^^^^Smoke Signals ^^^^^^^

JulieKay

I agree too that you could use pretty much any colors and end up with very nice blanket, bag, jacket, whatever. I'm actually thinking that a single color version would make a nice baby blanket.

What would the size of the starting chain have to be for a baby blanket?

I would weave in the ends, though - don't care for fringe for a baby ghan.

• Replies 976
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello, hello.......:D

Just a quick note again because everyone but me is on the puter today. I stole it from Jaden for a second but he is yakking at me because i've been on too long. He even tried to hide my bag of yarn to get me off (of course with a little help from Dad). :lol I'm going to go work on my ghan & i'll be back later when I can get on. Don't have too much fun without me. :manyheart

After much consideration, I have finally dec'd what colors from the stash will be goinf into this 'ghan.

They are:

light sage, lace, country rose, and light country blue

smokecalcolors.jpg

The photo doesn't do the colors justice, though...the blue is more of a slate color and the rose isn't quite that red.....

What would the size of the starting chain have to be for a baby blanket?

I would weave in the ends, though - don't care for fringe for a baby ghan.

Not sure til I try it, but with WW yarn (like Lion Brand Pound of Love) and an H or I hook maybe 125 for the starting chain. Not sure how many you would need with sport weight yarn. If I understand it right though, you just need to start with a multiple of 20 +5.

I agree about the fringe - wouldn't want that on a baby blanket.

Ugh! Did somebody say POUND OF LOVE? If you haven't used it before, BEWARE.... it splits like the oregon trail at the mountain pass.... something fierce!

(OK, I made that up, hope it works)

Barbara - I LOVE THAT COLOR SCHEME!!! Very striking...

Does the designer of this pattern know there is a CAL here with it? She might enjoy peeping in and seeing what-all we're coming up with. Miss Julie - I nominate you (the eternal gabber) to go and email the little lady and let her know...

Partners I been hidin’ cause of that imposterin’ Calamity Jane. I had to rustle up some sheep ta sheer for more material I’m a needin for my saddle blanket. Wow! That thar sheep herder was tuff to git away from. I’m plum tuckered from rustlin’ sheerin’ and dyin’ that thar wool. Tintypes to follar come sun up.

C.J.

AKA

Calamity Jane

AKA

Peggy85225

AKA JANE

I ain't been in these parts in a coons age.

Been on the run and hidin' out from all those sherrifs...

Still in hiding , but been peeking in on ya all, under the cover of darkness. .. while everyone's :sleep ..including the law !

As far as my name.. Well.. just call me Sal.:cowgirl

That's close enough for 'hiding out purposes'. Ain't taking no chances.. they keep talkin' 'bout the 'sylem ya know. I've neva liked it there...:spin

I made it out here to the end of the trail.. till the ocen stopped me.. got me a nice lil cabin for now..and been puttin' in wood ..hoping to stay the winter. A good big ol' blanket is in order too.

And this baby is gonna be a biggun.. ch285 :eek

Gotta good start so far ..figurd ya might like to see.

finally.jpg

Thems supplies brought by this spring the last time a trader came by...it's harvest red, cream, teal, brown, and a 70's gold... I just added a couple extra rows between the dimonds.. and am keepin' the same db.c thru that area. Makes a line between dimonds !

Well...I'm off.. long as none a' you cowpokes arn't lookin for my reward $$.. I'll try to stop back ..no promices...:fruitcake

Sal thats looking great, I love the colors you have picked.

I restarted mine last night. With only 65 stitches its not going to take long. Im making a tote bag to hold all my stuff and Im going to keep the frills down the side, which should look interesting.

Judy

I wish I remembered what the starting chain was for Cam's baby afghan. This was the very first thing I made him when they first told me he was on the way -- I think I had it done about 6 months before he was born ! :lol

I used Caron SS for it and it still looks pretty. His mom is sving it for him to give him when he grows up .

I think if you'd just count out when you make your chain, like you were doing the first "setting" row( I don't know what else to call it ,but the row where you set the dc's down to start the pattern -

Anyhow, count your 2, then one dc, then 19 sc, 1 dc across, until you think it's wide enough, then finish with the last dc and 2sc .

I dont know if that makes a lick of sense but that's they way I figured it I think .

Becky -love the colors ! It'll be very pretty .

Welcome Duke ! Long time ,no see. Where ya been keepin yourself ?

Barbara (Slim ) -I like Pound of love , it's very nice and soft . It should make a real soft baby ghan .

As for the yarns, we all have our different preferences .I have used several ( not all the fancy big money ones, but all the ones I can find and afford ) and to me they all have their pluses and minuses.

Red Heart is sturdy , but sometimes thick and scratchy and it is sometimes hard to work with it in lots of colors, because some colors are thicker yarn than others,which makes for kind of an uneven feeling project .

Simply Soft is really soft, but I always have a problem with it splitting and I need to use a G hook with it ,because it's so much thinner than other ww yarn .

So, we all have our likes and dislikes regarding yarn .

Another is Caron Pounders -- now they are nice big sturdy thick yarn, but the yarn has a different feel to it, so it's really what each person likes .

Not sure til I try it, but with WW yarn (like Lion Brand Pound of Love) and an H or I hook maybe 125 for the starting chain. Not sure how many you would need with sport weight yarn. If I understand it right though, you just need to start with a multiple of 20 +5.

I agree about the fringe - wouldn't want that on a baby blanket.

Thanks, Barbara!:hug

Peggy- wow, this might get a little confusing , trying to figure out what to call you. You have more aliases than Ma Barker and all her boys put together .

Sal- I like them colors, definitely look Western to me ! Keep up the good work .

Krystal- well, if this lady was the originator of the pattern, I would certainly have emailed her about this, but hers is just among several others I found online, all the exact same thing. I just put hers on since it has the closest-up photo .

Ya'll have a good one today. I gotta hit the trail this mornin then git to home so I can get more accomplished on one, 2 or all 3 of my projects. Photo Friday is fast approaching !

Thanks to you, too, Jules.... That's the one area I always have trouble with: adjusting/changing existing patterns.

I'm thinking this would be a nice baby ghan for those charities and also a way to use my scraps for a bigger blanket...we'll see. My Christmas/other promised projects are lined up right now, so I have an incentive to boogy...

Yea I know what you mean Judy.

I cannot change a pattern in any way or it throws it off totally. I am lousy at it. But this one, I think that's the way I did it, just counted out as I was doing the chain, so it'd end up even on both sides with the last dc ,then 2 sc's on each end .

Good Morning.

I had to cut :eek my ghan up. No worries I knew what I was doing. I started with the big chain & it was taking way too long to get across so I measured it. It was about a foot longer then it said, it covered the whole length of my couch. Because I didn't want to make a couch cover I shortened it to the 205 chain. Thankfully because of the one by one rows I was about to snip, snip and save my progress. :D I made it to row 5 and am hoping now that it's a bit shorter that it'll move along faster. I would've loved to have the big one but I just didn't think i'de stick it out. :no

Sal (plaidkitty)~That is gorgeous, love the colors. :clap

Jane (Peggy)~Sorry, if you wanna draw our guns & have a shoot out I reckon I could do that. :D

Have a good one. :hook

Sal - Great picture - really like your colors - and ch 285 - holy moly, that is gonna be a bigun! I actually reduced my starting ch to 185.

Doesn't look like I'll get it finished in time for DH's b-day after all - but it was worth a try - I've gotten a lot more done on it (69 rows so far) than I normally would in 4 days. It's still gonna be his b-day present - it'll just be a little late. I figure he won't mind TOO much since it's still blistering hot here and he won't actually need to use it for a couple months at least.

-Slim

Yes, Wendy...pretty please on writing down what you're doing with the pattern!

...off to get my butt in gear!! Errands, etc...in what feels like 110% humidity!!

I HATE SUMMER....

Wendy...I'll sleep on you sofa....;)

Well to make the bag just make 2 alike

65 stitches

keep the frills as part of the cowboy bag theme.

I may line it yet not sure.

Going to crochet one little square of the same pattern and put it inside for a pocket.

It will have handles of course not sure if just the one color or all four.

and to close it I might just use the velcro tape.

Not really hard to do. You can put more stitches on if you want a bigger bag. Just remembering if you make it bigger allow for the pattern stitches. I made that mistake first time round.

Good morning all! I would like the pattern for a purse also!I can barely follow a pattern,so there is no way I can alter one. My blanket is coming out,third try and all.Friday I will try to get a photo.

so hot and humid here-have to do all my chores in the morning,before I feel like I am going to melt.

Dalee

Archived