The Appreciation

I gave a friend a scarf last winter. I had made a scarf out of LB Thick and Quick Wool-Ease in Wheat, thinking that i was making it for myself. I had finished the scarf on a break at work, saw a co-worker walk by looking stressed out. I looked back at 'my' scarf, noticed that i had just enough yarn to tie around the scarf, and decided right then the scarf is a present. I tied the yarn around the scarf, took it over to my co-worker and said "for you." She had a puzzled look on her face for a second and said "This is for me?" I said "yes. She said "Ooooooh, how pretty, thank you thank you thank you!" held it up, tried it on, petted it, then too it to the locker room and put it in her locker, and wore it home later that day lol.

You could tell she genuinely loved it, and appreciated the work that went into it. I know by working with her that she loves surprises, but she REALLY loves homemade things. I was glad i gave the scarf to her, i saw her wear it the other morning when it was 40 degrees outside, and you could tell she's worn it a lot.

I think i'll make her a matching hat :D

I loved your story. I think the best gifts are the ones that come as a surprise!!

On that note--I tease my Mom a lot because I spend all this time making her beautiful handmade gifts, and all she does is throw them on the floor and walk on them...Of course they are rugs...but it is fun to tease her. I know she loves them.

That was such a nice gesture on your part. I've done that same thing, where suddenly I could see someone really needed the item I was making. What makes it so-o-o-o much nicer, is that she really DOES appreciate it. That is so great! She was probably stunned that you gave her something you'd put so much work into.

Real Deal

I did a similar thing last week. I'd been making a baby afghan, in the hopes that crocheting it would help me fall pregnant (stupid theory I know)...anyway, just as I finished it, I read on another forum I'm a member of that a lady I talk to often had just had a difficult birth.

In that moment I looked at my afghan and thought that it could brighten her day, and keep her new baby girl warm...so I got her address and posted it off to her. I don't think she has it yet, but I can't wait to hear her reaction when she does get it.

Giving gifts is the most wonderful experience. I love doing it!

I qiuite often spontaneouly send out gifts to people I know, because I know how nice it is to be thought of.

Archived