Am I out of it?

A friend of mine came over Thursday to stitch and she was working on a shawl. She then explained that she wore hers to the office last week and had SIX coworkers order a shawl for themselves. And if you go to the mall you see them for sale everywhere.

I would look silly in a shawl though. :eek

:bounce

Ahhh come on now! I bet a camo one would be very nice on you! LOL

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a white stole at the office all year round. A/C in summer means the office gets too cold for me, and in winter, it's the reverse. My coworker in the neighboring cubicle has her mother's old shawl she wears just about every morning while she warms up. I'm 42, she's 37. Fashion plates we may not be, but hey, I just got an inverted bob coif and we're not completely un-hip! :lol Earlier this year I made a huge shawl for a friend who was undergoing chemotherapy. She's about 36 or 37, too. Made my little sister a stole 2 years ago. Oh, and by stole, I mean a rectangular piece, while shawls are triangular (at least, that's the way I've always thought of them). Who cares what MIL thinks? Or anyone else for that matter? If you like it, wear it! Patty

If you're off base, then I'm coming with you. I've been looking everywhere for a nice shawl pattern so I could make my mom a shawl. I'm SO happy you posted this. I've heard of the "half moon shawl" before, but the only one I ever found didn't look much like a shawl. I think it's gorgeous, personally, and I think that your color choice (the pink camo) WILL look great with casual wear like jeans.

I don't make shawls all that much, but I am huge in to making wraps, which a just shawl that is a long rectangle with or with out fringe. In the winter I wear it around the house if it is cold, I wear it to get the paper, in the summer a light lacy one is perfect for the beach in the evening. So I do think people do wear them, the ones I have made as gifts have gotten rave reviews, so I wouldn't listen to her!

:day I would like to thank all of you for your responses. I am overwhelmed at how many of you have written. MIL is an extremely outspoken person and for the most part "tres chic" with her clothing. I'm not young--just an insecure 50 year old who thought her own personal syle was pretty good but MIL and her polka dot shoes thought differently. :garden I like the idea of crocheted coal! That had me laughing! Thank you all. You have made my day!:day:ty

No problem...I'm 48 and I still worry once in a while about whether I'm up to snuff...for me basically I am, for the rest of the world...maybe not, but so what...have you ever read the poem, "When I Grow Old, I'm Gonna Wear Purple?" (I think that's the title...)

My mother is a tres chic type of person, so I know I'm doing good when she compliments me on what I'm wearing...and making. Knickknac here crocheted me an awesome shawl that I wore tied around my waist, or around my shoulders and so on and my mom went absolutely nuts over it...so, if my mom thinks shawls are way cool and she's tres chic, you go girl...

I think you MIL just doesn't like shawls...simple as that...and that's okay. My sister doesn't like crochet or handmade anything...it's a preference...

Hang in there.

When I first started making a shawl for myself, my DH teased me about it. Told me I was turning into his little old lady and that he should get me a rocking chair. My reply to him was that I wanted a glider rocker with matching footstool and I'm still waiting on them. I love my purple shawl to death and wear it whenever I need something warm while I'm working, crocheting or reading. All the women in my building thought it was very beautiful and they range in age from 18 to 68.

I'm glad to hear you're not going to let your MIL's comments turn you away from something you're going to enjoy wearing.

Hugs and Cookies

Auntie K

I'm making my Grandmother the Seraphina Shawl and I love it so much I am planning on making one for myself (i'm 27)! It gets very cold here at my job, so a shawl will be great. Lots of ladies here wear them...and none of us is older than 40.

I just finished making a shawl for a Christmas present. I intend to make myself one later. Have you seen the incredible jewely they have out to pin shawls on? Hopefully, I will be able to find them again. I'm going to ask my niece to make some for the shawls I will be giving away next year. Do what makes you happy.

I have two made for Christmas gifts, and one more to go! And I know that at least two of them will be used. A friend of mine made one for her daughter, by request, for her homecoming dance. She actually used the same pattern that you are using for that one too.

So if teens are wearing them, how can you say that no one wears them anymore. Teenage girls are supposed to be the pickiest of all, aren't they?

I wear shawls almost everyday, and have seen other "fashionable" people wearing them 100, even one of my professors was wearing one (though she may have been going for the conservative old woman look to contrast with the class topic of the day)

If shawls are an old people thing, I have a collection to rival a nursing home and I'm not old. And my shawls are one of the few things I get fashion compliments about... even from a friend who has a degree in fashion.

Hmmmm MIL is not as in tune with fashion as she seems to think.

My 13 year old daughter LOVES and wears hers to school....that should tell you all you need to know LOL

I like the idea of making MIL shawl for christmas :clap

I just made two shawls for myself recently and love em, I wear them over my shoulders or around my hips, my 8th grade girls have complimented me on them many times, if it can pass muster with a bunch of fashion concious 14 yr olds I think they're in

:day I would like to thank all of you for your responses. I am overwhelmed at how many of you have written. MIL is an extremely outspoken person and for the most part "tres chic" with her clothing. I'm not young--just an insecure 50 year old who thought her own personal syle was pretty good but MIL and her polka dot shoes thought differently. :garden I like the idea of crocheted coal! That had me laughing! Thank you all. You have made my day!:day:ty

ok, maybe I am wrong since I thought polka dotted shoes went out w/ Lucille Ball time, but, hear goes.

"Your MIL has polka dotted shoes and she has the balls to criticize shawls? GEEZ WHIZ!!"

I admit I may be out of touch w/ fashion overall, and if you are someone who likes them then I apologize if I offend w/ any of my comments; HOWEVER, that just makes me shudder.

Sandy

heehee!! im 26, i jus finished crocheting a shawl! :D i'm very much a shawl person ad they are VERY much in fashion right now! i even keep a shawl at work for when the room gets too cold!

why would anyone wear a sweater/cardigan when you can wear a SHAWL?! :think

Archived