Our House Part One (go to Part Two for posting)

JulieKay

What nice posts...LeAnna, your Hub-E is a gem:manyheart

Lorraine, what sweet neighbors you have!

Hi to everyone else...time for lunch. Making a ham and cheese omelet:D

BBL

• Replies 17.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sounds like a wonderful package of love for your sweetie and his kids. Way to go on getting the wedding ghan done! :clap :clap And good luck on all the orders. Sounds like you are going to be one very busy lady.

:birthday:flower:cake:flower:birthday Hope you have a wonderful day, Peaches.

Sounds like you are just about ready for the trip to Hawaii, Dusti. Soak up a little of that sunshine and warm weather for me, too. And take a dip in the ocean.

LeAnna, that is just so super sweet of your hubbie. I have one of my grandmother's Singer treadle sewing machines. It needs a new cord to connect the treadle to the machine, but other than that it works great. The cabinette needs some work, too. And I have an antique box with all kinds of fancy attachments for it, too, complete with instructions. :D I treasure it.

What nice posts...LeAnna, your Hub-E is a gem:manyheart

Lorraine, what sweet neighbors you have!

Hi to everyone else...time for lunch. Making a ham and cheese omelet:D

BBL

So while I had to go down the hall for a minute, Hub-E laid 3 cards on my computer...I come walking out and see them and realized that I hadn't signed his card yet...so I retrieve the card and go in the bedroom and sign it. And for the first time, I didn't sign the cats' name to it either...

So I'm like 3 cards? And he says, "They're not all from me..." So I open them up...his was great...funny, on point, and the next one is from Serenghetti and purrfect...and then the one from BB...made me cry...it's one of those cards that you don't really have to open up to read the message 'cause the picture on the right says it all. It had a BB type cat on the front (seriously, almost spitting image of BB) dressed up as a pirate with hearts too and inside it said, "Happy Valentine's Day Me Hearty..." and why this is such the purrfect card is that our Vashon High School's mascots are Pirates!!! That card will be framed...seriously.

I read an article in the last couple of weeks about "what women really want for Valentine's Day..." in fact I've read several such articles...and I'm starting to get annoyed with such articles. These articles keep insisting that women "don't want store bought cards, don't want chocolate or candy and don't want roses..." And there might be a kernel of truth to that, but just a kernel. If the card and the roses are truly given with the right sentiment (remember, it really is the THOUGHT that counts) the woman will be over the moon receiving them. If they are not, (and once I received a dozen roses from ex when it clear he was feeling far less than loving towards me) then they are a wasted beauty and the negative feelings are just magnified 10 fold if not more.

I don't know about you, but want EVERYONE really wants in life, and most especially on holidays, is to matter, to be noticed, appreciated and loved...and that can be just spending time together, or exchanging heartfelt gifts, sharing a meal, playing a game or simply chillin'...

I laughed (as did my cousin and aunt on Saturday) when Hub-E sidled up to me saying, "So I'm thinking over the weekend we could go over to Red Lobster for a Valentine Dinner...and let's call your dad..." And it's funny only because it starts out sounding like a romantic dinner for two pitch and the punch line being that we'll take my dad too...but I am all about Valentine's being about loving everyone, not just the whole romantic shtick...and I'll tell ya, I wouldn't have had it any other way...my dad totally appreciated it...he had other plans...he hangs out at the local Eagle's Club and they were having a sweetheart dance and he so was going to be there later...but a chance to have a Valentine's dinner at Red Lobster with his eldest kid...heck yeah, sign him up...especially when he told me what the Eagles were going to be serving...meatloaf...(for me it would be no contest...I'll take the seafood for 200 Alex...)

I hate reading or hearing people denigrade the day (or Christmas for that matter) as "a plot hatched by the greeting card companies...") and so what if it was (it wasn't orginally, but sure, all the holidays have gotten over the top commercialized...especially in this country) the choice is still ours to make as to how we want to express our love to our loved ones...and there is something to be said that if you save up all your love just for a holiday, instead of letting your loved ones know you love them most other days of the year, that might be a problem...but to me, the holidays just enhance the real love, not take away from it.

After my divorce, I took Valentine's Day most especially by the horns and still celebrated the day...with my friends, with my family...sure, I would have liked to have had a "main and principal squeeze" to get snuggly with too, but I was going to make lemonade out the lemons given me one way or the other...what was my options, to sit at home boo hooing (I had already done enough of that as it was...) That is not to say that I didn't have a couple of horrid Valentine's Day (or Christmases for that matter...) but I'd like to think those are in the minority...

So when you think good thoughts and say prayers today, please add this one: Dear God, It's Valentine's Day, please remember those with broken hearts, dashed expectations, those who are lonely, those apart from their loved ones for any reasons...Dear God, Be their Valentine today. Amen.

Big hugs, kisses and chocolate all around.

Just had to post again today--I forgot to say Happy Birthday!!!

Hubby just gave me a HUGE Russell Stover chocolate heart, 4 cute birdhouses (I love watching the birdies go to my feeders) and a beautiful plaque that I just put in my new curio he got me for Christmas !!!!

Im facing a delima ladies and gentlemen!! I have a ton of yarn in my storage... but not enough of one color to make a project where you have to go by colors... what should I do? I really want to crochet today.

make a pet ghan for the shelter...or a vet (like mine) who rescues animals. They can use them for animals being brought in to be euthanized so they have some comfort...

and pets are color blind...so the more random the better...all by making 2 round squares like the ones on the Happy Yellow House site.:D

I don't know about you, but want EVERYONE really wants in life, and most especially on holidays, is to matter, to be noticed, appreciated and loved...and that can be just spending time together, or exchanging heartfelt gifts, sharing a meal, playing a game or simply chillin'...

Leanna, you said it perfectly:yes

Okay, so I'm making heart shaped sweet potato pancakes for breakfast and we're sitting down to eat and the UPS truck shows up...and we are expecting a bunch of different things we've ordered...but instead of those things...it was roses...I didn't expect roses since Hub-E is home with me this year...and I love the vase too. So 'Ghetti was outside in the rain and came in right after I arranged the flowers and I put the vase down on the floor so she could check them out ('cause she loves flowers too) and she purred and she meowed and she sniffed them and licked them and tried to bite them, but she was in 7th heaven...just like last year...

I'm sitting there saying to her, "Look what daddy got us honey???? Roses!!!" and I swear she's saying, "Awwww, you shouldn't have, (but I'm glad you did...)" Here is a picture of her from last Valentine's Day with the roses:post-2629-135897628219_thumb.jpg

Thanks!!!

Hubby just gave me a HUGE Russell Stover chocolate heart, 4 cute birdhouses (I love watching the birdies go to my feeders) and a beautiful plaque that I just put in my new curio he got me for Christmas !!!!

Awww...so sweet!

You said it so well LeAnna.

Okay, so I'm making heart shaped sweet potato pancakes for breakfast and we're sitting down to eat and the UPS truck shows up...and we are expecting a bunch of different things we've ordered...but instead of those things...it was roses...I didn't expect roses since Hub-E is home with me this year...and I love the vase too. So 'Ghetti was outside in the rain and came in right after I arranged the flowers and I put the vase down on the floor so she could check them out ('cause she loves flowers too) and she purred and she meowed and she sniffed them and licked them and tried to bite them, but she was in 7th heaven...just like last year...

I'm sitting there saying to her, "Look what daddy got us honey???? Roses!!!" and I swear she's saying, "Awwww, you shouldn't have, (but I'm glad you did...)" Here is a picture of her from last Valentine's Day with the roses:[ATTACH]34971[/ATTACH]

That's so sweet!

~~LEANNA~~~ You couldn't of said it any more perfect. I HATE it when people get soooooo caught up in material things and commercialized things. HATE IT!!!

Valentines Day for me has been spent the last 4 yrs. by myself......lol nothing any different. I surprise my little lady and she thinks it's great! She got the funnest new jammies and Justin Bieber shirt I will be surprised if she takes it off for the next week. lol And tomorrow I'm taking her to see the movie. She's ecstatic! I love it. She's the love of my life!

Can't remember who asked----maybe Dusti---about how many kids will be in my little family when I marry. He has 3. and they are 7,9, and 13 so Aree fits right in there. The 2 little girls are youngest I think it will be a lot of change but Aree will love it.

~~LEANNA~~~ You couldn't of said it any more perfect. I HATE it when people get soooooo caught up in material things and commercialized things. HATE IT!!!

Valentines Day for me has been spent the last 4 yrs. by myself......lol nothing any different. I surprise my little lady and she thinks it's great! She got the funnest new jammies and Justin Bieber shirt I will be surprised if she takes it off for the next week. lol And tomorrow I'm taking her to see the movie. She's ecstatic! I love it. She's the love of my life!

Can't remember who asked----maybe Dusti---about how many kids will be in my little family when I marry. He has 3. and they are 7,9, and 13 so Aree fits right in there. The 2 little girls are youngest I think it will be a lot of change but Aree will love it.

Basically all the articles were saying the same thing...and I'm trying to say the same thing, but with a twist...what I've notice when someone harps about how they don't "want to do Christmas or Valentine" and using the excuse that it's "too commercial" what I hear really is that they don't want to be put out...in any way, shape or form. I had a friend that would get hurt feelings because the wedding anniversary, the birthday, let alone Christmas and Valentine's Day would not even enter her husband's mind enough for him to take 2 minutes out of his day and tell her "I love you, I'm glad I married you, Merry Christmas, Happy Valentine's Day" or what ever, again let alone get her a card, or a rose or a pair of diamond earrings or take her to dinner. We all kept telling her that she needed to speak up and she kept insisting that she "shouldn't have to..." Well, happily after 10 years, he's figured out that he loves her more when she's beaming than when she's not, so this year, he got her the flowers and what not...it's a win/win.

It's not about the material things...it IS about the appreciation factor...but I will say that the material things are that much nicer when there is true love attached...especially when they are given when you least expect it.

I think I fell in love (or started to fall in love) with Hub-E when I asked him where he got the Bar B Que Shake and Bake mix, 'cause I had seen it on the shelves in 10 years and when he told me, I asked if he would get me some ('cause at that time he was just my landlord...) Well, he shocked me a week later when not only did he get me one, but two of them...he LISTENED to me and he HONORED the request...wow, what a concept.

It's a small thing, but it makes such an impact you know?

Hub-E was reading something yesterday or today that said that there was a poll that showed over 50% of women would break up with their boyfriend if the boyfriend didn't obverse Valentine's Day in some way...now kneejerking, one could take that as the women being nothing but materialistically shallow, but I don't see that, I see the boyfriends missing an opportunity to go the extra mile to show how they feel about their girlfriends (and husbands for wives too...) Again, it doesn't have to be just about the cards, flowers, candy or jewelry...it doesn't have to be about any of that, it can be about just being sincere and heartfelt and use one's imagination. If the gal's into crocheting, and he gave her a bouquet of yarn, I think she's be over the moon, n'est pas?

But there are some women that do like the cards, flowers and candy...but I can pass on the jewelry...sure if I got some diamonds it would be nice...but it's not a big deal to me...but I do know some women, that it is...

Have you seen the show "The Middle?" Around Mother's Day there was an episode about how Mother's Day for Frankie (played by Patricia Heaton from Everyone Loves Raymond) is different for her than Father's Day is for her husband. For her husband she put a lot of thought into his gift, and he was ecstatic and how wonderful it all was, whereas Mother's Day, her gifts were a last minute afterthought, and even if they weren't, they were still ill planned. Bottomline, she didn't feel appreciated on Mother's Day as he felt on Father's Day. It totally wasn't fair, but it was funny because so many people could relate to it.

Just to let everyone know...

Jules got checked out by the doctor and is home. Her hubby is also sick and they're both hunkered down trying to let this thing run its course.

She says she'll check in when she feels up to it.

LeAnna...ghetti is very girlie..loving roses that way:yes

When I lived in Germany I would buy roses more than I do now...or even just a mixed bouquet...I could do the same here, but it's just not a priority, plus, it was cheaper to do so over then than it is here.

Well girlfriend (what I call 'Ghetti sometimes) would go crazy when I brought home flowers...she just loved them.

Jules got checked out by the doctor and is home. Her hubby is also sick and they're both hunkered down trying to let this thing run its course.

Thanks for the update and Julie, get better soonest.

Good evening friends!

Hope you don't mind if I don't individually respond to everyone but wanted to comment that I liked what LeAnna said so perfectly-

"..what EVERYONE really wants in life, and most especially on holidays, is to matter, to be noticed, appreciated and loved...and that can be just spending time together, or exchanging heartfelt gifts, sharing a meal, playing a game or simply chillin'..."-- It IS all about being kind and taking the time to show a little love-

Peachy-:bday:birthday:cake. Hope you are having a good day- as far as lots of different color yarns- how bout the granny stripe afghan from Attic24? http://attic24.typepad.com/weblog/granny-stripe.html

Judy- Thanks for the update on Julie (and Sam) Postive thoughts for a quick recovery for both!

To EVERYONE! Sending lots of :manyheart - thank you for being YOU!!!!

Hi gang

Just a shout out . Too tired to do a blooming thing tonite,so wil be up early tomorrow and attempt to respond to the busy boards today .

Still kicking,but man am I beat and now poor Sam has it . He stayed at work all day but doubt he will be able to go tomorrow. This is NASTY crap .

You all have a good night --will yak tomorrow.

I'm glad you all liked my comment. I going mano a mano against one of my male cousins about Valentine's Day "being a fake holiday created by the cards companies..." *rolling eyes.* I was talking to a friend about it and she said, "You know if you don't like the card companies, and don't want to spend money, then make your own stuff..." But you see, when I hear that whole line about how commercialized things are, most people who say that, don't even want to make the effort to even write a love letter, let alone spend the money on a card that could express the same sentiments...they don't want to be bothered what so ever, and that's what bothers me most.

My cousin was going on about how he can tell his mom he loves her any day of the week (and I'm sure he does let her know that he really does love her...) but there are many who don't...either because they don't feel confident, or they can't express themselves, or they simply do not want to...I know there are people that simply don't believe in love...of any kind.

Anyway, I'm just venting a little...I usually get this way about the constant sniping about Christmas, but it's spilling over into Valentine's Day...I've got to find a way to just enjoy my holidays my way and put blinders and earplugs about the rest of it.

LeAnna, you're not going to change people's minds....so just sit back and enjoy the holidays the way you like to:)

I've been working on my Homespun squares. I finally dug out all of it and it's in a giant tote bag (Joanne, and meetup friends - it's the giant bag I had with me Saturday). The smaller amounts of yarn I untangled and wound into balls.

Some squares will end up being multicolor:D

It feels good using up my stash.

Off I go for the night. :hug:manyheart

Good evening ladies :hi

I'm going to be brief because I need to get my :hook and :yarn moving to finish these socks tonight :eek

When I got home I cooked some chicken and pork chops that I pulled out of the freezer saturday night, but never made on sunday. So now I'll have leftovers during the week :yes I much prefer cooking on the weekend than during the week, but I didn't want to be eating out too much :lol

I got my annual flowers from my parents :lol They also sent the 2 receptionists a single rose each today. Of course Mary knew it would come since she's been there a few years with me now, but Laverne was taken for a loop. She totally didn't expect that and she was near tears soo excited! Her husband just passed away last month and she was already having a bad day today :( Since I don't have a special someone to share the day with, I'll get my hands a moving ;)

Oh, and BTW LeAnna, those red lobster biscuits are to die for :drool

Thanks, Judy.

Hi gang

Just a shout out . Too tired to do a blooming thing tonite,so wil be up early tomorrow and attempt to respond to the busy boards today .

Still kicking,but man am I beat and now poor Sam has it . He stayed at work all day but doubt he will be able to go tomorrow. This is NASTY crap .

You all have a good night --will yak tomorrow.

Poor, Julie! :hug :hug :hug I hope you and Sam can both kick this nasty little but out of there really soon. :kick Don't need it around any longer.

It's been a really nice day. Joy called and we had a good chat. Lots of birthday wishes received, and John brought home supper from one of my favorite restaurants. Yummy. Greek Calamari, Chicken Souvlaki, Ceasar Salad, and red velvet cake.

I got all the material for the challenge quilt washed, dried, and ironed this afternoon, so can start cutting and sewing maybe tomorrow morning. :yes

Hello everyone. I ended up working 12 hours today, and I will likely do the same tomorrow, so this is going to be short. (I think!) Its extremely busy at work, and my conscience wouldn't let me leave after 8 hours.

First :bdayLinda and Peaches.

Tab, glad the trip to the conservation area improved your spirits.

Julie, hope Cam doesn't get what you have, and that you (and Sam) feel much better soon.

Mary, hope you had a good time with Luke today.

Marlene, don't know what that test is. Hope your brother is okay.

LeAnna, what a sweet thing for your hubby to do. My hubby can be quite sentimental, but I can't see him buying me a non-working sewing machine, unless he was positive that it could be fixed. cute picture of Ghetti with the flowers.

Linda, those neutrals will look terrific with the other fabrics. I'm really looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

Kiyo, sounds like your sweeties kids really liked their valentine packages.

Lorraine, your neighbor sounds like a real jewel.

I read through all the posts, but my mind is a blank for the rest.

Good night everyone.

Archived