Tribute to Rose

My friend Rose, age 99, creator of dozens of beautiful crocheted thread altar cloths for her church, passed away this week. Rose was part of my crochet group, and, even though she was almost twice my age, I always considered her a peer. She was always smiling, always had a good attitude about everything, always made us laugh. She had all her faculties -- sharp as a tack, as they say, and she had more energy than the rest of us put together. Last year, at 98, she was still in a weekly bowling league (!) and, last summer, she ripped off the linoleum from her kitchen floor and installed new tile -- by herself! (Her children asked her not to, but they left her alone for one day, and she took advantage of it!)

She was diagnosed with cancer last fall but seemed to have had almost a complete recovery by about January. She didn't go back to bowling, and there were no more rehab projects, but she turned 99 and looked forward to turning 100 this December. But it was not to be: Her cancer returned a couple of months ago, and this time, with a vengeance. A couple of weeks ago, Rose decided it was time for her to go, and she asked us all to pray for her, which we did, and she died peacefully at home last week. I went to her wake today. She looked just beautiful. (As per Rose's instructions, she was buried with a sweater her daughter had just crocheted for her.)

Rose crocheted beautiful altar cloths, tablecloths and the like for church, and afghans and things for her family. When her cancer seemingly went into remission earlier this year, she started an afghan that required something like 600 tiny motifs. She made some joke about how she was an optimistic person, but, honestly, she finished them and had started sewing them together when the cancer returned. Her daughter is finishing it for her now.

Along the way, we all meet people who inspire us to be better people. Rose was just such an inspiration for me. Her beautiful crocheted things will be admired at her church for generations. Rest in peace, Rose.

Carol

She sounds like she was an angel sent from God. I am so sorry to hear of her passing away, but it sounds like she lived a very full life. God bless you and her family in this time of sorrow.

What a wonderful, full life she had. I guess Heaven needs someone to work on the alter cloths up above, after all, they must be perfect; and it sounds like she's the one to fill the bill. When she isn't organizing a bowling team or doing renovations, lol. I know you'll miss her, but just think of her joy at being at Home at last.

It is so nice to hear a good story, so often the good go unnoticed...Rose sounds like she was a lovely lady...may she rest in peace..thanks for sharing her with us!

Such a beautiful story. She sounds like a great person to have known.

I am sure it will not be long, before she is a guardian angel to watch over someone special.:hook

Thank you all for your kind comments about Rose. I will miss her, but at the same time, I feel so blessed to have known her and have her as an example of how to live, and, if you don't mind my saying so, how to die. Somehow, her death was not devastating to me, and it's because she lived a long, happy, full life, gave of herself to everyone, and left when she was ready to go.

I would like to think she's my guardian angel, but, fact is, she was mother to 8 kids, so I think she has her hands full.

Carol

Archived