Anne with an E - 15" doll

darski

Anne with an E – part 1. :pinterest

post-4896-135897795336_thumb.jpg

I think a lot of people share my love of Anne with an E. I designed this dress to celebrate her dress with Puff Sleeves. I do not have and haven’t seen a lovely brown colour YARN that would more properly reflect the story but the sleeves sure do. :wlol I am developing the other side of Anne… the before picture if you will …when she wore plain grey muslin with a pinny in front but that is for another day.

Notes: I made the slip/crinoline but I don’t think you really need it.

This dress is really heavy. After I got the skirt done it had dragged the neck so much that I had to use yarn to draw it back in. This also looks better in Real Life. … :sigh

I would recommend that you find something pretty to use as a brooch to go with this dress or create a pearl necklace if you can.

In the original story, Mrs. Lynne gave Anne a hair bow to go with the dress but Dora doesn’t have the hair for a bow so that is missing from the ensemble. I may add one later if I like how it looks.

This pattern requires med. WW yarn and 5.5 and 6.mm hooks

But on to the pattern…

Using Med. WW yarn and a 5.5 mm hook ch 33

Row 1: Hdc in 4, 3hdc in next, hdc in 6, 3hdc in next, hdc in 8, 3hdc in next, hdc in 6, 3hdc in next, hdc in 4. Ch 1 and turn.

Row 2-3: work 2 more rows of hdc but working 3hdc in each ‘corner’.

Row 4: hdc in 8 ch 3, skip to next ‘corner (skip the sleeve portion) hdc across front ch 3, skip sleeve portion and hdc across back.

Row5-6: hdc evenly around

Row 7: Find the (visual) Centre Front stitch and mark it. Work hdc to CF stitch, work (2 DC, ch 1, 2 DC) in CF stitch, continue to end with hdc.

Change to 6 mm hook.

Row 8: (dc in 3, 3 dc in next) X4, dc in next 3 stitches, V-st [dc, ch1, dc] in ch 1 sp, (dc in 3, 3 dc in next) X4, end with dc in 3. join and turn. Join all rounds from here on

Row 9-10: Ch 2 (or 3) work in dc around but work 3 dc in the middle dc of 3dc groups and working V-st in V-st. [work 2 dc over the join from the previous row on R9].

Row 11-15 work evenly but work V-st in V-st.

Row 16: work dc evenly across the back stitches of the dress and hdc across the front including the V-st in V-st.

Row 17: (dc in 3, 3 dc in next) but… you want to work up to the V-st as it works out for you and then you want to mirror the first half for the last half of the row.

Row 18: work around in DC but even out the front of the dress by working the stitches that lead up to and away from the CF. by working 2 hdc, sc, sc in ch1 of V-st, sc, 2hdc, continue in dc to end. Break off yarn and tidy ends.

PUFF Sleeves.

post-4896-135897795339_thumb.jpg

First row of sleeves: Attach yarn in the base of the armhole and work around by using sc in bottom, hdc, dc as you move up and work 2 TR into every stitch over sleeve cap. ( I ended up with 20 TR worked in 10 stitches over sleeve cap)

Row 2: work stitch in stitch(sc in sc hdc in hdc etc) from row 1. but work Tr decrease in Tr stitches.

Row 3: Work around in DC but work DC decreases over the TR decreases of the last row

Rows 4-7: work evenly in HDC

Row 8: You are going to form a peak cuff look so pick a stitch that would be good for this. Work evenly in hdc but work 3 hdc into your chosen hdc for peak..

Fixing up and trims.

I will likely give this dress to a little one so that is why I have larger buttons on the back. Soft Velcro might work if you have it instead.

I used a pink yarn to draw in the neckline when it got so large from the weight. I made it too tight really so be careful yourself. I may have to redo that as it is too tight for a little one to get the dress on easily as it is.

Add a brooch of some sort as mentioned.

Crinoline/slip

post-4896-135897795341_thumb.jpg

I started with an elastic waistband and worked 40 sc into this waistband but the dress dragged it down so I had to add straps anyway. It might be worth it to just begin with a chain that fits around the waist comfortably.

Anyway my pattern is…

Work 40 sc over elastic waistband.

Row 1: work evenly in dc

Row 2: work dc in 3, 2dc in next.

Row 3-5: work evenly in dc

Row 6: work dc n 3, 3dc in next around.

Row 7: work evenly around.

Work some chain straps to keep the slip in place under the dress.

Just co-incidentally, I have a cute little pink top that looks good over this white “skirt” :wlol

post-4896-135897795344_thumb.jpg

Copyright: Darlene Cutler - 2007

post-4896-135897795273_thumb.jpg

Very nice, as usual. I finally managed to get the Dora doll for my stepdaughter. She will get it for Christmas. I am right now sorting through all of your patterns. I can't decide what to make first. I thought I would make her a few outfits for christmas and then a few more on her birthday in February. I think the whole set is going to be a big hit with her. She is learning disabled. Even though she is 12, she is like a 3 yr old and usually doesn't like toys much. However, she does love Dora, so I am really hoping that this will be something that she will play with a lot. Thanks for all your patterns Darski!:hug

Very nice, as usual. I finally managed to get the Dora doll for my stepdaughter. She will get it for Christmas. I am right now sorting through all of your patterns. I can't decide what to make first. I thought I would make her a few outfits for christmas and then a few more on her birthday in February. I think the whole set is going to be a big hit with her. She is learning disabled. Even though she is 12, she is like a 3 yr old and usually doesn't like toys much. However, she does love Dora, so I am really hoping that this will be something that she will play with a lot. Thanks for all your patterns Darski!:hug

I'm speaking only for myself but... the doll clothes that my grandmother sewed for me really set my imagination going so I will pray that Dora's adventures will catch your Stepdaughter's "mind's eye" and engage her in this. I do believe that God has plans for these clothes that I may never know about.

:hug

and one for your dear SD :hug

Great pattern' date=' you do good work.

I really like how you ended up with the straps on the underskirt. I think it's a great idea and plan on using it--[b']if you don't mind.[/b]

Go right ahead.

I can do what I do because others before me came up with original methods of doing things.

We do stand on the shoulders of giants....

Beautiful! I might have to bookmark this one to make sometime! Don't really have a doll to wear it at the moment, but for this dress I might just go get one!

What size doll is Dora? I do have an Amer. Girl doll.

Darski, you are so amazing, as is your work. You so freely and willingly provide us with these gorgeous patterns. (Thanks so much.) I will definately be trying this one. Love it. And the colour is just fabulous.

Susan

Ditto... Ditto... Ditto... to everything that everyone has said. Tilly is too young to know who Anne of Green Gables is, but Aunty Di always loved her in all of her books which I keep returning to - and also Heidi. My two favourite books from childhood.

Definately another one to add to the collection.

Dianne

I love this. Anne of Green Gables is one of mine and my grandmother's favorite books. Saw the movies too but the book was the best. May have to make her this. She's lost most of her speaking ability and ability to crochet. I'm sure she'd love this

I love this. Anne of Green Gables is one of mine and my grandmother's favorite books. Saw the movies too but the book was the best. May have to make her this. She's lost most of her speaking ability and ability to crochet. I'm sure she'd love this

I'm sure that she would. It will bring a smile to her face.

Dianne

I am partial to this particular dress Darski, my first name, and what I go by at work is Anne with an "e". I am very fussy about people forgetting my "E" especially when I receive office correspondence.

Go Letter "E"!!!!!! :cheer

• 1 month later...

Archived