (perish the thought!) I'll bake something . . . . . yum or make coasters from thread . . . . usually by the time I'm 1/2 finished with the sweater, I'm aching to drop the needles and grab a hook!

I had a touch of burnout from making 6 Christmas stockings, 9 penguins and 6 snowmen. I bought presents for my family this year. Yesterday I sorted through my stash and pattern books. Last night I started crocheting again. I think the only time I burnout is when I have to make a lot of things on a time limit.

Ellie 13

Last night I got home from work and settled into my recliner for some quiet crochet time and did not feel like it.:eek I had stayed up until 1am christmas eve and then up at 5am and crocheted until noon just to finish gifts. Now I have no desire to work on any of the projects that i put aside to have time for gifts. DOes anyone else get this way? what do you do to get out of the funk?

I understand COMPLETELY how you feel! I am totally burned out on yarn for the time being, although I'm raring to go on thread projects. I'm not burned out on crochet in general, just on the projects that were looming over my head right up until Christmas Day. I'm still working on one gift, but it's a filet thread piece, and I'm enjoying every minute of it. The future recipient has told me "don't rush" so that took the pressure off, and I should get that one finished either tonight or tomorrow.

Elle

I am soooo burnt out on crocheting! I had a plan in place this year that would have had me finished with all of my gifts 2 weeks early. But do to a back injury that left me flat for about a week...and unable to sit for extended periods for another 2 weeks...I was up till about 2am Christmas Eve, then up again at 6am Christmas morning finishing gifts. :eek But I did finish! 2 huge round ripples, 4 hats, 4 scarves, and 2 baby blankets!!!:faint Next year I plan on starting in July to allow for any setbacks.

I do not want to even look at my hooks right now. And the worst part is, I didn't finish DH's 'ghan. :blush I told him he'd get his gift next time he's home (he's a trucker). Now I'm not so sure!!! :lol

:(Add me to the burnout list. I know I'll feel better in a few days, but at this moment I'm just ready to crawl in bed and not get up TIL NEXT YEAR!

I'm burned out right now. I haven't picked up my hook in almost a week. The next projects that I need to do are just put on hold untill I'm ready to get going again. I think I'm just tired now. This past week or so, has really been busy. I just need to relax, and do nothing for a while, then I'll be fine.

i was for awhile. no one got a crocheted gift this year. i had gotten the yarn to make my mom a round ripple so i started it a few days ago and guess what i am in love again and going strong. dont worry you will get past this and your hook will be there when you need it.

I've been struggling with crochet burnout for a couple of months now...I just press on as best as I can and also give myself permission to just not crochet for a day or two...it's tough because I have projects that should have been done by now. I originally wanted them as Christmas presents...ain't happening (but I didn't let the recipents go without a Christmas gift...I did something else.) I've gone pretty much full tilt crocheting for the last 3 or 4 years with nary a long break. I would get a little burned out for a week or so (posted here about that couple of times) but eventually I'd get with the program...but I'm really struggling now. I can't seem to get excited about any patterns I come across or work on designing my own...it has me a little concerned, but I'm not gonna give up.

I'd say for yourself, give yourself a break for a day or two and then see how you feel...or even a week or two...pick up your hook and maybe try to make a small item just to keep the wheels oiled, kwim? But don't panic if you still don't feel like crocheting...

As they say say "This too shall pass". I get burned out wheneverr I do a really big project. In a few days I'm back at it. I try to figure what I am going to make for Christmas the summer before. When I finish all the big projects, then I will work on little things like hats or scarves. That way I won't have to rush. Hope you are back in the swing soon.

Something that has helped me is learning a new stitch. I'm currently learning the tunisian knit and purl stitches with the help of the videos at http://www.nexstitch.com plus I'm learning the zigzag seed stitch to knit a small cushion/pad for my car. Just can't commit myself to a really large project at this time.

Beverly

I completely know what you mean. I've been trying to get to my DD's Christmas present for weeks and had to work on stuff for other people off and on every night. Luckily she's only 19 months and doesn't care so much, but I'm almost done and then I may be taking a bit of a crochet break.

Nuts! I have to finish my niece's blanket before taking a break. But, I will be taking some kind of break soon, I need one!

I get that way too!!! I work for hours on end on a project, determined to get it done, then spend days trying things out, frog, try something else, frog, and on and on. Til I get disgusted and have to walk away for awhile. Usually happens around now when I have done a whole big list of stuff. Then I slowly get back into by doing an afghan and just crocheting a little bit at a time, it's for me so there is no pressure or rush, it will get done when it get's done.

I find that it is the stress and pressure of deadlines that takes the joy out of it all, and once I start taking it slow and easy, I am back in the groove and enjoying it all.