the way we learned to crochet

How did you learn to crochet?  

467 members have voted

1. 1. How did you learn to crochet?

• Worsted-weight acrylic and an H-hook, baby!
    • I learned with yarn that was thinner than worsted.
    • I used something chunky and a giant hook. Instant gratification!
    • I learned with nice yarn at the recommended hook size.
    • I used a nice yarn and tried/ was told to try different hook sizes.
    • I live on the wild side - I learned in thread!
    • Um. I made a fun fur potholder?
    • HA! Missed me completely. (Do tell - please explain.)

I've been thinking a lot lately about the way we are taught (and therefore, teach others) to crochet. Personally, I was taught with some Red Heart Super Saver and an H hook (the size recommended on the band), and that's what I used for a long, long time. How about you? How were you taught to crochet?

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My grandmother taught me how to make a chain out of thread and a steel hook when I was 5 yrs old. It sure didn't look like much, but it kept me out of her hair when she was baby sitting me :lol

My mother taught me how to crochet with yarn and an aluminum hook. My grandmother only crocheted with thread.

I voted for number 1, but honestly I don't remember the hook size and back in the day, they didn't always have the recommended hook size listed on the wrapper. I think I learned with Wintuk arcylic yarn...

Now with knitting, which I learned a year or two before hand, a neighbor kid sat me down on the sidewalk and showed me how to knit on two pencils and hair ribbons that were what would be today's chunky yarn...about a week or so later I had a pair of like #2 knitting needles and rather thin Red Heart varigated yarn...it didn't seem worsted weight anyway...seemed more like baby yarn...sport weight.

My grandmother taught me how to crochet though...

I learned with a size six hook and baby yarn and granny squares were my first learning experience therefore I learned to chain, double crochet and single crochet and join all at once. Plus my friend who taught me also insisted I learn to read the pattern at the same time. I'm very glad she taught me that way I haven't looked back since. :hook

My poor, long-suffering mother attempted to teach me how to knit, to no avail. I'm not sure how I learned to crochet--I think from a book or something, but I do remember acrylic yarn and an H hook <g>.

Years later, when I took it up again, I soon figured out that I'd been doing it all wrong. Thanks to on-line tutorials and better books, I've improved immensely! Also, I've finally learned to knit, which I'm sure my mother is thrilled about...

The first time I learned I was little, maybe 7 or 8? And my Gram taught me with what I'm guessing was acrylic (I don't remember) and a red, Boye G hook. I wish I still had that hook, just for memory's sake.

When I picked it up again about 20 years later, I re-taught myself using another G hook and some turquoise and speckled worsted weight acrylic. I don't remember the brand, but it became a scarf for my mother not following any pattern but my own of sc and dc rows in some combination.

I started with ww and a G doing coasters. Everything was in rounds until I tried a swatch for a baby afghan. I had played with sc's going down and back but it never came out right until read a pattern that said I needed that extra chain before turning. That made all the difference in the world....

My first project was ww yarn and a F hook. It was a bride doll. The second project(as I am learning) was a Paradise Bride, in thread.

My Mom tried to show me when I was a Teenager, but I could not get it. I got knitting, but not crocheting. I then picked it up 16 years ago, with a book of stitches, and haven't looked back since.:hook

Now I take yarn patterns and make them in thread:yes

I can't remember what yarn or hook I used, that was way too many years ago. Mom handed me a hook, yarn and said watch and do what I do.:hook

My first project was a potholder, and my second was a baby sweater, hat and booties. The baby that was made for still has it and has brought his 2 children home from the hospital in it. Make me feel good.:manyheart

My grandmother taught me how to make a chain out of thread and a steel hook when I was 5 yrs old. It sure didn't look like much, but it kept me out of her hair when she was baby sitting me :lol

My mother taught me how to crochet with yarn and an aluminum hook. My grandmother only crocheted with thread.

I was 8 or 9 years old when my Grandma taught me. It was a heavy thread and a size 5 steel hook.

Sheryl

Crocheting is part of our curriculum in 6th grade. We used cotton thread and steel hooks for out projects then, a piece for the center table using small doilies joined together and glass cozies. I totally forgot the pattern and regretting not focusing in my projects then. We weren't really in to using yarn because we don't really have good quality of yarns here and the hooks are limited into small steel hooks that are best for cotton threads only.:worried

My grandmother taught me so long ago...The brain cells that carried that info died off decades ago! It must have been worsted weight yarn of some sort because she made afghans and hats mostly. When I started back up last year after a +40 year absence from crocheting, I taught myself, using worsted weight acrylic and a 4mm hook. Now I use WW 100% cotton or Sports Weight Rayon (yummy!). 4mm is still my favorite hook size.

It was whatever hook Mom had on hand and yarn from her stash. My sister learned at the same time. Unfortunately she doesn't remember and only knits now. I'm trying to get her to try crochet again. If she wasn't halfway across the country, pregnant and busy with her last year of law school, I might be able to convert her.

Archived