Hair problems

So whenever i'm crocheting I usually watch tv and don't pay too much attentions, but whenever I look down I see hairs crocheted into my stuff!! I've tried pulling up my hair, braiding it... everything i can think of! The bad part is my hair is long enough that i can't just pull it out!

Does this happen to anyone else? and if so... how on earth do you fix it?

I really hate to give people things with long strands of my hair in with the yarn!

I have this problem! I swear I shed more hair than an average dog!

Personally, as long as it's not too notciable I leave it there. Other wise, I snip it out with a set of fine pointed scissors. I just gently lift a bit of it, snip, pull out what I can, then do it all again until the strand is gone.

I notice that happens more to me, when the yarn somehow gets on the floor, so I usually keep the yarn off the floor. Ideas might be to get a ziplock bag, put the yarn inside, with the end that you're using out, then close the bag almost all the way (leave a tiny bit for the yarn to go through). You could do the same thing with one of those yarn holders you can get at wal-mart, or just a tote bag with a zipper, close almost all the way, etc. I have long hair too, and it stinks to have hair in the yarn too... Especially if it's white, b/c my hair is dark brown, so it really shows up then... :( Good luck!

Victoria

I have this problem! I swear I shed more hair than an average dog!

Personally, as long as it's not too notciable I leave it there. Other wise, I snip it out with a set of fine pointed scissors. I just gently lift a bit of it, snip, pull out what I can, then do it all again until the strand is gone.

me too i do the same thing cause i always seem to get some in there, and my hair is short and usually pulled back in a hair band. go figure.:eek:eek:eek

i also have this problem, but not just with my hair, i have four cats, a golden retriever (all of who seem to be shedding an awful lot these days)and a daughter who has long hair that i have to contend with. i usually just pull out what i can and make sure i wash whatever i am giving away.

i use tweezers and tiny scissors. i am extremely picky about this, i go over and over an item to make sure all the hairs are gone. i even do it with things i have bought too. i have handmade aran knit sweater i bought at the mall years ago, i went and picked all the dark hairs out of that before i would wear it.

I was just wondering last night about this. I have looong blond-ish hair. I usually only pull it out as best I can when I notice it. The only time it's really a big problem is if I have to frog something and the hair gets wrapped around the yarn funny and won't let the stitches pull out. It seems the yarn wants to break before the hair! :lol I think if you get what you can see, by either pulling or snipping with those pointy scisors, almost no one else would ever notice... and if they do, it proves it was hand made with love.

just snip the end of the hair that is noticable and just think it will add to the warmth of the item you are making. you could always say when you use or wear this part of me will be with you lol.

Yup! That's my theory!

I really throw myself into my work. ;)

There is an old wives tale, told about knitting but I think it applies to crocheting as well. To bind someone to you for eternity you should knit them a gift and weave strands of hair into your work. The more strands of hair, the more completely bound to you they will be. So, go ahead and leave the hair there. If your recipients notice it, tell them it was on purpose.

:manyheart

After hearing this legend, a woman was heard to say, "Well, that explains why my husband likes the cat so much!"

There is an old wives tale, told about knitting but I think it applies to crocheting as well. To bind someone to you for eternity you should knit them a gift and weave strands of hair into your work. The more strands of hair, the more completely bound to you they will be. So, go ahead and leave the hair there. If your recipients notice it, tell them it was on purpose.

:manyheart

After hearing this legend, a woman was heard to say, "Well, that explains why my husband likes the cat so much!"

Here Here I was going to say the same thing one thing though the strand of hair has to stay in one piece or else it is bad luck. I have actually done this on purpose but made sure not to tell the recipient as some people would be grossed out but it.

I tell myself this too ! It makes the item so much more personal. I'll only take it out if it totally clashes with the yarn. i have med brown hair and it can look yucky in white yarn. I usually just snip :scissors at it until it comes out if it won't come out easily.

The same thing happens to me - my hair is almost 2ft long, so.... I finally just decided that I'm leaving a little bit of myself in every project - makes it more special! lol

I watch my work. I'm not good at doing more than one stitch without looking. So I usually catch it before it goes in the stitches. I leave my yarn in a small plastic box. I leave the top off. but that keeps it off the floor and couch. And keeps my little one from trying to take it away. (He knows to stay away from mommies yarn box now) I also put a small pair of scissors in the box and a tape measure. (One of those small roll-up ones made for sewing) That way it all stays together. Then when I need to put it down I can just put my project on top. Makes it easier to put away too.

I have really long hair, too, but I crochet with my eyes glued to my work, so I notice right away if it starts to get into the stitches. My main problem is the dog hair sticking to the yarn on its way from the skein to the hook. If there's the tiniest bit of dog hair on the couch, it sticks to the yarn. I just pull it off and fling it over my shoulder to the floor. I told my husband that if he sees a small pile of dog hairs behind the couch that it's because I'm flinging it over. LOL :D

I usually have to watch my work, because I always mess up somehow if I look up to watch something else while I'm crocheting. But, I do have that problem, too. My hair used to be pretty long, but I cut it recently. The last project I worked on, I had to do a lot of picking through. My hair was shedding and getting all into everything! I was really worried about it, too, because someone had paid me for it and I didn't want her to get something that had my hair all wrapped up in it! *blush*

Archived