Charity Ideas, My 5 year old nephew has cancer...

YaYa Yarnhood

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

how cute can these boys be???

Check out these two as well...too large to post here no time to shrink right now!

http://www.psf.homestead.com/brendan3.jpg

and

http://www.psf.homestead.com/brennieupandplaying.jpg

His mom said he even got up out of his chair to play with the newest toy that he got! Way to go whoever sent it!!!

I also have this email from her to share with you all with the latest info...

"the boys are having a blast with their new toys. brendan is up and around a little more today. he saw his nephrologist (kidney doc) yesterday and he is now concerned about his blood pressure being up so high. he started him on some medicine for that so keep your fingers crossed that it will come down soon. he also said he is starting to worry about his kidney and the possibility of it rejecting so we may have to get a biopsy on friday. we will see though. thank everyone on the website for me. bren gets so excited every day to see if he gets any mail. i really think that is the only thing keeping his spirits up at this point. and mine too. i just want him to feel beter, as we all do. have a nice day and i will talk to you soon.

Oh, I hope he doesn't have to have a kidney biopsy that sounds so painful :(

We are definitely on the right track with our boxes, keep them going folks, you all rule! Look how happy you're making him *tears*

Rock on, C'ville Comfort Warriors!

:hug

ro

Okay, ladies, I warn you to get the Kleenex ready.

When I originally posted that I had some PSF regulars who would surely want to know about Brendan, it was cause I knew that at least two of my buddies from previous projects would be in with both feet. Well, Nancy has already sent a box (you can see her frog in the new pictures of brendan!) and my other friend C. said that she would definitely be in, this is especially dear to her heart because she has two boys who are exactly Brendan and Ethan's ages.

She just sent me this email and I have to share it with you. She's not a crochetvill-r (yet!) but she is learning to crochet so I hope she'll be over here eventually!!!) You won't believe this, it's amazing.

C. wrote:

I just wanted to give you an update of things we are sending along. The boys are I went shopping and I totally left this trip up to them. I explained the best I could what was happening with little Brendan. The eyes of my 5 year old welled up as I explained how difficult and unfair his sickness was, and that Brendan needed lot of happy prizes to make him better. They were on board and we had a mission!

Lukas decided he wanted (needed) Brendan to have a special friend from Build-a-Bear. They decided on everything. I read the list of favorite things, even though I didn't need to. The similarities and the personalities of Brendan and his little brother so closely mimic my own two boys...it is haunting. I think that is why we have just been so taken by his little heart and his plight to get well. I just don't know what I would do, if faced with an illness like this if it was my children....my heart goes out to Brendan and his family. Many prayers that he will be well soon.

Anyway...Lukas decided Brendan needed the "World Wildlife Federation Lion" from Build-a-Bear. We were just there for Mason's birthday party and Lukas chose the Lion and wanted Brendan to have one too. When we got there we discovered the Lion had been discontinued and Lukas was heartbroken. Nothing he saw could replace his idea, and they have lots of cute animals to stuff! I tried every one of those animals, and he would not change his plan.

Lukas was quiet for a moment and then came up with another idea. He would give his Lion to Brendan for adoption! I didn't know where to go...I was in the middle of the store...weeping with joy and pride. This is one of those moments that a mother will remember and cherish forever! No worries, the Lion is really brand new, never played with. We've had him only a few months and he never left the top bunk. They allowed us to print another birth-adoption certificate for Brendan and his new Lion friend...re-named "Fenway Roary" and a new Red Sox (of course) outfit to dress him in. To make this extra special...my husband has a few mini baseball bats that Red Sox outfielder #18 - Johnny Damon signed for him and we included one with Roary and a soft baseball to bat around!

Mason picked out a yellow soccer ball for Brendan and the boys picked out "WonderBot" toy from the new movie "Robots". I didn't get it...but they both assured me Brendan and his little brother will love it!

I was also able to find that Pirate book that has lots of Pirate stuff little boys love!

Please let me know what else I can do, as I feel helpless and so far away.

Love,

C.

can you believe that? That sweet little boy gave up his lion because he felt that Brendan needed it more than he did. And the Build a Bear people even let him get a new 'adoption' certificate!!!

I made an extra lion brand suede tri-cornered pirate hat yesterday...I didn't know what I was gonna do with it. Now I know. A generous little boy named Lukas, who I also hear tell loves pirates, deserves a special hat from Cap'n Jack. That's for sure.

My heart is so full today, there is so much good out there for all the bad you hear every day. I am so proud to be part of crochetville!!!

:hug

Ro

p.s. I told C. that she's sure raising her boy right and that in about 20 years, we need to introduce the lad to my lovely daughter LOL. She's only a couple years his senior! And C's family are all red sox fans like we are...they could get married at Fenway! LOL

I knew I shouldn't have opened up this thread at work :cry C. definately has some special boys there. Very generous!

Well, I am excited for Brendan to receive my parcel!:gotmail so he can get all excited that something came for him!

Must go fix myself up now...

Aww man....*grabs kleenex* Some people truly have hearts of gold. Tell your friend she's raising them boys right and she's right to be so proud of 'em.

WOW!

I mean, WOW!

No, no, what I really wanted to say is WOW!

You are all just amazing to me! And that sweet little boy shopping with his mom... well, you know... :cry

Thank you all so much!

Praise God for your thoughtfulness and for the joy it is bringing to Brendan!!!!

:heart :heart :2hug :heart :heart

Ok, opening this thread this morning got the ol tear ducts moving.:cry Those boys are so sweet. I know that Brendan and Ethan will really like the things they chose.

What thoughtful and generous little guys. Obviously, the parents have done a great job with them.

Just letting you know, Brendan's box is officially on it's way. I found the cutest little hip pouches at WalMart the other day and added them to the box. One is with Spiderman on the front and the other with Batman. (One for each boy.) I thought they would be great for little toys when they have to wait at doctor's or hospitals. Anyways, they should receive the box by the weekend. Sorry I didn't take pictures of the hip pouches but if you get to WalMart, they were where the purses/wallets/accessories are. They were $1 each. Great price for something so cute.

Thank you so much Diamond!

I haven't heard from Brendan's mom since yesterday, she is understandably having a rough time right now. She said he was having a 'better' day yesterday but I think all that is going on is catching up to her, poor dear :(

I am about ready to start on another animal, one for Ethan and maybe another one for Brendan...I don't know yet what it's gonna be I have a ton of patterns I haven't tried yet for animals! I'll let you all know when my mystery animal is complete :)

To folks who may be reading this thread for the first time, it's not too late to send something to Brendan! No matter how small anything he gets in the mail really helps brighten the day not just for him but his family too. Please keep him in mind!!!

thank you again to everyone who has sent boxes...you're all heroes to me!:hug

hugs

Ro

I'm stuffing and sewing up the dolphin!

I want to do something for Ethan too so it'll still be a couple days before I mail it out.

I'm stuffing and sewing up the dolphin!

I want to do something for Ethan too so it'll still be a couple days before I mail it out.

I can't wait to see a pic of your dolphin, Kari!!! :clap

I have started a penguin for Brendan. It is looking pretty small, but maybe I can make a bigger one, too? A mama and a baby? I didn't see that anyone else was doing one, so.... and I'm not feeling all that great tonight, so I have some "time" to do it.:D

Tina aka "Mom w/a Motif"

I kept frogging the pig because it didn't come out right. I must have tried three different patterns. I think it was just the whole mess with my mom and my cluttered brain because I reread one of the patterns tonight and the lightbulb went off. :cheer I'm starting it and the little piggy already looks cool. Will finish this one, make one for Ethan and then ship em off with some monster stickers and two little aliens I crocheted last week. I'll ask for the address when I'm done.

An update:

Brendan had a follow up visit today and they determined that all of these problems have not affected his kidney so he will not need a biopsy! Hooray! Also he seems to be making improvements and they may lower his dose of steroids down. Another Hooray! I am sure that a lot of his progress is because his spirits have been lifted by all of your kindness. (The whole family has been uplifted for that matter.) We will try to keep you posted as much as possible. In the meantime, Thank you ALL!!!! Having a positive spirit can really feed the soul and do a lot for your health and I truely believe you have all helped to do that! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

Archived