Attention Cat Lovers

I have a friend for whom I would like to make an afghan for for Christmas. I am planning on making as many gifts as possible so the easier/quicker the better. Her fave colors are black and pink so those are the colors that I would like to use.

Here are a few links for cat afghans that I have found. Which one do you think would be the best and if you have suggestions by all means plz let me know.

http://www.bevscountrycottage.com/kitsinrow.html (Any idea on how to make this one bigger for say a twin to full size-this is the one that I am leaning towards.)

http://www.******/crochet/cudafg.html (Similar to the one above)

http://www.tamemymind.com/artscrafts/pages/patternbooks-crochet-cats.php Scroll down and it is the one called Cat Afghan by Sandra Miller Maxfield (It looks like a bunch of different colored cats together.)

Thanks in advance.

What about the adorable cat afghan that someone here posted a while back? I'm sorry I don't remember who it was, but it was made of squares with black cats on them and had yarn sewed on so it looked like the cats were chasing it. Sooo cute.

Midds, someone (I can't remember her name, sorry!) made that third option, the Sandra Miller afghan at free patterns, last year and posted photos here. It looked fantastic! She chose different colors for her dad (I think he was the recipient) and it was incredible. If you searched for it, you could find it. A lot of ends to weave in, but looked great. I've been meaning to try that one on Bev's website, too. Whichever you try, post photos, please! Patty

I just made them up as I went. the cats heads are circles, ears are triangles and body's are egg shaped for the most part. I used silk ribbon for collars and to hide the connection between the head and body. The hardest was the orange cat as it was a side view and I had to crochet the legs with the body. I planned on doing more but ran out of time as it was a last minute Christmas gift. It took about a week and a half if I remember correctly. Now my brother wants a ghan with theme behind it. Still haven't figured out what to do for him, But I will before Christmas.

Wow! That cat afghan with the yarn is gorgeous. I will have to keep that one in mind too. I saw the AA pattern for today but that is just way to many squares to make and put together. I still have a granny square afghan that is in pcs. Too bad the squares just can't put themselves together.

Love all the suggestions and ideas. Any more out there? All are welcome.

Thank you to everyone!

I was thinking of the cat afghan at AA, but doing just the cat in the window (maybe white squares inside the window) then just a solid granny square around it as the boarder, so just work the granny square after the cat squares are put togher... a boarder until it's the size I want for an afghan. Then there wouldn't be that many squares. (did that make sense)

That's what made me come here, I saw that afghan on AA and thought my aunt might like a cat afghan, she likes cats (doesn't have one now) and I gave her a cat doily once...

Debbi

I made the afghan on Bev's site for my son's twin bed . It fits perfectly for a twin bed so if that is the size you want , you can just follow the pattern. I did add a few rows to make it longer , since his bed is an extra long twin. It was a very easy pattern and works up quickly.

Wendyb532:)

Here is another link to the last one on your first post, unless I missed it it's no longer on freepatterns.com

http://www.truelovetreasures.com/PDFs/Cats_Afghan.pdf

You are right that is the afghan that I was referring to. I happen to have that one saved on my computer but b/c of copyright couldn't post but yes that is the other one that I was thinking of and you are right, no longer on freepatterns.com. Thanks so much for posting another link for it in case someone is interested!

I also made the "kittens in a row" afghan and it works up very fast and is addicting! You just want to keep adding row upon row and before you know it, the afghan is done....and I have a short attention span! I made mine longer, and probably wider, by adding more rows and more stitches in my base chain.

Although I didn't look at the instructions for the 1st 2 patterns, they both look the same at first glance. However the other one with cat's faces looks a little more unique. I prefer this one rather than the kittens (paws) in a row.

I've made the kits in a row afghan, it was fast to make, and I made it bigger by just adding on rows. One of the fastest and easiest afghans I've made. I did it in the black and white. But black with a pale pink should be cute.

Have yo ever thought of doing a graphed pattern? There are some really neat cats ones out there. :hook

I actually did think of that but they take sooo long sometimes and I am trying really hard to make all of the Christmas presents this year to save $$$. Thanks so much for the suggestion.

The cats in the blocks with the string linking them together is really stunning!!! :clap I was thinking you could play with the blocks and make some look like bricks, and some like a fence with the mog lying on top in the sun.

The other option - if you do run out of time - is to purchase some polar fleece printed with cats (theres a gorgeous one I saw the other day with siamese and tabbies playing) and run several bands of edging onto it. Maybe clusters and picots to look like paw prints?

I know its not perfect :( but its a quick way to satisfy the cat theme if you do find yourself deadly short on time.:eek

Manda

Archived