Rug For My Son's Dorm Room

DreamsOfYarn

My DS went back to college last weekend. He called me the other day and said that when He comes home next weekend, he wants to go shopping with me. I asked him what he needed, and he said he needed a rug to put by the door so He could put his shoes on it and not track in dirt and whatever else gets on his shoes. He somehow lost the one he had last year.

I went through my stash, and found some RHSS Mexicana. He has seen that color before when we have gone yarn shopping, and he really likes the bold, bright colors. So I made him a rug with the Mexicana and Hobby Lobby's 'ILTY' in white. I used 1 skein of the Mexicana, and almost 1 skein of 'ILTY' It is 2 strands, worked in back loops to give it a little texture.

I liked the way it turned out, so I made a second one for here at home:lol

th_Dusty-Mexicana1.jpg

th_Dusty-Mexicana1a.jpg

clickable

Beautiful rug! To pretty to put dirty shoes on.....but you need to put dirty shoes somewhere and what a lovely rug to put them on. Great job! :cheer :cheer :cheer

I have made 5 rugs for our apartment since we moved in (in May) and he has never asked me to make him one. He did mention once that he was going to 'borrow' my RR rug, but it was still here when I came home from Florida. I guess he knew better than to take that one :lol:lol

He sounds like a neatnik like our oldest son. (I hope that won't offend you--I call our fifteen year old a 'neatnik' because he is a neat freak. It is meant affectionately-- and believe me, I love it! Our other two make up for his neatness! :blush ) Anyway, what a nice rug and a few dollars saved, too. (Unless you had to go out and buy new yarn, that is...)

Great job and thanks for sharing! :hook

Tina

He sounds like a neatnik like our oldest son. (I hope that won't offend you--I call our fifteen year old a 'neatnik' because he is a neat freak. It is meant affectionately-- and believe me, I love it! Our other two make up for his neatness! :blush ) Anyway, what a nice rug and a few dollars saved, too. (Unless you had to go out and buy new yarn, that is...)

Great job and thanks for sharing! :hook

Tina

That doesn't offend me at all. He is a neatnik (well, now that he is in a dorm, I can't say that he still is though :lol), but when he was living at home, he had a place for everything, and if you moved something, he knew it. My DD is the same way. I try to be like them, but I have a harder time with it since I have SO much yarn and not enough storage places for it all.

Yes, I did save some money making it myself. I had the yarn in my stash (when he saw it at the store and said he liked it, I went back without him and bought some to have on hand...just in case :D).

:lol Yay! I'm so glad it didn't offend you. (I was a neatnick myself when I was fifteen.... until I got to be about 17-18; then I was the total opposite... Now, I try to be, but with the two younger kids... it's a never-ending battle. :blush

That doesn't offend me at all. He is a neatnik (well, now that he is in a dorm, I can't say that he still is though :lol), but when he was living at home, he had a place for everything, and if you moved something, he knew it. My DD is the same way. I try to be like them, but I have a harder time with it since I have SO much yarn and not enough storage places for it all.

Yes, I did save some money making it myself. I had the yarn in my stash (when he saw it at the store and said he liked it, I went back without him and bought some to have on hand...just in case :D).

Thanks everyone for the kind words!!

What a great looking rug. Perfect for a boy's dorm room. Did you use several strands held together? Did you make up the pattern yourself?

Yes, I used 2 strands. I used 1 strand of Mexicana and 1 strand of 'I Love This Yarn'. All it is is DC worked in the back loops to give it a little texture.

Archived