Yarn preference

I'm more definate about what I don't enjoy crocheting with.

I don't enjoy most eyelash/fun fur yarns

Lion Brand Homespun is nice, but the ends frey so much and the hook goes through intead of around it too easilly.

I've decided that I really don't enjoy Read Heart SS, at least in the verigated. It is too 'crunchy' and feels like it is tearing up my hands as I work.

I don't enjoy working with thread, I don't have enough patience or sometimes dexterity.

I get tired of 'ordinary' WW acrylic yarns. I like yarns with character and texture all on their own. Most 'common' big box store yarns are all so 'perfect' and polished and characterless that I don't like them.

So, I guess for me it's got to be a color and texture thing. I must admit, Caron pounders or Caron SS are my favorite 'ordinary' yarns. I also like a lot of the Bernat yarns, since they seem to have some kind of character to them too.

:shrug

I guess you could say that I like any kind of yarn that I can get my hands on. For me, it doesn't matter what kind or brand it is....just so long as I can crochet with it....it's great!

I loooooove the feel of all yarn, but for actually working with, I'll take a worsted weight. Maybe just because it's what I started with and use the most, but the stitches just seem to fly when I'm using it and I enjoy it.

I enjoy crocheting with Caron's Simply Soft. I've tried Red Heart Super Saver before and it's too stiff and coarse. I had the same problem with Caron's Perfect Match...too stiff. I've crocheted a little with TLC Essentials and it's not too stiff or coarse...it's do-able. I want to try Bernat's Satin yarn and see what that's like. It looks like it has a really nice sheen to it. I don't do thread. Thread is too small and it seems to take forever to do anything with such thin material. Of course, all this is JMHO. lol.

Aimee

I enjoy crocheting with Caron's Simply Soft too I have done several afghans this past year in Red Heart Super Saver and have also used Bernat pink camo which I really liked also:yay I tried that eye lash yarn and never again:eek!

For me, it's Caron Simply Soft. Love the feel of Homespun also. (Changed to a Lion Brand hook (had a 50% coupon for AC Moore and bought the hook with it since the yarn I was buying was already on sale) and the Homespun really doesn't split as badly using that hook.

I love RHSS best, Caron SS and worsted weight in generall. I have some Bernat Softee Chunky that I love the feel of, but can't for the life of me figure out what to crochet with it. I'm working on a top with Luster Sheen, and it's such slow going since it's fine weight. I guess my tastes are very low-brow!

I love Homespun! Sounds like it's either a love-it-or-hate-it yarn though, judging by the comments in this thread. My other new favourite is Bernat Baby Lash - I'm making a lot of my Fuzzy Friends out of it and it's easy to work with and really soft :)

Cotton. My fave is Blue Sky Alpaca's Organic Cotton (okay, is it not just the coolest thing that it GROWS in those colors?). I also like Bernat Cotton Tots.

Alpaca. Plymouth Baby Alpaca (bulky or ww)... It's divine.

Silk. LOVE the Mango Moon recycled silk and Debbie Bliss Pure Silk.

Bamboo. Royal Bamboo, Bam Boo, any 100% is fine with me!

Soy silk, corn, seaweed... It's just fun to be able to tell people what it's made of and they rock, too!

I have some Bernat Softee Chunky that I love the feel of, but can't for the life of me figure out what to crochet with it.

Bernat Softee Chunky makes wonderful cuddly scarves.

i guess i really don't have a preferance. i don't really like the scratch stuff but everyone on here says to wash first and it softens up, have not tried that yet. if i had to choose i like caron simply soft and home spun, but will use whatever. i have even been using embroidery thread to make earrings. very rarely do i use what is recommended in a pattern, but use whatever i feel like using or whatever i have around the house.

I like yarn that can show off stitch patterns. I like all weights of yarn and love working with thread too. I really don't care for novelty yarns at all.

I generally like solid color yarn over multi-colored yarn. I don't mind variegated and ombres in thread when making bookmarks but like solid color thread when making doilies. I think the doily pattern gets lost in the multi colored thread.

For everyday crochet I like Caron Simply Soft. It has a lovely texture.

Knit-Picks Shine Sport is very nice to work with and wasn't expensive. I made a skit with it and it came out wonderful.

I like the cotton blends best for wearables. I had a cotton/silk that was fab, but it cost a fortune and I just made fingerless gloves with it. They are wonderful.

For thread I like Cebelia and Opera best.

Generally I go and touch the yarns and decide from there.

For me right now, I love to crochet with 100% wool or a wool blend. I had been making a lot of hats and bags to be felted this winter and was only using Paton's classic merino....I went to start an afghan with Red Heart SS....what a huge difference in the way it felt in my hands. I have never been a yarn snob....most of my stash is acrylic....but, I really do see why people don't like acrylic very much, especially if you work with a natural fiber for a while then switch back.

:)I love all kinds of yarn but Red Heart Super Saver is by far my favorite. It does work up stiffer than other yarns but all I do when I'm finished with a project is throw it in the dryer with a dryer sheet and it comes out really soft.

Debi Y. :hook

My favorite is RedHeart :heart SuperSaver. I actually like the stiffness of the finished product. Homespun and eyelash yarns are too hard to work with...I knit with them because the stitches are spread out. Simply Soft splits too much, but my mom loves it and TLC Essentials.

I depends on what I'm doing -

for my purses, I use RHSS - the aforementioned stiffness is good for a purse, but I do wash it in a stocking first if it's too scratchy.

I'm making a sweater (my first for me) out of TLC Essentials, and that's soft.

Homespun, well, I bought tons of it on clearance, so I have to use it up, but it's not my favorite. It's hard to find the stitches, on the one hand, but on the other hand, it doesn't matter where you put the stitches, since you can't see them anyway. So it's very forgiving of mistakes, as long as the pattern is also forgiving. But there is a learning curve with it for sure. It took me a while to get used to feeling for stitches rather than looking for them.

I like any yarn that shows off the stitches, too. That's the main difference, to me, between knitting and crocheting - crochet stitches are just plain pretty. Knitting is very plain, so if you have a gorgeous yarn that needs to steal the show, I would knit with it, rather than crochet.

For crochet, it's all about the stitches. At least to me.

Archived