And Still Another Fat Bottom Bag

Amy

I finally got around to making the Fat Bottom Bag from Debbie Stoller's book SnB: HH. I made this in preparation for our upcoming beach trip in June.

fbb0002.jpg

fbb0003.jpg

fbb0004.jpg

fbb0005.jpg

I made some modifications to it. I created a lining with a central divider, creating two large pockets. Then I put small pockets on each outer lining edge: a single pocket on one side and a double on the other for my PDA and cell phone. In case the purse gets dirty, I wanted to be able to remove it from the handles to wash it. So I created buttonholes on the handle attachment part, and added 3 pink buttons on each side. Then I added small seashells on each side just underneath the handles.

I was looking at this and thinking very pretty, then Wow:eek I saw the inside. I love it.

The lining is a real eye popper. I sure do envy you girls who can line bags. Mine always get wonky.

That is a really neat bag Amy.:hook

looks great Amy. i love your idea to make it safely washable, very handy when you plan on taking it to the beach ;) it's a lovely colour too

And here I am thinking I was the FBB Queen! :laughroll

I :bow down to you, what an absolutely stunning bag!!

Mind if I copy your ideas the next time I make a FBB? (after I find my missing stash of handles of course :cry)

That's great...I'm definitely a pocket girl...I made the clutches in SnB HH but I haven't made that one yet! I need to find handles I like first! Great job!! Also, I love the color choice!!

I love the changes you made. Being able to wash it instead of "spot" cleaning is a huge perk.:yes And I adore the flamingos!

I really like the idea of being able to remove the handles for washing. I used bamboo handles on mine which will make it nearly impossible to wash.

• 4 weeks later...

I'll be happy to share how I did the buttons. It's really quite simple, although it does take a little bit of math.

I do a row of single crochet, all across the width. Then I look at my buttons and figure out how big a buttonhole they need. (If you guess wrong and your holes are too big, the buttons will slip out. You'll need to rip it out, and figure things out again.)

For the bag with blue buttons, I decided that a 2-sc-wide space would be fine. I had 24 stitches in the row. Since I was using 3 buttons, I need 6 stitches for buttonhole spaces. 24 - 8 - 18 stitches. I had to figure out how many stitches to leave at each end of the row, plus how many to leave in each of the two spaces between the 3 buttons. Since 18 divided by 3 is 6, I decided to leave 6 sc in between each buttonhole. So 18 - 2(6) = 6 left over to use on the ends. Great, I could put 3 stitches on each end.

So after my first row of single crochet (24 sc), I turned and:

3 sc, 2 chain (skip 2 sc), 6 sc, 2 chain (skip 2sc), 6 sc, 2 chain (skip 2sc), 3 sc. Chain 1, turn.

Work across row: sc into every sc and chain (24 sc).

This time, the numbers just worked out to be easily divisible and work with what I wanted to do. If I used a different number of buttons or had a different number of stitches on the row, things may not have worked out evenly.

Archived