2 for 1 - Warm Up America & the 'Ville!

Nght

Hiya Gang! I had pm'd Amy the other day to make sure this was ok cuz it's a lit'l 'different', but I haven't heard anything yet. ADMINS: DELETE IF NEEDED!

I joined this *group* that'd I'd gotten a thingy for in the mail, the Creative Home Arts Club. In the back of the mag. they send, there's a *contest* of sorts, called "Soften the World Simply Soft Sweepstakes"

Category #2 is "Stitch the Most Squares & Soften the World" and is for groups to enter. The rules are: submit any number of 7"x9" Crochet or knit squares made with Caron Simply Soft by May 1, 2008. The group that sumbits the most by 5-1-08, gets a check in the amount of $300 for their group. All squares are donated to Warm Up America by Caron.

So I was thinking... we qualify as a group, no? THE BEST group, but I may be partial :blush And I thought maybe we could make squares to send in, IF we should happen to have the most, the $$ of course would be for the 'Ville, for the Admin's to do as they see fit. Whether we submit the most or not, there will be plenty of blankies being put together!

Remember, there's a few months before the submissions are due, so it's not something that has to be done today.

Who's in:? :?

Note from admin:

Whee! We are doing this project. :cheer

For details and where to send squares, please see this thread.

I LOVE the idea, especially when we win all the proceeds can go to C'ville operations! :hook I also love the fact that they don't need the squares till next May. You would have to rent a moving van to get all our squares to the people putting on the contest!

Can't wait to read what the admins have to say. Count me in if they say yes!:yes

I'll do a few. :) However, 7 x 9 is a weird-sized square. For one thing, that's not a square; it's a rectangle. Second, it pretty much eliminates granny squares, or most other squares that we're used to doing. All square patterns that I know have four equal sizes. After all, a square is four equal sizes.

Did I say I'll do a few. :)

Hi Ladies

Thought I'd jump in here just to mention the WUA website -- it has patterns for the 7 x 9 sized squares-- they are done in rows, rather than rounds like granny squares and are very simple to make.

I am currently involved in making them for our local nursing homes to make lapghans. they are simple items to do while watching tv, etc .

I may just have to chip in here and see if I can get some done for this too, seeing that it's for the 'ville . :)

How funny, I was in Michael's on Sunday and there was a group putting together the warm up america squares. So I picked up a flyer about how to make them. What I really like about them is that they are completely mindless work. I'm just doing double crochets. When I'm watching t.v. in bed at night and my mind is starting to shut down. I can still crochet these squares (or rectangles) and not have to think. I also suffer from insomnia most nights and it helps to do these squares in the middle of the night. I have about 6 or 7 done right now. But none in simply soft yet. As soon as we here from the admins here I'll switch to simply soft and make you some.

• 1 month later...

Archived