Only Old Ladies Crochet

so I'm married to the same man for 20 years and together for 22, and he sees me crocheting, or knitting, and he calls it "sewing"......go figure. As for the cleaning the clutter, etc to sell a house, there are 2 shows in tv now, one on Bravo and the other on HGTV (I live in Jersey) both geared to cleaning out and sprucing up and "fluffing"....they will even rent furniture for empty houses to impress the buyers. Frankly, a person should be able to see past what is there and picture there own stuff in the place....I just don't get it but it does seem to be all the rage lately. P.S. back to my sewing lol

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i agree with part of the staging thing. i think too many knick knacks around can make a house look messy. besides, i don't like to dust all that stuff anyway! i think the crochet stuff would look good if there's not too much of it. i would think a house being picked up and neat would sell better. in my case, i'd need to have advance notice so this could happen!

When I sold my house in 1977 I had just put fresh paint in all rooms, the realtor told me we would have to paint everything white, my bedrooms were different colors. I told him NO, and I refused to put furniture in storage to make the house look bigger. We sold the house just as it was and the couple that bought it did not want to repaint anything. The realtor is working for you, don't let him or her tell you how to decorate your house and never hide the fact that you crochet, because people of all ages, crochet. My neice is 10 and she crochets, I wouldn't call her an old lady.

They need to understand that they are giving advice, not commands and it is up to you what you choose to go with. I know when we were house shopping and saw the house we now have, the one thing that impressed me was how warm and welcoming it was. That included a beautiful afghan on the back of their couch and many other hand made items. You don't want clutter everywhere, but if I saw a basket of yarn and hooks next to a comfy chair, I could so see myself living in that house! As for the old lady comment...my daughter (14) was sitting on the bench in front of our house with two younger girls teaching them to crochet. The woman next door told me she thought they looked like a bunch of grannies on that bench, why was someone her age crocheting? I was proud that she was not only crocheting, but passing on that skill to some of her friends! Some people are just ignorant! Good luck seeling your house!

The realtor and stager aren't being rude. They might be blunt and honest. It's not meant to hurt your feelings. Actually it has nothing to do with your feelings. Their job is to get your house sold. That's what they want and that's what you want.

They're trying to reach as many potential buyers as possible, not just the handful that might find your home cozy. Not all of them will buy.

Having stuff out or on cabinets might look cluttered to people, not charming. It might block something like the fireplace or a nice window.

Watch HGTV, especially Designed to Sell. You'll learn a few things.

The old lady comment probably was rude but you have to let things roll off your back sometimes.

My step dad told me when I was 18 I looked like a granny when I crocheted. I thought it was funny, not insulting.

Watch HGTV, especially Designed to Sell. You'll learn a few things.

The old lady comment probably was rude but you have to let things roll off your back sometimes.

My step dad told me when I was 18 I looked like a granny when I crocheted. I thought it was funny, not insulting.

Honestly I've been watching those flipping house shows alot & I have good taste.Your comment while maybe not meant to be rude kinda was :think A person can't just whine about things anymore ? I get it they are trying to help us sell I still think we could sell without such extreme measures. I'm glad you find things funny maybe you weren't having a rotten week when that was said to you ;) I let alot roll of my back yet some things rub me wrong Forgive me.

The whole "staging" thing might be a good idea, but for some reason it just rubs me the wrong way. From the way you're describing your experience with the stager, it seems that they have forgotten to take something very important into consideration - that just moving in and of itself is a very stressful thing to do, but when the move is dependent on first selling the home itself, it triples or quadruples that stress, and that you still have to live there and be comfortable while you are waiting for the house to sell.

People have been selling houses since people have been building houses, and it seems that these "stagers" have found a way to get themselves involved so that they get a slice of the home seller's proverbial pie. They found a gimmick, a way to make money without actually having to work for it. They tell you what to put where, the house sells (which would have sold anyway unless it was falling down around itself), and they get a share of the profit. How on earth were homes sold before stagers and flippers and whoever else came along? If someone is buying a home that hasn't JUST been built, chances are great that SOMEONE is going to be living in it. If potential buyers are SO devoid of imagination that they cannot walk into a house, look at the general layout of the place and picture their own belongings in that house, then I have to wonder how they manage to dress themselves in the morning. I can see someone advising a seller to have their home as clean as is humanly possible, that's just common sense, but to tell them what belongings to put where, that just really grates on me.

It's difficult enough on people who are planning a move without them being basically harassed by people masquerading as "helpful" while trying to sell their house. I feel badly for you that you're going through this.

Sorry for the rant. I just have a huge problem with people who think they know what's best for everyone else. Has our society become that regimented that we have to hide our individuality lest someone form an opinion of us that someone ELSE doesn't want them to form? It's all way too "Big Brother" for me, not to mention rude on the part of those doing the "advising".

Elle

When I get around to eventually buying a house, I believe I'd rather look through a house that isn't staged. I think the family selling the house would be more comfortable and willing to talk about the house if they were surrounded by their own memories.

Sorry you got called an old lady.

Hugs and Cookies

Auntie K

Thanks for letting me vent occasionally one needs to do that. We took alot of her advice but a few things I think she was completely wrong about. Without my teapots the kitchen looks boring. I think the deal is they didn't consider that we still live here & want to remain slightly comfortable. I've bought houses before & never had to see a staged house to win me over. The buyers aren't buying my stuff they're buying the house that's what they need to be looking at.The realtor is coming over this morning to take pics & I know she'll say something about who knows what & I just don't care we've worked our hineys off already getting it ready.

I didn't get hurt be her old lady comment I just thought she was stereotyping crocheters I'm suprised she didn't tell us to move the Harley out of the garage & store it somewhere. The buyers might think we're bikers :eek

Sorry she was rude - might want to mention to the agent. There's still a stereotype out there of crochet being all doilies and bed dolls.

I think part of staging is removing personal items so the potential buyers can picture themselves living there. When we were house hunting, my husband and I visited one house that screamed baby girls in every room. (The only "baby" in our home has a top speed of 170MPH.) From the moment we stepped into that house, we felt out of place. We ruled it out anyway because of the layout.

I would remove doilies because they might look a little fussy (sorry, I could not think of a better word), but leave afghans, maybe folded up neatly and left on a couch or something. I've never sold a house, and won't even need to buy a house for a really long time, so that's just my opinion. I wonder what would happen if someone staged our house---we have around 20-23 bookcases all over, not to mention stacks of books, boxes of books...and then there's the yarn, of course.

I watch those staging shows like "Sell this house" but, honestly, some of the things they do to sell a house! Do people really buy a house based on the seller's furniture? I would care that everything looked neat and uncluttered but clean and fresh. New paint, clean carpet, nothing needing repaired, makes me think the house has been cared for. I don't care how they decorated-I can still see what I would do with it!

What really cracked me up was she said to leave the baskets I had out but take everything out of them :think The look stupid empty so I put some decorating mags in them :lol I thought they'd look nice with some nice yarn in them too :)

I wonder what would happen if someone staged our house---we have around 20-23 bookcases all over, not to mention stacks of books, boxes of books...and then there's the yarn, of course.

I'd buy your house! I don't have enough room for books so I had to get rid of them... and need room for more yarn... :lol

My friend and her husband were looking for a house (have been for a while, I wonder if they're really serious:think ), but they are a couple who have a hard time seeing how they can redo a house. Either new paint or new carpet or whatnot. And I think there are a lot of people like that. We aren't, I don't think, because we crochet and can see something beautiful that can come from a string of yarn (that's why we have a stash). I've learned that too from a lady at my work who is selling her jewelry big time because people can't see some beads in a bag and "see" a necklace out of it.

So having a fairly nuetural house is what sells to the majority of people.

So do what you feel is right for the house and you. Think about what she said, but do what you feel is right.

Debbi

I am an old lady(66) & have been sewing since I was 5, crocheting & knitting since the age of 16. When someone says that to you say back "thanks for the compliment, all the old ladies I know are pretty nice people". That lets them know they have offended you & yet you're being gracious about it. As far as having your crocheted items out, I have anti-macassars (crocheted ones) on my chairs & sofas. I have doilies out. I have afghans on the foot of my beds & a knitted lace tablecloth. When I'm ready to sell, they will still be there. I sold a home in 2000 & got what I asked .... If I would include the crocheted items ...which I did. People generally do like this kind of stuff so don't sweat it. Good Luck

I get that it is an inconvenience to sell your home and the agent or decorator shouldn't have said that the crocheted items make it look like an old lady lives there and perhaps could have used a lighter touch and said, "What one person finds cozy others might not help a potential buyer visualize their things in your home." I really don't think that anyone is questioning your taste, the agent/decorator's taste, etc. :hug

My home has a very English Victorian look. Would that appeal to many potential buyers, especially younger buyers? Probably not. :no Just like when an agent recommends painting walls to a neutral color; it helps people visualize better and honestly, that is what sells houses. We just bought our home last September and the selling point for me was when I could walk in and visualize myself working in the kitchen, the garden, sitting on the porch, relaxing in the studio/craft room upstairs, etc. :c9

Try not to take it personally. The fact that you were having a bad week probably plays into the averse reaction to the comment a bit, however, there is no need to flame here. We are here to listen and vent, but be aware that human nature requires that sometimes people will play devil's advocate :devil and present the opposing viewpoint. It's a part of critical thinking - kind of like giving a speech or selling an item; one must consider the audience or market. :ghug

As far as the TV and comfort items are concerned, stand your ground and remind them that you are still living in the house and it needs to remain functional.

Sorry I didn't mean to ramble.

I basically just wanted to gripe to people I thought would understand kind of like girlfriends. I get what the decorator was doing I mean I'm not stupid I totally get it ;)

I wasn't flaming, maybe I was being flamed maybe? Guess it's all in the way we present our comments ;) I just don't see the need for someone to tell me how they should react to things. I'm a grown woman I am who I am ;) Now I'm off to crochet the house is done & the realtor was happy with what was done so we're all happy :)

I don't think anyone was telling you how you should react or flaming you but

only presenting a different point of view. No one is implying that you're acting childrish either.

In the future, you may want to preface your venting by saying that you don't want advice, you just want to vent. That way you won't need to be offended by viewpoints different than your own. At least that's what I do when I just want someone to listen and commisserate and not offer solutions.

At any rate, glad everyone's happy.

People who make those blanket statements really bug me. How does she know that perhaps someone might come to look at your house who LOVES to crochet?

She doesn't. However she does know that without extra things, more people will be inclined to buy the house.

That's her job. The more people she can get interested, the better for her and the seller.

I basically just wanted to gripe to people I thought would understand kind of like girlfriends. I get what the decorator was doing I mean I'm not stupid I totally get it

I wasn't flaming, maybe I was being flamed maybe? Guess it's all in the way we present our comments I just don't see the need for someone to tell me how they should react to things.

I did not flame. Nor did I think you are stupid. What I did was try to help you remember her point of view and not take it personally. Just like I would for any of my girlfriends.

I don't think anyone was telling you how you should react or flaming you but only presenting a different point of view. No one is implying that you're acting childrish either.

Exactly.

I was in the worst mood last week & pmsing on top of it I felt like smacking her :angry

:rofl You have more restraint than I do! :hug

Archived