A Poll for Jimbo - holding and squeezing a hook

How do you hold your hook and how painful is it?  

154 members have voted

1. 1. How do you hold your hook and how painful is it?

• Knife hold: tense: pain at times
    • Knife hold: tense: no pain
    • Knife hold: loose: pain at times
    • Knife hold: loose: no pain
    • Pencil hold: tense: pain at times
    • Pencil hold: tense: no pain
    • Pencil hold: loose: pain at times
    • Pencil hold: loose: no pain

Ok...I voted for knife hold--loose--no pain since this is the way I usually hold my hook, but I also, just for grins :D use the pencil hold--loose method with occasional twinges of pain. I figure it can't hurt to know how to do it both ways, just in case I want to teach my dgd's some day and I can use which ever way works best for them.:)

poor thing.....

we have too much heat here most of the time.....

i have a fren whose mother almost everyweekend goes up to the highlands where the temperature is nicely hovering at 20ºC-25ºC all the time!! down here day time is around 33ºC

The pain isn't in the hand that holds the hook but the hand that holds the WIP....really bothers me when I am assembling a ghan therefore the brace and Capsasin become my buddies

I use the knife hold and learned to loosen up. I stay in the H, I, J range most of the time. That is the most comfortable to me.

Real Deal

Hey I just gotto say that I love all those Bamboo hooks and fancy ones out there BUT I personally NEED a flat bit to actually grip it at.

So many new fancy ones do not have a flat bit, they are all round and I can't work with that....:eek

Mostly I don't get pain but I can go completely numb.....not good.

A touch of the Carpal Tunnel syndrome....

Steroid injections by the GP haven't worked or only lasted about 14 days...

Where can one get steel/aluminium hooks of a large size : above a K10.5 ?

In the UK the bigger ones are all plastic and I don't like that either....:no

I just started to get a pain in my hands. I don't hold the hook tight when I do my work, but I still wake to pain in my hands. If cold weather affects it then the pain I have when it 100 outside is going to kill me when it 40 out.

I just got some ergo hooks, but I'm not sure if I like them. I have to check out your site Jimbo.

BTW, I hold it like a knife.

Hey I just gotto say that I love all those Bamboo hooks and fancy ones out there BUT I personally NEED a flat bit to actually grip it at.

So many new fancy ones do not have a flat bit, they are all round and I can't work with that....:eek

Mostly I don't get pain but I can go completely numb.....not good.

A touch of the Carpal Tunnel syndrome....

Steroid injections by the GP haven't worked or only lasted about 14 days...

Where can one get steel/aluminium hooks of a large size : above a K10.5 ?

In the UK the bigger ones are all plastic and I don't like that either....:no

I did a search, the only metal hooks that i see bigger thank K are Boye brand.

I just started to get a pain in my hands. I don't hold the hook tight when I do my work, but I still wake to pain in my hands. If cold weather affects it then the pain I have when it 100 outside is going to kill me when it 40 out.

I just got some ergo hooks, but I'm not sure if I like them. I have to check out your site Jimbo.

BTW, I hold it like a knife.

Jimbo's creations are :drool . My b/f, who doesn't get the whole craft thing, was speechless when i showed him Jimbo's blog pics.

I use the 'Pencil' hold and at times my stitches are not loose, but they are not tight either!

My hand does get lots of pain when I am using a metal or alumiumn hook. So I do try and use a wooden hook. So needless to say, I steer clear of doilies for now =(

I hold my hook like a steak knife, I have never had pain in that hand, have had it in my other hand. Not because of crocheting but because of how I was sitting, now I prop my non-hook arm on a pillow and viola..no pain..!

I have found that Jimbo's hooks are the perfect fit to my hand, and the comfort they provide do not cause pain in my hands. I have used regular hooks from Bates and Boyle since I don't have all of Jimbo's sizes yet. When using these other hooks I will get a numbness in my right hand. So I know for me, Jimbo's are the best way to crochet.

I hold my hook like a steak knife, but pretty tight. I only get pain in my hook hand (lefty) at the end of the day if I was crocheting A LOT. However, I usually have pain in my right hand while working because I stitch tightly, so I keep mad tension on the working end of the yarn/thread. I've tried to loosen up, but then it looks sloppy to me. Of course, some of that pain may be because my right hand is also my mouse-clicking hand, and I'm on the computer way to much *shakes fist at blogs, free pattern sites, and message boards*.

:hook Amanda

I chose pencil hold, loose, with no pain on the poll. However, actually I use the pencil hold with the small steel hooks and the smallest alluminum hooks: b,c, d, e, and f. With the larger hooks I frequently use a knife hold with more tension as I find with bulky projects I can't get enough strength to pull the yarn through with a pencil hold. As for pain, I usually get pain in the shoulders or sometimes across the top of my chest if I am crocheting for too long. My hands tend to get numb and tingly more than painful.

Angie

Archived