Am I out of it?

I hear you. I have heard that over and over. I believe if you like that make it. You're the one wearing it not them.

I have to tell you a story. In Grade 6, my son went to school on a very cold November morning, it snowed the night before. He wore the alligator mitts, that I had knit for him years before, to school. I was making him more of a grown up style, however they weren't finished, yet. I asked if he was okay wearing them, he said yes, event hough some of the kids like to tease him. I ended up not finishing those mitts as he came back with half the class wanting the mitts and wiht requests for dogs, kitties and bears in addition to the alligator mitts

So don't listen to those naysayers, do what you like and what you want.

Cora

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Boksie,

I think your MIL isn't keeping up with the times. I saw a huge increase in shawl making that started a few yrs ago & hasn't let up. I love making shawls & always get compliments when I wear them. I also make them for friends who truly appreciate them. I think especially when they are updated with a brooch or clip, they are wonderful to wear with dresses or jeans in the spring & summer when it's too hot to wear a real sweater or coat.

BTW, have you noticed how high the bids on eBay go for beautiful shawl patterns? I think she's the one who's behind the times....

Keep crocheting what you like to make. Obviously, you don't have to make shawls for your MIL

One of my to-do projects is a cardi-wrap from Stitch Diva Studios. They also have this shawl that was inspired by the one worn by Jessica Simpson. Pretty trendy, no?

Oh, I wish I could get up the energy to try hairpin lace again.... I just can't seen to get it. I love that shawl pattern & the Hourglass sweater pattern too.

Anyway, she normally has a very good heart just always thinks she knows almost everything and is very often frustrated with me for not agreeing with her.

That, my dear, is the classic German MIL! Welcome to the club :lol

And she's wrong, there are quite a few very trendy shawls and ponchos. Please tell her that you have been informed by a couple of ladies living in Germany that shawls and pashminas are very 'in' esp. as formal-wear over here. Then you can really annoy her by saying, "But then, maybe they live in a trendier part of Germany than Hannover!" Hee hee.

I saw many more shawls and scarves when living in Europe than I did in San Francisco. It's too hot here to wear them very often. I saw very thin elegant ones in Paris and Rome. And very thin, lacy ones in Spain. Perhaps those in the colder climes of North America wear similar ones to what I saw in Europe. I always enjoyed seeing all the different styles, and ways of wearing them.

I think "evening wrap" is a nice name, too.

I do shawls all the time - mostly for prayer shawls, but also for gifting (and my own personal use - lol). I have one I'm almost done with now out of sugar n cream in the dusty denim color...and my DD wants to swipe it. No way - not this one - it's for wearing with jeans and other denim goodies of my own.

I figure if my 30 year old (who is a fashionista and a singer/songwriter here in Chicago) is lusting after one of my shawls...I must be onto something.

mac+

I do shawls all the time - mostly for prayer shawls, but also for gifting (and my own personal use - lol). I have one I'm almost done with now out of sugar n cream in the dusty denim color...and my DD wants to swipe it. No way - not this one - it's for wearing with jeans and other denim goodies of my own.

I figure if my 30 year old (who is a fashionista and a singer/songwriter here in Chicago) is lusting after one of my shawls...I must be onto something.

mac+

Thank you! I finished the shawl some time ago and I wore it just about every evening last winter when the temperatures dropped! My chis really love to snuggle up with me when I'm wearing it too. I'm hoping to get some other projects done and make another one for myself to wear this winter. Maybe something a tad bit dressier than the pink camo.

I definitely appreciate the support and encouragement that everyone has been giving me and was totally surprised to see this topic revived.:ty

I am 42 and I have several shawls. It is not practical for me to wear them to work, but I do wear them other places, and love them. I would not let your MIL dissuade you at all. If YOU like it, MAKE and WEAR it and don't let anyone make you feel dumb or bad about it!!!!! :yes:hug

I live in Southern California and while you might not see many ladies wearing shawls outside, they're really popular in freezing buildings! I know a teacher, who I consider to be very fashionable, had one of every color you could think of, I'm sure.

I like to wear them too, during the evenings or early mornings.

Never once heard anyone tell Lyn nor me that we looked silly and should ditch the shawls.

Archived