the way we learned to crochet

How did you learn to crochet?  

467 members have voted

1. 1. How did you learn to crochet?

• Worsted-weight acrylic and an H-hook, baby!
    • I learned with yarn that was thinner than worsted.
    • I used something chunky and a giant hook. Instant gratification!
    • I learned with nice yarn at the recommended hook size.
    • I used a nice yarn and tried/ was told to try different hook sizes.
    • I live on the wild side - I learned in thread!
    • Um. I made a fun fur potholder?
    • HA! Missed me completely. (Do tell - please explain.)

I think it was my mom who taught me to "daisy chain" or chain by hand. Might have been my dad though. Later my grandma taught me some of the basics with RH SS and an H, but I didn't really get into it till I got to college. Then it was the same skein my grandma used several years earlier the Crochet Stich Bible, and an F or H hook.

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I learned about 5 months ago with a medium size hook (g,h,i,j) don't remember and some sugar and cream cotton. I made some wash cloths to get comfortable and then made my first afghan within 3 weeks. :lol I'm so hooked :hook and love this new found craft!

my mom managed to teach me to do a chain when I was 10.. but I never got any further than that . I watched as she did afghans as a child and when I was a teen and early 20's she was addicted to lacy doilys . I watched her crochet for hours, slipped her a pattern or two of things I wanted. but never learned. she passed away in 2001 and last fall I found her hooks, and what was left of her stash and finally got hit by the bug.. found instructions for stitch basics made a couple of scarves in some wool, a freeform pair of slippers of ww. then went straight for the doily in one of her books Shooting stars, and have been hooked ever since now have made a few shawls 4 or 5 doilies, dishcloths, a lot of cute amigurumi critters in yarn and thread, lol.. I still swear its her hooks, there is no way I could have picked it up that fast.

Whelp! I am a bit of an "odd man out" on this one. Nobody took the time to show me. I am the product of being the victim of my own company. My dad was never around because he was a truck driver, my mom was never around because she well, she drank alot, and then there was two brothers. My two brothers had no interest in "girl stuff" so I was left to entertain myself. I have paid the price with my daughter because of missing out on the values of creative play but that's another story in and of itself. As a result I learned to be a problem solver and not ask for help and figured out how to crochet on my own. I "stole" a random hook and a ball of yarn that I thought my mother would miss the least and started monkeying around. By the time I was 7 I finally got it and made my very first crocheted item. A little doll dress with the same hook and ball of yarn that I kept ripping back out and reusing for several months. Some time later my mom found the doll sporting the dress I made and she asked me where I got the dress. I had to confess that I made it and thought my backside was going to be grass but astonishingly my mom was so impressed that she borrowed the doll with the dress on for about a week and brought it everywhere she went to tell all her cronies about how I tought myself to crochet! It was the first time my mom expressed in any way that she was proud of me and one of the very few times ever. I will never ever forget it. To this day it gives me the warm

fuzzies hehe.:manyheart

T-

Missed me! Actually, I was taught by my Great Grand Mother when I was 8, with WW and a "G" hook, but when I got back into it I picked up a doily book on sale and started on my first doily's. I taught myself how to read patterns, charts and work with thread all at once, was I nuts! :eek I still have the doily's and really need to get some pictures of them posted. :think That was about 15 years ago.

I do not remember a time when I was not crocheting. My first thing I can remember is a blanket I made my grandmother when I was about 10 years old. She had that blanket until she died two years ago.

• 1 month later...

Was sitting around my cousins loft one night and asked her what she did with her nice big basket of yarn - with that she dug out a small ball of wool, handed me a hook, grabbed a pattern for a granny square and a crochet-a-holic was born!:clap

I learned with all the other girls in my third-grade class. I'm not sure exactly what yarn we used, but it was probably just your basic worsted weight acrylic. I think the hook I used was either an F or a G.

I was given some yarnand hook from my mom on a car trip when I was about 9yr I think:thinking so I would keep from buggin my dad with ahhhh ahhh to the sound of the car as we went lol are we there yet . doing chain after chain lol

I wanted to crochet because I had seen so many beautiful doilies...this was when I was 16. So I taught myself. Then, because of school and other interests, I gave up for a while. Something always drew me back to yarn and hooks. So, last September, I found my hooks and started relearning. I learned from the many websites online and I got really better when I joined crochetville :) But yes, I did start in size 10 thread and a 1.5 mm hook...don't know where that doily is now...mmm.. :)

I've been crocheting so long, since I was quite young. I remember doing a finger crochet chain with sewing machine thread. When I was about 7, (I guess I had already learned how to crochet with a hook, but just don't remember when,) I crocheted a hat for my doll with a wooden lollipop stick. Yes in the "olden" days, lollipops had wooden sticks. I also used to knit with the flat bones from my mothers old girdles.

I really have no clue. I know that I sewed by the age of six and learned to crochet at around 10. I have no idea on what, with what, nor what I made. My grandma is the one who taught me though. She was a very crafty lady.

Sore

I put Worsted with an H hook, though I think I may have used a J more...lol A friend introduced my and my sister to it, but I mostly taught myself, though I got some help from my sister who ended up learning it first. ;)

I use to watch my great grandmother crochet, and my grandma had a home for mentally handicapped folks and one of them taught me how., my mother in law taught me how to use a pattern.

My grandmother taught me with some kind of variegated pastel yarn. I think it was ww and not baby yarn though. Hard to remember since I was only about 11. I made the world's longest chain because I didn't know how to do any other stitch for a while :lol. Later she taught me single and double stitch. Everything else I taught myself when I was pregnant and trying to make baby blankets. Grandmother also made beautiful quilts but didn't teach me to sew and quilt. At least she passed on crochet! :yay

I taught myself from a book and used one of my grandmother's old hooks. (She had long since passed.) For some reason, I chose very bumpy yarn that made it practically impossible for a newbie to count stitches. All of my baby afghans at that point were very wavy! LOL

Oh mine was painful, I never cared crocheting when I was younger, I knit, I was knitting really good especially dress, jackets, skirts etc.

Thread crochet is very common in my country, almost every women crochets.

When I married, my husband and I moved to Japan, my mother placed big ball of ecru size 30 thread and tiny steel hook in to my luggage. After a while I was bored and started to look for something to make me occupied, Yes, I remember the hook and thread, well, I could not read Japanese / English in crochet language and started to try figure out from pictures. It was complete fail. My first doily turned out hat, it was not flat, (I still have it :) ) than I tried filet, worked fine.

Now, I can make almost anything by looking close up pictures, if not, I can make it up something very similar.

I love diagrams, no language requirements !!!

Demet

I actually helped a neighbor finish her granny squares so that her mother would let her go to the movies. Then I just kept going,gave up for a little while and then basically taught myself. As an adult I also bought the DVD for the computer and that was a really big help as well.

My aunt taught me to crochet when I was around 8 yrs old with worsted weight yarn and an F hook. My aunt passed away a little over a year ago, but I still have the hook 35 years later! I will cherish it forever!

I learned to crochet with sport weight yarn, and made a nice potholder from it.

lol wow i think i learnt the hard way..

i started with 12ply and my finger knitting..

then i ventured to sc with my fingers..lol it was messy and huge..lol

then i got a chunky plastic crochet hook with a strawberry on the end of it..

so im a self taught chochetaholic :cheer

Archived