One-Color Freeform Baby Blanket

yarnmom

After taking a class by Bonnie Pierce and seeing the gorgeous baby blanket she made, I was inspired to try to create my own freeform baby blanket. As hers was, it's all in one color, so the freeform challenge is to create uniqueness through the variety of crochet and knit stiches rather than different yarn colors and textures. I've been working on it bit by bit over the past few weeks, and am only about halfway finished. I'm still deciding on the final placement of pieces and want to make it much larger, but I thought I'd post the WIP to see if any of you have any comments or suggestions!

pinkfreeform.jpg

Wow I like it. I don't know what else to tell you. I guess on the person receiving it, if they want more of a regular shape one, you may want to add shapes to make it more rectangle or square, but I think it looks great so far. And I am somewhat conventional, but I like things like this too, that are unique.

You've done a great job so far!

I think it's lovely! Very inspiring indeed. All of my favorite free-form minimizes the yarn and emphasizes the gorgeous stitching.

I second Debbi - I would probably like it best for a baby if it ended up in a regular square or rectangle. I don't know how you'd be able to do that, though. I think it would really depend on the personality of the parents.

Keep us posted!

~ Joy

I don't know a THING about freeform, but it seems to me that when making something like this, you would want to take the "central" pieces and arrange them in some way to achieve balance. For example, the windmill and the raised flowers could possibly be distanced, then arrange the others around them in something of a fashion of the final shape that you are looking for (round, square, rectangle). Then, towards the end, you could freeform some "filler" pieces to make it come out to that shape where you have holes. I can't wait to see what it turns out like! What a great way to keep the project "new" throughout the whole thing!

Wow! I just want to touch it, to feel the different stitches! I'm not usually a pink lover but you just may have changed my mind. It must be neat to do this...something different all the time ( good for those of us who get bored so very easily LOL).

Can't wait to see the finished product!

This is fantastic!!!!!!! I can't wait to see the finished product. I just got a free form book but haven't started anything yet. Now you make me want to start right away.

Keep us up to date on your progress.

Great job!!

I would've never thought of freeform and all one color! What a GREAT idea!

Your blanket is lovely! I'm sure the parents will love it - whatever shape it turns out to be! :manyheart

Freeform in only one color is so much more elegant than the jumble of colors it's usually done in.

It shouldn't be too difficult to make this into any shape you want it to be....just keep adding little pieces where they are needed to fill out a square, rectangle, etc.

that is so beautiful, on the regular shape bit, when i made a rug i just kept putting it on the coffee table adding new scumbles to the bits where i could still see the table it didn't come out completely rectangular , but near enough to be useful

I just did my first 2 scrumbles a few days ago so I am not very experienced. If is a blanket meant to be used in a stroller or car seat then I think the elongated version you have is great. Otherwise to make it more square or rectangular maybe try some mesh? I have also seen people going around the edge with sc to even out the edges sort of framing the freeform.

Rachel

Oh How BEAUTIFUL! Freeform crochet is challenging enough in lots of colors.......but to use just one color and yarn type! Wow! That takes talent! You are doing a great job at it......can't wait to see it when it is all done!

AWESOME! I so admire people with a wonderful imagination. Can't wait to see it finished!

Thanks so much everyone for your wonderful comments and suggestions. :manyheart

I'm envisioning the blanket to be a kind of "play mat" for my 6 mo. old. Now that she can sit up and actively plays with toys, I think she will enjoy all the textures, bobbles, rings, etc. that are in the blankie. Now I just need to finish it!! I will definitely post again when it's a FO.

I'm really liking it! It reminds me of Irish lace, as it's usually done in one color and is believed to be the predecessor to modern free-form. I definitely cannot wait to see what it looks like when you're all finished! I just wish I'd thought of doing something like this for my bff's baby...Ooooohhh...there's still time! They won't be here until late next month...:hook

Archived