where do you buy yarn?

curell5

Does anyone out there have a really great online store that they buy their yarn from? I unfortunately have limited choices locally. Walmart and Michaels. There is a store that I go to for really unique yarns, but it costs me an arm and a leg to get enough yarn for a scarf, much less a large project!! I've just discovered Maggies online and I'm curious to see how many other stores there are. I plan on googling, so I'll post too if I find any great ones! But I'm sure that this wonderful group of yarn lovers will post many stores before I even get the chance to google!! Love you guys!:c9

Thanks, you guys! I've been able to check out JoAnns. I will be checking out the other recommendations soon. I'm sure you other mamas know how it is, sit at the computer for a few minutes, get up and fix a toy, sit down with a project for a few, get up and kiss a boo-boo,... Yeah, I'm not allowed to have a very long "attention span" these days!!;) Anyhow, thanks for helping a girl find a good place to shop from home!

another good online for all kinds of yarn/thread is http://yarn-and-threadbylisa.biz/

Good prices, FIXED shipping, (free over $50, too)...don't know about delivery time, as I haven't had a chance to order there yet.

another good thread site is http://www.hhtatting.com Their prices are good, and they ship quickly...one week from order to delivery...It was shipped next morning (I ordered afterhours)

if you like peaches and creme (like sugar and cream) go to http://www.elmore-pisgah.com There's a lot more than just peaches and cream...I'm using the honeysuckle sport right now for a sweater, and I want to try the petalspun too.

have fun surfing.

hope my :2c helped

Oh, yes...one caveat...If you qualify for a website's "free shipping" (say, $50 or more order), it may actually be a SLOW shipping. You can die of old age waiting for "free shipping" orders from Joann.com to arrive. I've read where other people have had similar experiences.

Thanks for the warning about the slow free shipping. That is good to know since right now I am shopping for yarn to make a baby blanket for my sister. Her baby is due in January, so I would get anxious if the shipping was slow!! I don't want the baby to be a toddler before he gets his blankie!

I've always received my orders from JoAnns very quickly. They send an order confirmation and notify me when they ship. I've found Herrschners to be very slow. Knitting Warehouse is fast and they have a flat rate shipping fee no matter how much you order.

Hope that helps.

I have gotten yarn from Michael's, Hobby Lobby, Amazon.com and Walmart. I have yet to invest in the more expensive yarn. I mainly use Lion Brand or Red Heart. When I get better at sweaters I will get a better yarn I think.

wal-mart :sigh hobby lobby. The Jo-Ann's close to me never has more than homespun or some other yarn that is over priced and not what I need. If I am headed out towards Michael's then I will see what they have on sale. But usually it's Wal-Mart as they have the cheapest prices in town and it's not too far from my house.

Just to pass this interesting idea on... I was talking to someone in the yarn section at walmart and she sometimes will buy outdated sweaters at thrift stores and unravel them. She has instructions for unraveling and is going to send them to me. If anyone is interested in giving that a try, let me know and I'll see about getting them to you.

• 2 weeks later...

I mostly get mine from knitpicks or other online stores I have bookmarked. It depends on what I am looking for and what I want to spend. I find the yarn at michaels and joanns just isn't what I want. I'm picky. Lately I have been getting most from knitpicks and patternworks.

hmmm...

locally, there's a wonderful yarn shop about 4 blocks from where i live in downtown Edmonton- Knit & Purl. lots of interesting stuff, anything to suit your plans and MANY oddball yarns to inspire ya. and, the owner rocks- i've spent LOTS of time just gabbing and discussing all sorts of things there, and they've got a "knit & b1tch" in the back.

also, i have to admit- i am an etsy.com addict when it comes to yarn; i've got a few regular seller-suppliers of handspun/handdyed wools, mostly merino & cotton & silk & mohair & art-yarns, etc. noting like getting a soft squishy pkg in the mail :mail

Just to add one more online store to the mix.....

JimmyBeans!! jimmybeanswool.com

I placed an order and got it really quickly!! I'll definately be ordering from them again!!

Just to pass this interesting idea on... I was talking to someone in the yarn section at walmart and she sometimes will buy outdated sweaters at thrift stores and unravel them. She has instructions for unraveling and is going to send them to me. If anyone is interested in giving that a try, let me know and I'll see about getting them to you.

That is the way it used to be done. And also how grannies started. I would love a copy. I can remember my grandma doing that with old sweaters and other stuff that we outgrew, or had a few holes, etc. And scraps always went into a granny ghan.

Thanks you all...there are no places to get yarn around here except walmart, and their selection is not good...i guess i'm not in a very crafty area!! These sites you all have listed so far will get me started, and hershnerrs is listed several times...can somebody give the actual web address?? Thanks!!

Archived