Crocheted Nanduti for my Mom.

hseger

I made this crocheted version of the Nanduti that is made by Paraguay women in a spider web lace for the

World Day of Prayer.

th_crochet055-1.jpg

(clickable)

It is made from #10 thread and a #1 steel hook. I just used the first few rows of doilies from a doilies in a day book.

Info on Nanduti and it's significance and a photo of the art.

Ñandutí (niun-doo-tee) is a Guaraní word - ñandu (spider) and tí (the last part of morotí—white, pure). In ñandutí, or spider-web lace, all threads are united at one point; there are no loose threads. Ñandutí is woven in various designs and sizes, which implies diversity as well as unity.

It's the symbol for 'World Day of Prayer' which is the first Friday of March.

Absolutely gorgeous. You did a fabulous job. I've been toying with the idea of trying to crochet a mandala for the last few months...you've definitely inspired me to give it a try. :manyheart I have a couple of mandalas that were drawn on paper, but nothing in crochet. May not get it done by May 2...but you definitely added to my desire to figure out how to do it and personalize it so that it has meaning to me.

Thank you Diamond for that explaination.

I don't know much about it myself. My mom was doing the World Day of Prayer service in her area and showed me the Nanduti and how she might do it and I suggested the crochet.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived