Kassie's T-shirt Dress in Thread! (IMG Heavy)

oldbaglady

This is a T-shirt dress I've made for my adgd Kassie. I started with a $2.00 T-shirt, and added a skirt, sleeve trims, and collar, all done in size 10 crochet thread. The skirt is designed so that (hopefully) she won't have to wear a slip underneath it, kind of full, and lacey towards the bottom, with a shell edge. The sleeves are also a sort of shell pattern, and the collar is lacey. I finished it off with a shell bead that matches my varigated pink color thread nearly perfectly. I can't wait to see her wearing it!

D1.jpg

Close up of the skirt:

Skirt1.jpg

Collar detail:

Collar2.jpg

And collar and sleeve:

CollarSleeve.jpg

Please let me know what you think.

How cute! How did you attach the thread to get started? I have 3 small nieces who would look adorable in that! How long did it take you?

Some of the patterns that I've seen have you crochet right into the t-shirt itself. I don't like that idea. I've pinned things on my own t-shirts before, and they leave holes that seem to get bigger and bigger with washing and wearing. My soloution was to embroider a chain stitch around the hem of the t-shirt, right between the rows of double stitching. Then I sc a row into those chain stitches, and continued from there. I did the same thing with the sleeves. The collar was crocheted as a seperate piece and sewn into place. The whole dress took me about five days, I think.

Kassie's mom has promised to take photo's of Kassie wearing the dress once I get it mailed to her! Hopefully, she'll share them with us.

Very pretty. I've seen those dresses made out of t-shirts and wondered about how to attach the yarn. Your solution seems so much better than holes punched into the fabric. Thanks for sharing and I look forward to pictures of Kassie wearing it.

:droolOMG! That's awesome. I've seen pictures of these before but nothing NEAR as classy as yours! Is this an original pattern? I love the stitches you've used. and you say your making a tank top one also? Oh I'd love to see it. I'd love to have a pattern, this would look great on my 2 yr old.

I absolutely LOVE it!:manyheart

The stitch you mentioned to start with, the embroidery stitch, I've never heard of it and would love to learn it as I would love to add edges to pillowcases, blankets and such.:hug

Did you make the collar and sleeve decorations separately? then sew them on? I was thinking of adding some to tshirts for xmas But not 100% of how to do it.

:droolOMG! That's awesome. I've seen pictures of these before but nothing NEAR as classy as yours! Is this an original pattern? I love the stitches you've used. and you say your making a tank top one also? Oh I'd love to see it. I'd love to have a pattern, this would look great on my 2 yr old.

I absolutely LOVE it!:manyheart

The stitch you mentioned to start with, the embroidery stitch, I've never heard of it and would love to learn it as I would love to add edges to pillowcases, blankets and such.:hug

There's a great video tutorial for making the chain stitch found here:

http://www.needlenthread.com/2006/10/embroidery-stitch-video-tutorial-chain.html

I used the same size 10 crochet thread to do my chain stitches as I did for the dress. I just did NOT pull my stitches tight, as I was working on T-shirt material, and I wanted a little give to it. The chain stitch works great to add edgings to all sorts of fabrics. BTW.. I remember my grandmother using the chain stitch to crochet edgings onto pillowcases, which is where I got the idea for doing it on the t-shirt.

The tank top dress is almost done, so I'll be posting it soon.

Archived