Flower Bouquet doily

MimiFL

I finally finished this thing earlier this week. It is the famous "flower bouquet" doily. All the flowers are crocheted individually then joined in 'as-you-go'. The first few joins were tough (I thought) but then I got used to joining and it got a little easier. The biggest issue was the thread ends to weave in. I didn't weave them in at first and I ended up with a big mess of thread, to the point where I couldn't see what I was doing! I spent a day weaving everything in, then started to weave in ends a little at a time, as I went, and it helped a lot. I blocked this thing 3 times, I think, so I could see where I stood and where to join the next flower.

I missed one of the first joins on the forget-me-nots, and joined to the wrong petal, so I adapted a bit as I went and got back on track after a while, then of course at the end, I didn't have that free petal anymore, so adapted there too, and replaced some pansies with forget-me-nots. I think it worked out pretty well. Oh, and I changed the last row of the border because I didn't like the original. Took me a while to figure out what I wanted to do, but I'm happy with this edging.

I was going to buy some more colors, but ended up only buying the shaded purples. For the rest, I used what I had on hand. I decided to use cream and bridal blue for some forget-me-nots, and gold and orchid pink for the others; shaded pinks and shaded purples for the pansies; gold, white and myrtle green for the daisies. The colors were Aunt Lydia's (and maybe some Royale). White was America's Best cotton thread.

Hope you like it. It's for sale on eBay. :rose

flower_bouquet_8922.jpg

flower_bouquet_8931.jpgflower_bouquet_8934.jpg

flower_bouquet_8932.jpgflower_bouquet_8928.jpgflower_bouquet_8929.jpgflower_bouquet_8933.jpg

(sorry about the number of pics - haven't updated my site yet, so I'm posting them all here)

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

please don't apologize for "all the pics" - this is beautiful!

I'm "thread challenged" (my hands cramp up) so I especially admire threadie talent.

Mimi in Florida,

This has always been one of my favorite doilies, and I really love your version of it too. I like your color and flower choices too -- your improvisions are perfect in every way.

Congratulations on a beautiful masterpiece !! :cheer:clap:cheer

Archived