Caution To All Crocheters:

Hi,

I am Maggie from TN and a caution to all crocheters who save their patterns on their computers under bookmarks. If you do not have your bookmarks saved on disc or at another location, please take my advice and do so now. At 1 A.M. Tuesday morning, November 27, 2007 I cut my computer off for the night. Around 3 P.M. today I turned my computer back on and to my horror over 80 percent of all my bookmarks were gone. This included free pattern sites as well as free patterns that I had saved under specific bookmarks such as Afghans, Baby Items, etc. I am now having to start all over again saving patterns that I had collected under bookmarks that it had taken me over a year to get. If any of you have any of the free pattern sites address and if you would not mind, could you send me some of the site address please. After all this happened my husband has found a program that will backup my bookmarks each night.

Sorry to take up so much of anyone's time but if I can help keep another person from crying or having a meltdown over loosing all their patterns I hope I can.

Maggie

That is why I have my bookmarks saved on the yahoo toolbar. I am sure they have very good back up systems :) And what I love about that is that I can access my bookmarks from any computer that accesses the internet.

crochetpatterncentral.com is a great place to start. That should keep you busy for a while :hook

THANK YOU. I HAD TOTALLY FORGOT THAT ONE. I APPRECIATE ALL THE HELP. BLESS YOU.

MAGGIE

That is why I have my bookmarks saved on the yahoo toolbar. I am sure they have very good back up systems :) And what I love about that is that I can access my bookmarks from any computer that accesses the internet.

crochetpatterncentral.com is a great place to start. That should keep you busy for a while :hook

That is why I have my bookmarks saved on the yahoo toolbar. I am sure they have very good back up systems :)

A large percentage of my Yahoo bookmarks disappeared several weeks ago. A few were still there, but most of them just vanished into thin air, including all the pattern sites I had bookmarked. :( I contacted Yahoo several times and got no response. When I mentioned it on another board I post at, I was advised by several people to use my browser's bookmarker instead and to make a back-up of it occasionally.

Simply click file on your toolbar, then import and export, click export, then export favorites, choose where you want to save them to (I use a zip disc), follow the instructions on the wizard and that's all there is to it. I do this once a week to be on the safe side and from now on will also be saving on the yahoo toolbar which I hadn't considered until it was mentioned above.

For some patterns, I copy and paste them into Word. This way, if that particular web page is deleted or the link doesn't work for whatever reason, I stil have the pattern saved. Also, if you save the web page to your computer, EVERYTHING (picture wise) on the page gets saved (including profile pics if it is a blog, buttons they my have, etc.)

Just thought I'd share...no one wants to lose a pattern :)

Angela

A large percentage of my Yahoo bookmarks disappeared several weeks ago. A few were still there, but most of them just vanished into thin air, including all the pattern sites I had bookmarked. :( I contacted Yahoo several times and got no response. When I mentioned it on another board I post at, I was advised by several people to use my browser's bookmarker instead and to make a back-up of it occasionally.

Whoa-Really? That stinks! Well now I am going to see if I can figure out how to back up my yahoo bookmarks. I like the convenience of having the same set of bookmarks at work that I do at home.

From Mozilla Firefox when I click file there is no export option - only import. Do you know how I would back up the bookmarks in this case?

When you click on bookmarks, go to the "organize bookmarks" section. Once there, go to file-->export. That should get you what you want.

Sara

The crochet poet one and a few others like that have been posted, are nothing more than online bookmark pages.

You can make your own for free here:

http://www.myhq.com/

You can set it to private if you want otherwise you may find your site posted here a few times. ;)

You can set it up however you want.

Del.icio.us is another bookmark manager, also for free and very popular:

http://del.icio.us/

Also if I'm not mistaken Ravelry (for those of you that are in) has a spot for favorites.

:)

PS I see Lil Nana posted while I was writing this up. ;)

Dragonfli your link doesn't work because it's barred from this board. I'm guessing copy right issues since I can't tell where you're trying to link to. You can read the rules here:

http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=39334

When you click on bookmarks, go to the "organize bookmarks" section. Once there, go to file-->export. That should get you what you want.

Sara

Thank you. I too have firefox and needed this info.

It didn't take very long... is that usual?

I just checked and they are all there. Wow! thank you.

Thank you. I too have firefox and needed this info.

It didn't take very long... is that usual?

Nope, it shouldn't take long at all. Bookmarks are basically very tiny files, each no more than a couple of kb. Even if you have several hundred bookmarks it would still be less than 1 Mb.

Sara

Nope, it shouldn't take long at all. Bookmarks are basically very tiny files, each no more than a couple of kb. Even if you have several hundred bookmarks it would still be less than 1 Mb.

Sara

so you know about me do you? :rofl

It really was quick and I named it by the date so I know what is what when I go there.

I really appreciate this help. this is an area where I am a real technopeasant.

Archived