Am I out of it?

I LOVE shawls and wraps and stoles :manyheart I also like the pattern you posted and made one of those for my Mom in Red Heart SS in emerald green) for Christmas and also made one for myself (in Jiffy varigated blues). I have got lots of compliments whenever I wear my half moon shawl and also when I wear other wraps (those are store bought fabric ones). I have several more shawls, wraps and stopes on my WIM list to get onto inthe new year :yes

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I made Sweet Pea shawls for my 2 kids teachers for teacher appreciation last year... one commented that her dtr wears them all the time wrapped at her waist and such and that she loved having her own. I made another for the school's auction this year and found out my son's teacher won it... she said she's giving it to her DIL for christmas because she loves shawls. I need to make a nice one for myself one of these days!

I wear my shawls and so do my college age daughters. We have several and decided to buy a large basket to store them. We leave it in the living room and anyone who needs one can grab the color of their choice. (I even saw my daughter's boyfriend wrapped up in a Homespun in fall colors one evening.) The girls refer to it as the "basket o' shawls" and think it should be like those ashtrays of pennies at stores---need a shawl? take one! have a shawl? leave one!--except, of course, that we provide all of them.

My "unfashionable" shawl is almost finished. I've been working on it off and on between Christmas presents. When it's finished, I'll post a photo. Thanks to all of you for your kind comments.:day:ghug

I love shawls. I have one I fasten with a pin and wear as a poncho sometimes, in fact my puppy is giving me a new pin for it for Christmas! I have lightweight, medium and heavyweight shawls, and in fact, will be wearing a very special pineapple shawl by our own vicki (mythunderbird) when I get married later this month.

• 6 months later...

If I am PERFECTLY HONEST, then I hafta share that I once felt the same way. THEN I learned to crochet, and all that changed! Now I absolutely ADORE sooo many things I didn't before... I'm glad my Hazel is growing up with it, because as I pulled up that cupcake shawl she gasped and pointed with sheer delight! (((((HUGS))))) sandi

I hated shawls for a LONG time. Mainly because my mom made them for me to wear to church and other occasions where I'd have to dress up, and when I was little, I was a COMPLETE tomboy had HATED dressing up. Not to mention that it was hard to sneak around and climb trees and catch frogs with a shawl that kept falling off. LOL

BUT, now that I'm older, I love the way they look. Haven't attempted to make one though, because any kind of wearables are intimidating to me.

I love shawls and I wear them quite frequently. So if you are out of it, well then, I'm out of it with you.

I third that I geuss I AM OUT OF IT TOO!

poeple in movies wearing shawls!

Think that is a very pretty pattern.can't wait to se pictures when you are done!

I made three shawls for christmas presents this year, one is a shrug shawl. I am thinking of making another one soon. Even if you don't want to wear it out and about, they are perfect for laying around the house. My sister ordered hers by color, I had already made it in the color she requested. I made her the cupcake shawl too, it's a lovely pattern and will work well with jeans in the cameo, I would love to see a picture. I also made a green seraphina, the other one is called the summer wrap.

:angryOk, I have a gripe with people who just because they may or may not wear a particular item. Shawls whether it be bought, :crochetingcorcheted, woven, sewn or :knitknitted will never be out of style.

I bet this person is a closet shawl wearer. I'd like to see what this person wears to black tie event or when wants to appear elegant. You are not out of it.:yay

Sorry I became passion8.

I finished the shawl and my gauge was WAY off and it is very big. I love it! It was great to wrap up in when I watched TV in the winter and my chis love to cuddle with me when I'm wearing it. M MIL definitely has a style of her own, I'm still chuckling over her polka dot shoes she bought about a year ago lol!

Well I think that would look awesome! I am far from trendy and do my own thing LOL at 35 wIth 2 teens my dd(16) thinks I'm already acting like a granny LOL!!

Make what makes YOU happy not what your MIL or anyone else thinks is in style.

I am always surprised about comments about about whether something like a shawl is "in style" or not. Shawls, as far, as I can tell for the last 30+ of my ADULT life have never been out of style. I still have a "wrap" that my ex MIL gave me back in the early 80's. I haven't worn it in a good long while, but I still have it and it's not dated looking.

I received a shawl last year that I wore all summer and it was awesome looking with jeans.

And you know, even if your MIL contacted the show "What Not to Wear" about this issue, and even if they pinched their noses and said, "ewww....crochet wear, shawls...that's so, What not to wear..." that's just their PERSONAL OPINION. What's your opinion? If you like to make and wear shawls, do so and like others have said, set your own trend.

I think what really annoyed me the most in the first post is the MIL's comment of "No one will wear that..." Says who? And so one shouldn't make something just because no one else does? With that line of reasoning, because oh so many kids out there wearing their pants too big and hanging halfway down to their knees, then that's how I should dress too?

You know in Germany, although spelled differently I think, the word "shawl" is used not just for shawls, but for scarves as well...basically it's the same concept to them.

And trust me, all manner of scarves and shawls are worn here...

One last note...I got married in 2001...and I was a member of the Knot and Ultimate Weddings...you would not believe how many brides opted for the wrap or shawl look for their weddings...many were made out of tulle, or satin or silk, some were crocheted. I designed a retangaled wrap/shawl for a cousin's wedding and then she never got married, but it originally was intended for her wedding. She loved it and wears it now.

One other thing...I've been crocheting since I was 10...and for about 35 years after that, I'd go on crochet benders and then put the hook down for long stretches of time...back in high school (in the 70's) I crocheted one shawl and it ended almost being the size of a bedspread...it was the first time I worked with a pattern and I didn't know what I was doing as far as gauge or anything like that...I did it for homeec and got an A on it. Wore it to my prom...I knitted a shawl and that one was my own design... got an A in home ec on that one too. I wore both all the time.

Almost 5 years ago, after another long stretch away from the crochet hook, an online friend was getting married and wanted to crochet a shawl for her wedding. She used a free Bernat pattern and was stuck on it...she asked me for help via Messenger. We spent 3 hours on the Messenger with me walking her through the pattern. And that's how I ended back crocheting and all but never putting my hooks down since...all because of a shawl. I ended up making a couple of shawls right along with her myself.

Never out of fashion...

To be honest with you, I have seen many shawls and shawl patterns that are not items that I would wear. However, I have very simple tastes. I don't like a lot of ornate designs in anything, whether we are talking clothing or furniture. While I don't particularly care for the shawl in your link...it's a bit too rounded for my taste...I love plain and simple triangular shawls. In fact, I am wearing one right now. It's very cold in my office. I keep one on the back of my chair that I wear nearly every day at work.

I have never been much of a fashion plate anyway...at least since I have been out of college. There are MANY times I have watched "What Not to Wear" and wondered about the new clothing that they pick out for people. In fact...sometimes I wonder about the clothing that Stacy and Clinton wear!

I guess I must be lucky. I work in a fairly large department and though they were surprised I crocheted, I got several orders for shawls. It is sometimes very chilly here, whether it's summer or winter, so we do need to wrap up sometimes.

You are DEFINATELY NOT out of it!!!! I made a shawl for a friend at my church and she tells me she has had a lot of "raves" about it. I think a shawl is a lovely, thoughtful gift for people and if it recalls those long-ago times when women were so femininie and dainty, well, that makes it even better. I think a lot of the modern designs are just beautiful. Also, for a person who is in a nursing home or house-bound, they appreciate dthe "prayer shawl" idea a lot. Whatever is the reason for making a shawl, be happy in your accomplishment --- heck, a lot of people can;t even make them!

I have to share my most recent shawl adventures on here. My bday was in april and i had started a shawl as a "present to myself". well, the day i wove the last end in, I did it at work and before I could try the shawl on, 1 client asked me to make her one in a different color.

Then I was trying it on and I'd followed the pattern identically, but it wasn't quite as large as I wanted it to be for ME. a client came in and went absotively posilutely GA GA over it, color and all. So she got THATfirst one. I made the other wmn hers w/ a slightly larger hook (from an F to a H), and then I tried it again w/ an even larger hook (J) and it was looser in the stitch, but still not quite as large as I wanted it to be, so another that came in went ga ga over that 1.

So, out of 3 shawls, I've still not got me one...lol.

I'm leaning towards doing it in filet crochet, started at the bottom and working my way up. Just delaying on starting cuz I'm slightly worried that I might give up by time I get it to width I want.

So, if my experience counts for anything on the subject, shawls are NOT out. They seem quite IN around here. :)

Sandy

You know in Germany, although spelled differently I think, the word "shawl" is used not just for shawls, but for scarves as well...basically it's the same concept to them.

And trust me, all manner of scarves and shawls are worn here...

I love your post! She's originally from Germany (Hannover) and prides herself on that. I don't crochet for her. I made her dog a sweater and she "decorated" it and I don't want people to think I made it because it is to be honest, a tad bit "tacky" looking. Anyway, she normally has a very good heart just always thinks she knows almost everything and is very often frustrated with me for not agreeing with her. OH well, life stays interesting lol!:)

Archived