Feeling Like I'll Always Be at Beginner Level

cgd

I think it's also very important to remember that we're very used to things being "perfect" these days.

Crocheted items are handmade, and there are going to be imperfections. Some stitches are going to be at a different tension than others.

There are going to be rows or pattern repeats where you just forget one dc or something, and it's far too late to frog tons of work to go back and fix it.

What you are making doesn't have to be perfect.

My grandmother has made my family afghans for years. It wasn't until I learnt to crochet and started minutely examining them that I realized SHE MADE MISTAKES!

Can you believe it? I never, ever noticed them before.

So, that's my "frog test" - if I put the piece on the love seat, and I'm on the couch, if I notice something iffy about it, I frog. If not, the mistake stays and I call it artistic license.

Sometimes, you do have to frog - I'm making a bucket hat for myself right now (it's stupidly cold here and I don't own a hat; it's not usually this cold where I live), and when I got done with the top of it, there was a noticeable lump in it. So, I frogged two hours worth of work and switched patterns.

I was having trouble getting my stitch count right, and rather than struggle trying to make it work, I decided the pattern was screwy for me.

I didn't fail; I just couldn't work with THAT pattern. And that's okay.

Now, sometimes, I'll get into a battle of wits with a pattern, and I'll fight it out until the bitter end. But that's when I know it's a good pattern (i.e., other people here have made it and it's turned out well, or it's my first attempt at something new and I'm using a paid, vetted pattern).

If I'm using a freebie pattern for something that should be easy enough, and I'm struggling, I just get a new pattern.

I'm not perfect, and neither are all pattern writers. I could be misunderstanding a direction they think is clear, or they could have made a typo, or miscounted their stitches, or maybe the planets just aren't aligned right.

Whatever.

And you know what else I do? Sometimes I *gasp* fudge it.

If I'm supposed to have, say, 60 stitches, and I have 62, I'll just throw in a few decreases on that round or row to get the correct number of stitches for the pattern repeat, as long as it doesn't throw off the look of what I'm making. Or some increases, as need be.

No need to frog an hours worth of work when it can be "fixed" with two or three stitches.

Is my work perfect? Nope. But it's done, it's wearable/useable and no one can tell there are some corrections to it.

I'm not crocheting to be perfect. I'm crocheting to be creative. I'm crocheting to play with yarn and color. I'm crocheting to relax and have a hobby. I'm crocheting to create beautiful things to give to people I care about.

I'm not crocheting to show off technical skills. I'm not crocheting to compete with knitting machines. I'm not crocheting to compete with other people who crochet. I'm not crocheting to prove my self worth.

Now, if I was entering a county fair with a crocheted piece, obviously, different rules apply. I'd most certainly pay attention to detail and make sure every stitch was perfect and my tension was even on every stitch and I'd made no corrections.

But the afghan for my daughter's bed is so not going to be entered into the county fair, lol! It's mostly likely going to be dragged around the house, have fruit punch spilled on it and possibly be used as a cat scratching post of some sort.

So yeah, not so concerned with perfection there, lol!

Amen! I fudge alot...I've discovered ways to correct a mistake without frogging...sometimes frogging is necessary, sometimes it isn't...it depends on what is going on. If the item is for me, I let certain things slide. If it's for someone else,or if it was going to be for a competitation, like Tiga says, different rules apply.

One can strive for excellence, but one has to beware of the perfectionism bug...'cause it can keep you from completing things...it can make things feel hopeless sometimes...

Back to mistakes...don't fear making mistakes, because they can sometimes turn into something short of a miracle...and you can always learn from mistakes...always.

I crocheted 20 years before I attempted anything other than an afghan or scarfs, that's when i learned to filet and do doilies. That's also when i learned to read patterns. However, I put crochet down in my teens and didn't pick it up again for about 10 years. You'll get there, just hang in there, keep at it, and keep practicing.

I also totally agree with Auntie K. Those lables can be misleading. I have started a "beginer" patterns that where in no way/shape/form beginer patterns. I've also done "advanced" projects, that could have certaintly been done by a beginer.

I have been crocheting for about 2 years. I just keep playing with it...lol. I try stuff, a lot of times beyond my level, some I get done, others sit there staring at me with loathing in their eyes... lol...

I just joined the stashbusting CAL and the amazing thing that has happened as a result is I am FROGGING all those old frustrating unfinished monsters and using the yarn to make things I'm good at and things I like!! It feels so good to have allowed myself to frog that stuff and just do what I want. Someday I will probably attempt those things again, but not now.

I also just started a little group of crocheters, just 3 of us, but we are getting together every other Friday for coffee and crochet. One has been crocheting 30 years, one has only done simple DC afghans, and I'm somewhere in the middle, although I have the least "time" in. LOL. Last week I showed them how to do a dishcloth pattern I like. Simple right? They were THRILLED! Neither of them had ever made them before. Next week? We're making a shrug! I'm so excited! (This will be taught by the 30+ years experience lady). She says it's easy... I'm gonna trust her on that one...lol.

You probably know some ppl who do this, maybe you just don't know it yet! If you've got a friend who crochets, hook up! You'll be suprised what you'll teach each other. And as already mentioned, ask questions here! I've learned so much just reading the posts, especially the crochet help threads.

Ok, I'm rambling like crazy... sorry bout that!

I've been crocheting in earnest for a year now, not counting the brief time I did it as a child. I've done dishcloths, place mats, caps, scarves and a couple of very simple afghans. I don't know if this should bother me or not, but I feel like I'll never get beyond the advanced beginner/early

intermediate stage. Each time I try something more challenging, it turns out crappy, as did the recent spate of garments I attempted. Does anyone else feel this way, and if so, does it bother you? Maybe it shouldn't bother me--I usually prefer simple things anyhow. Maybe I need some sort of crochet shrink!

I used to feel the same way. Until I found a pattern that I just HAD to make and refused to give up until it came out right. And that one accomplishment gave me the courage to try other, more difficult things. If you keep trying, I'm sure it'll come to you eventually.

You should keep trying challenging patterns. I find that once I get over the learning curve of a pattern, it gets easier. What I do to help figure out a pattern that's driving me nuts is to write it out in symbols. If that doesn't help, I just keep trying different things until I find something that feels right. If that doesn't work, then I'll try to find if I can contact the pattern designer (thanks, Internet!) or find out if someone here on C'Ville has done it and ask them about it.

If you see something that you really want to try, but are intimidated, see if you can find something smaller that includes the technique you'd like to try. For example, you want to try a cabled sweater, but it seems too complicated and long. Try a cabled afghan square or purse instead. When you finish you might find you have the confidence to tackle the sweater, or you might decide you don't like using that technique.

Remember, every time you make something you are gaining knowledge. If that more challenging piece turned out not as good as you wanted, you still learned something new. Like I tell my kids, you weren't born knowing how to walk, you had to grow and then try it a few time before you got the hang of it. The same is true of crochet at all levels.

I sometimes feel the same way. I have been crocheting a full year self taught. I often think it would be nice to attend an advance crochet class or maybe learn how to crochet with beads. Unfortunately, only knitting classes are available. I love to crochet and learn new stitches. Looking at all the beautiful items on this board encourages me to try advance projects.

Maybe I need some sort of crochet shrink!

Dr. Crochet McGraw is in the house and let's get real, people!

*I like Dr. Phil Show :D*

Since everyone's sharing their story, let me share mine also. I first learn how to crochet when I was in 6th or 7th grade and from an old magazine that my mom had. Mom taught me how to chain and sc and stuff but I relied heavily on the magazine. At the same time, one of my friends also started and when I struggled with weird shaping headbands, she already crocheted doll clothes :eek

Then my brother was born and I stopped crocheting completely until 2 years ago when I was in the process of moving to FL for grad school that I started again. This time was an afghan that has weird curves because I didn't know how to count and nobody was there for me either. But I persevered and finished the twin sized ripple afghan. And that was pretty much it, I didn't know what to do and how to do it either. All I knew was I love to crochet, I love the feeling of a yarn and a hook in my hands. And I was pretty bad at everything except for hats and scarves.

Things changed when I found crochetme magazine and saw Chelle's website. I used her free patterns to make ponchos for the kids and realized "Hey, I can really do this!" From her website, I found this forum and it really makes a difference on how I crochet.

Now let's go to the part where I became better. For some weeks I just read the show and tell threads to drool on the products. Then what hit me was the Patricia Pepe skirt CAL because it has graphs. I'm not the type of crocheter who follows patterns religiously, I'm more liberal and rebellious I guess. So graphs were a miracle. I really learned from the CAL and CAL-ers really support each other in every step. After making the skirt, I felt about a foot taller in my crochet skill and believed in myself more.

But the thing is not every time you make a garment you end up having a happy ending. After the Pepe skirt, my hit and miss ratio was about 1:5; that means every six garments I made, I disqualified 5 of them. Painful, right? But believe me, I learned. Like substituting yarn sometimes is not a good idea. If the pattern asked for LB homespun and you use some yarn that's rather smooth, your garment will end up looking stiff, not fluffy. Like counting is important, and proper body measurement is crucial (otherwise you'll end up with something too big or too small.)

Now my hit and miss ratio is about 1:2 or 1:3 which is significantly better. Also, try using a more expensive yarn. It really makes a different and you'll enjoy crocheting more. My mistake at the beginning was to have an acrylic yarn budget. While some of the stuff looked fine, most of them are kinda boring. So don't bore yourself with just acrylic, go find more variety of fibers and enjoy them.

Oh yeah, one last thing: feel free to frog. When you're frogging, you're learning. Nothing's perfect unless you frog it. Had I learn to frog, I wouldn't have my weirdly shaped blankie but rather a good looking one.

Making garments is a journey. If it's easy and fast to make, everybody's going to make them and nobody will appreciate the products. Just take your time and let the garment grow. Instant gratification is good to a certain level but for your own development, you should challenge yourself too. My suggestion is to join a garment CAL, even the ones that seem to stop working may be picked up as people tend to answer questions well in this forum.

And last but not least, have fun! :hook

Let me add a few more things:

1. Get the 63 Squares booklet - the first one with the teal and rose squares inside (doesn't matter what the picture is on the outside). That's what made me realize I can do the "hard" stitches.

2. Borrow Donna Koohler's Encylopedia of Crochet from the library, or buy a copy. Excellent explanations of the different types of stitches and includes both charts and text. I refer to whenever something in a written pattern is unclear. It's often gotten me out of a jam.

3. Learn about yarn and substitutions. Like Shortylam said, using RHSS to make a drapey shrug just isn't going to work. There are affordable alternatives to the high end garment yarns out there - just ask here for advice if no one local knows how to substitute properly.

4. Check your gauge. I'm currently making myself the Bell Sleeve pullover from a magazine. It's designed by Lily Chin - a very respected designer. I used the hook the pattern called for, with a yarn the same weight as the pattern called for (although not wool). And I had to go up THREE hook sizes. If I hadn't bothered with that gauge swatch, I'd have had a lovely, tiny sweater for my 4 year old daughter.

5. Frogging - I realized, as I started a new project this morning, that I usually frog the first 5-10 rows of every project at least once, sometimes twice. I just have to get used to the yarn, the pattern, the hook I'm using. Better to frog in the beginning than to wait until the end. For things other than garments, I usually just do a few rows (unless they have 100s of stitches in them) to check gauge, and frog as needed. If gauge is good, and I'm doing okay, I continue.

I hope this advice helps you guys who feel stuck.

Everyone should have fun with yarn!

I totally agree with this. The first thing I made clothing-wise was a vest for my daughter (3 at the time). I had to frog it so many times...but I decided the pattern wasn't going to conquer me! Years later I have nieces that still wear that original set.

The one thing I tell my students that want to start clothing is: Start with something small. Start with a baby item. That way you get the practice of the shaping without the mundane work of an adult item. Then if you don't have babies in your life, donate it...either way its good practice!

biz

Good advice here! I agree with bizzyboppers about baby items. As a matter of fact, check out this CAL. Hopefully this will give you more confidence.:hook

Let me add yet another thing -

Years ago, I took lessons to learn to play guitar. This was around 1986 or 1987, so I wanted to learn to play quick n' dirty electric guitar, like all the long hair rock gods of the day (good gravy marie, the music I used to listen to....).

My guitar teacher would NOT teach me on an electric. He said it was too easy. He told me it's always best to learn the hard way first, and learn it correctly. Then, you can go back and do the easy stuff, and do the tricks and the cheats.

I actually use that philosophy in so many parts of my life. My daughter has had some disabilities since birth, and some moms I know who have kids with similar disabilities did for them all the time. I've been a "mean" mom, and made Ellie do it the hard way. And now she can do the easy stuff with ease and can at least try to do the hard stuff, like climbing or going down the tunnel slide by herself.

I did the same thing with crochet. My first finished object was a stole I designed myself in a pattern of fan stitches with different stitch counts in their pattern repeats. It took a lot of time and effort on my part, and a lot of learning went into that piece. But I did it the hard way first, so now I have tons of confidence to try nearly anything. I also know my limits (as pretty as they are, I will NOT be crocheting any floor length thread curtains in this lifetime, lol!).

So go ahead and try the hard stuff and learn from your mistakes. Failure IS an option. To fail isn't a bad thing. It's a learning experience.

I taught myself to crochet 20 years ago and made mostly afghans in simple repetitive patterns. I crocheted quite a few but didn't feel that I really knew how to read a crochet pattern.

Then while we were waiting to adopt I took lessons at a small local shop. Started with a scarf, a small purse and finally free styled a dress for my daughter in Pearl Cotton size 5. This was a trememdous boost in my confidence and skills. I made a baby sweater too.

Following that I joined internet swaps - for 7' squares that required pattern reading (yarn) , doilies and bookmarks in thread. This was my practice stage for reading patterns.

I now still do the simple repetitive patterns for afghans but am not afraid to try more difficult things.

I just don't have the time between work and family time is limited. So I crochet my afghans while watching TV and squeeze little things in for swaps (see my siggy below) in between times.

Good Luck!

Then there's the time issue...I work full time...or more than full time, and I'm pretty tired when I get the time to sit in my chair at night, usually I get in about 15 minutes of crochet and just am too wiped to keep going. I just don't know how You SAHM's do it....Kids are a ton of work, and I don't know how you have any brains left to crochet when they've all gone to bed.

If it wasn't for crochet, the 'ville, and occasional novels, this SAHM would go nuts. The kids go to bed ONTIME :):hug b/c Mom needs her time :D. Oh ya, and the kids need their sleep, too. :lol So I get an hour or two in the evening. It depends how tired I am, for what I'll work on, if anything:manyheart .

Back to cqd's beginning post, I did a ton of afghans (sans pattern) when I "re-started" crochet in college. And discloths, and scarves, etc. After a while, I got bored of those and dared to venture to other craft-type crochet things...ornaments, stuffed toys...an old yo-yo clown (call pierrot, but the book was still in b&w, probably 70's or sooner) from Thrift Store book. My first sweater was capital-A awful!! :blush Baby clothes are also something to try, quick and easy, not too many must fit details, since babies need room to move, and room for the diaper. Felting is another easy one to start with, you can experiment with your own ideas, follow a pattern, etc, and not worry too much...when you felt/shrink it, the mistakes disappear! (just get the good wool). Don't pressure yourself to "get past beginner"...just enjoy what you do, and if you want to experiment, go for it!! Even Edison when inventing the lightbulb found 10,000 ways it didn't work, before it did work :P:think

I'm there often, too. I don't know what skill level I am but I know I've learned TONS since I joined here and the more I learn, the more I realize how far I still have to go.

I've been pretty pleased with myself lately for making lovely things with complicated awesome cables, mittens, and making up my own scarf patterns, among others. However, today really threw me for a loop when I decided to try my hand at ripples! I figured so many people are doing them here, how hard can it be? (Insert shock-eyed smilie. :)) I just cannot get the ends to be decent. But I'll keep working on it.

So my confidence takes a blow, but I don't give up because I love crocheting so much and the thrill of finally "getting" something new is really worth all the hours and even days of frustration.

Oh, and I home-school my children so I am with them 99% of their lives. But it's great and I wouldn't trade it. I even get crocheting time while they're busy with books or projects somedays, and yes, it's lovely when they're all in bed and I get to relax, crochet, and watch one of my favorite TV shows. :) We all have such a great hobby!!

All I can say is 'I feel your pain'! :worried

I've been crocheting for about 5-6 years and last year, after collecting a gazillion beautiful cardigan & shrug patterns, I decided to try one that should have been totally the right level for me ~ and I was going by the pattern directions themselves, not the level 'assigned' to it. But, after trying it and several other even simpler patterns and getting completely frustrated to the point of not wanting to crochet at all anymore, a month or so ago I pick up my hook again & starting make afghans for my best friend's little boys.

Now, I'm back to being hooked! :wink

:dreamingI still want to move on to to sweaters & things so bad because there are so many gorgeous patterns out there, but it just doesn't work for me. I know my problem is all to do with gauge, but no one can ever tell me more than that. What do I do to fix it?! I change my hook size and the gauge is still off, just in a different way. Its incredibly frustrating! I can do baby sweaters since gauge isn't as important ~ make it big enough & they'll grow into it one way or the other! :blush

So, for now I'm sitcking with what I know I can do and what is rewarding to work on & finish. :) I just wish we had more crochet classes around where I live ~ I've found several beginner levels that I could probably teach myself, but to move on from there you're pretty much on your own. So, thank goodness for The 'Ville!! :cheer

:yarnKrista

My biggest question is, are you happy making simple stuff and enjoying it or do you feel you 'must master' every aspect of the craft? I can do afghans of several kinds almost in my sleep. They keep me happy and Project Linus suplied with goodies. I can do squares too, but don't because I hate joining. I am beginning to experiment with clothes (hard because i'm an XL kinda gal...). I have absolutly no desire to learn how to crochet with anything smaller than a #3 thread or D hook. I admire all the lacy little things you can do with thread, but I don't have the patience for it.

I say find an aspect of the craft you love and stick with it. Experiment occasionally, admire others' works and most importantly, have fun!

I remember my grandmother telling me "You're mother thinks all my work if perfect." and then she laughed.

Basically she told me that you'll usually find your mistakes when you're doing the next row. That's why the make inc.'s and dec's - so you can fix them. The only time she frogged was when the mistake was in the lacy parts because that you could really see.

Keep your edges straight, your borders strong and if the mistake is in the same color - nobody's going to notice.

Wow, I'm away from the 'ville for 2 days, and this thread exploded! Lots of good advice here. I need to relax and enjoy the ride and not worry so much about technical categories--it's not as if I'll be in Olympics of crochet!

I do have the 63 stitches book and Donna Kooler's Encyclopedia, among many other books, as I am an information/technique junkie. I love books in general, plus each one has 2-3 or more ideas I'll use. I'm experimenting with wearables, as chronicled in some past threads where I've wailed and moaned about the sweaters I made not turning out right. I'm trying one with lighter yarn (Luster Sheen), so I'll see how that goes.

I appreciate all the stories and thoughts!

Archived